Poll: Which do you prefer Coil Splitting, or parallel wiring?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you prefer Coil Splitting, or parallel wiring?
Coil Splitting (sometimes wrongly identified as tapping)
21 51%
Parallel Wiring
10 24%
I dont understand electronics
10 24%
Voters: 41.
So I've dont some reading on Coil Splitting and wiring in Parallel. Basically what i get is they both give a single coil sound. Coil splitting but useing a single coil from a humbucker, and parallel by wiring the two coils in a humbucker to work like having 2 single coils on rather than making two single coils a humbucker.

My questions are to those who have used or have these wiring types.

1. Between Coil Splitting a humbucker or wiring it in Parallel which is your favorite and why?

2. Does one sound more single coily that the other or do they sound pretty much the same except parallel wiring bucks your hum?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Coil splitting. It's more useful tonally, IMO, and can sound authentically "single coily," depending on the power of the pickup. I have a coil splitting setup on my PRS.
Hi, I'm Peter
What you can do is similar to what I have on my Parker. They work as a regular humbucker, but when I pull a pot it only operates one coil. I can do that with both humbuckers. Seymour duncan actually makes a pickup mount with the prewired stuff to do that. Check it out.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Dirk Gently
Coil splitting. It's more useful tonally, IMO, and can sound authentically "single coily," depending on the power of the pickup.

More important than power, the humbucker should have separate pole pieces instead of a bar magnet for authentic single coil sounds. Although, P-90s use a bar magnet and they sound .

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
My guitar has an HSS setup, and I can coil-split the bridge humbucker, and run the neck and middle in parallel if i want to cancel the hum. It's really valuable for me to have both.

As far as I can tell, they sound pretty similar, minus the fact that they are in different spots.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
i have this weird washburn tele that i plan on putting two humbuckers in as soon as i can get around to routing it. these pups were in my fm-260 and for no-name stock pups, they actually are pretty good. the guitar came wired for coil tapping and i could get a variety of sounds from them, and i hope to transfer all of that to the tele. but i bought two small on-off-on switches that will allow me to choose which coil im on. not sure if ill notice a huge difference but it will give me a lot more options. now only if i could find a wiring diagram for the piezo bridge.

never wired anything in parallel or out of phase. im sure its worth experimenting with.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Holy crap, someone who knows about parallel wiring and got his split and tap terms correct.

Anyway, parallel for me. Still hum-cancelling and the output different between split and parallel really isn't all that much, to my ears.

Though I've been experimenting recently as I'm building a new Warmoth Tele and I came up with the bridge Hot Rails in parallel, neck AMP humbucker (low-output, very clear humbucker) and the two pickups wired together in series in the middle position (usually for the middle position of Teles, LPs and the second and fourth position of Strats, the pickups are weird together in parallel). It's amazing, you get the full neck tone but with a little extra top-end cut from the bridge and wiring the two pickups in series adds a lot of power to it, it's like an overwound, hum-cancelling P-90 with extra response.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Oct 27, 2009,
for me, it depends on what i'm after. I think parallel is more usable, in that the volume difference isn't just so much, it's still noiseless, and is a less abrupt change- parallel still sounds like a humbucker, to my ears, just quite a bit brighter and lower in output. But splits sound more like a single coil, and if you're in a situation where you need a greater difference in outputs, could be more useful.

Up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Parallel - Basically what Dave MC said.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
for me, it depends on what i'm after. I think parallel is more usable, in that the volume difference isn't just so much, it's still noiseless, and is a less abrupt change- parallel still sounds like a humbucker, to my ears, just quite a bit brighter and lower in output. But splits sound more like a single coil, and if you're in a situation where you need a greater difference in outputs, could be more useful.

Up to you, really.

+1
Everything he said is true, but I find coil splits more usable. But I don't mind the drastic change since I never actually switch between them mid-song. I either want single-coil or humbucker tones. Parallel is like in the middle. Depending on the guitar, combining pickups with coil splitting will cancel out hum. It all depends on what you want.
oh, yeah, i probably should have remembered and mentioned that I was talking about dual humbucker, more gibson-style guitars. For superstrats and the like I'd probably find splitting more useful, especially if they have some single coils, too, e.g. HSH or HSS pickup layouts.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I prefer the coil split....sounds very very similar to a single coil...which is what I was going for.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I've never cared for the pseudo-humbucker sound you get from positions 2 and 4 on a Strat, so coil-splitting.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I've never tried parallel wiring so I'm gonna have to say split.
Although I love Paul Gilberts Racer X sound, and that was Super Distortions in parallel.
The Fender Jaguar Classic HH has a pretty cool thing where it can switch it's pickups into Single Coil pickups by rolling the wee switches at the top of the body.

Can get something crazy like 9 different tones from that guitar...
So then a question about parallel does it sound generally similar to 2 out of phase humbuckers, rather than single coil sounding?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Splitting. But I personally like a guitar that has both in, along with out-of-phase. I'm a huge fan of guitars with a bunch of switching to get all sorts of weird tones from.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
incidentally yesterday I only noticed my kramer which I have had for roughly half a year has a coil splitting setup
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave