I know nothing about schematics and such, but if I learned how to read them, how hard would it be to make a tube amp head? More specifically, how hard would it be to make a Dual Rectifier head? Also, how much do you think it would cost to make this?
It's quite a difficult amp to read the schem for. I'd say do something like a Ruby first, then work your way up to a Rec.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by Alex Vik
I know nothing about schematics and such, but if I learned how to read them,
Learn how to read schematics by building something simple, then moving on to something more difficult. A fuzz or OD pedal is a good place to start. Or one of the little practice amp projects, like the Ruby that was mentioned.

Quote by Alex Vik
how hard would it be to make a tube amp head?
Not a good place to start. A simple tube amp would be an intermediate project, not recommended for a beginner.

Quote by Alex Vik
More specifically, how hard would it be to make a Dual Rectifier head?
A DR isn't simple at all. This is more advanced than intermediate.

Quote by Alex Vik
Also, how much do you think it would cost to make this?
'bout tree fiddy.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hey SYK. I have about 7 12ax7's and about 12 6l6's, is it at all possible to get some english crunch out of this? What would you recommend to build for this? I have some pretty good building experience, I have good soldering skills and I can read a schematic quite well.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Learn how to read schematics by building something simple, then moving on to something more difficult. A fuzz or OD pedal is a good place to start. Or one of the little practice amp projects, like the Ruby that was mentioned.

Hmm, I might attempt an OD or practice amp then. Any way to make the Ruby something like 40 or 50 watts? Or would that be too hard for a beginner? And how much would the Ruby cost?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Not a good place to start. A simple tube amp would be an intermediate project, not recommended for a beginner.

Ah, so is solid state easier for beginners?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
A DR isn't simple at all. This is more advanced than intermediate.

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it would be hard since I looked at it and went "WTF?".

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
'bout tree fiddy.

That's a lot less than $1800. Too bad I don't know how to make amps.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Oct 27, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Hmm, I might attempt an OD or practice amp then. Any way to make the Ruby something like 40 or 50 watts? Or would that be too hard for a beginner? And how much would the Ruby cost?
You could design something around one of the single-package amplifiers that are capable of higher output. But the cost goes up. And you aren't gonna run one of those off a 9v battery or a wall-wart. That's one of the things that makes the Ruby and the simple pedals attractive. Fairly low cost and simplicity. Learn to walk before trying to run, and all that.

Quote by Alex Vik
Ah, so is solid state easier for beginners?
Voltages in the single or double digits, not hundreds. Safe.

No heaters to mess with. Simpler.

Lower cost parts. Cheaper.

Quote by Alex Vik
That's a lot less than $1800. Too bad I don't know how to make amps.
"tree fiddy" was a joke. there's just too much variability in prices depending on the quality of iron and valves you select.

Quote by sesstreets
Hey SYK. I have about 7 12ax7's and about 12 6l6's, is it at all possible to get some english crunch out of this? What would you recommend to build for this? I have some pretty good building experience, I have good soldering skills and I can read a schematic quite well.
British tone has a lot to do with the tonestack and the partially bypassed cathode resistors causing a roll-off of the bottom end of the frequency response. A little bit to do with the EL34s commonly used.

Maybe start your design around Fender Bassman or Bandmaster, but use the tonestack from a Marshall or Vox. And put switches in to add a larger capacitor (ala Fender) to downsized cathode bypassed cap (ala Marshall) for the preamp stages.
... and a master volume, so you can open up the volume in the preamp to get some crunch, without having it so loud at the output.

If you need more info, make a thread when you're serious. Let's not hijack this one, k?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Alex Vik
I know nothing about schematics and such, but if I learned how to read them, how hard would it be to make a tube amp head? More specifically, how hard would it be to make a Dual Rectifier head? Also, how much do you think it would cost to make this?

basically what you are asking is somewhat akin to this:

i dont know chinese but if i learned how to read chinese how hard would it be to write an epic chinese novel about love and war in the 16th century?

with the answer being that it would be impossible to assume that just being able to read something does not mean you can immediately, or for the foreseeable future, expect to build something that functions as intended. you need to learn all aspects of a language, be it chinese or electronics. start at sentences first (simple circuits) and work your way up to more complex paragraphs with the knowledge of how sentences work together within a paragraph before you start writing books (build dual rectifier heads). plus then there all the proofreading because typos will render your project useless, especially if you dont have the knowledge to go and see exactly where its going wrong.

thats one of the more coherent analogies i've come up with in recent times.