Well I'm getting paid this Thursday and though it was time to get a good amp, right now I'm playing through a 15-watt Begringer GM108, its terrible I just borrowed it from a friend.

What I'm looking for is a combo amp that is good for cleans, I have a MiM Fender Fat Strat and I really wanna bring out that SRV, Hendrix, Gilmour kind of tones that I can get out of this guitar. I do not gig and I only play alone in my bedroom so I don't need a 100watt amp. I just want one that is affordable and will work for me. My budget is about 100-120 bucks, I was thinking a Roland Micro Cube or a Peavey Vypyr. I really would like it to have effects so I can really decide what kind of guitar style I want to play, since Ive only been playing for a little over a year.

So any suggestions?
micro cube is good. i dont know about others in that price range

EDIT: especially if u dont know what ur style is, u can get many tones from the micro cube
Well unfortunately, for $120 your not going to get a good amp. Try saving up for a while, maybe $300 - $500 and run to a guitar shop and jam on some stuff and see what suits you best.

If all else fails and you MUST buy a $100 amp, my suggestion would be a Vypyr or Spider IV.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Well I was thinking the Roland Micro Cube cause its 100% portable, that would just give me an excuse to buy a better tube amp in the future. My style is definatly blues and soft rock. Pink floyd, John Mayer, SRV, Hendrix, etc. so do you think the cube will be good for this and suit my strat well?

Anyone have any problems with the cube or vypyr?
Quote by JayT44
Well unfortunately, for $120 your not going to get a good amp. Try saving up for a while, maybe $300 - $500 and run to a guitar shop and jam on some stuff and see what suits you best.

If all else fails and you MUST buy a $100 amp, my suggestion would be a Vypyr or Spider IV.

ugh, theres a spider IV now?
definitely get the cube, out of those two.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Not open to spyders btw, ive heard they are horrible "electronic" sounding. Never heard a good thing about them even from friends.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
ugh, theres a spider IV now?
definitely get the cube, out of those two.

See, that's what I'm talking about - you didn't even know there was a Spider IV, so you obviously haven't heard it, yet you knock it. That's okay, I may have done the same thing. But yes, there's a Spider IV series, and it totally blows away the Spider III's. I've posted similar in other threads, but I was a Spider killer - I couldn't stand the buzzy, metal-centric tones coming out of those things, it was terrible. But when they first got released, I had to see for myself, to see if it was just the same old Spider crap. It's not. It's MUCH better.

That being said, Micro Cubes are Built Ford Tough (hahaha, maybe not the best slogan to borrow, or the best analogy). But seriously, anybody who's ever picked up a cube or inspected one knows this. And even Micro Cube is L O U D for it's size!!! It's a toss up man - you've got more FX and a larger speaker in Spider IV, or a solid little amp that's built like a brick that has lots of volume in the Micro Cube (that can also run on batteries, as you alluded to). So ask yourself - portability, or flexibility. Once you answer that, I think you'd have your answer.

One last thing - I used to favor Vypyrs or Vox VT's (the new VT's, not the previous AD-VT's), but seriously - the new Spider IV's are going to give them a run for their money.
Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head (custom finished)
Mesa 2 X 12 Rectifier cab (matches head)
Ibanez Prestige S 1625 Bubinga
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss NS 2
Boss TU 2
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by Undertow33594
Not open to spyders btw, ive heard they are horrible "electronic" sounding. Never heard a good thing about them even from friends.

Play it for yourself. They are good for practice amps... I'd only stay with the 15w and 30w versions though... They are not too good at higher volumes.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Now out of those three we listed which has the best tone. Peavey Vypyr, Roland Micro Cube, or the Spider IV? Opinions?
Quote by Undertow33594
Now out of those three we listed which has the best tone. Peavey Vypyr, Roland Micro Cube, or the Spider IV? Opinions?

Tough call here. It's not like any one of the three I can definitely say knocks the other two down for the count. Are you in a position where you can go somewhere and play these amps? I NEVER thought I would be saying this - EVER - but they did something way different with the Spider IV's, I would have to go with that. I used to like Vypyrs, but as I've mentioned before (either in this thread or a different one), I played the Vypyr Tube 120 in a real world situation, and it didn't cut it - all the amp choices started to sound the same. Granted, I know the Micro Cube or the Spider IV 15 won't be used in any truly 'real world' situations, but I would cross the Vypyr off the list. That leaves Micro Cube and Spider. Spider is more versatile, it has more tones IN it than the Micro Cube. With that said, MOST OF the tones are actually pretty good. I heard one or two models I didn't like, but even taking those out of the equation, there are still more tones in it then the Micro Cube.

So, again, you have to ask yourself - versatility, or portability and ruggedness? Spider is WAY more versatile than Micro Cube, but Micro Cube is more portable (batteries), and built way better (it's solid), than the Spider. If it were my own money, I would spend it on Spider, if that's where your budget is at.
Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head (custom finished)
Mesa 2 X 12 Rectifier cab (matches head)
Ibanez Prestige S 1625 Bubinga
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss NS 2
Boss TU 2
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Just don't do it... no spider IV... I understand what JayT44 means when he says "if you must buy a $100 amp," but you do not have to do it...you can make due with the amp you have until you can afford a better investment...

If you buy a $100 spider (15 watt) you don't even get all those song presets and the other effects and models. Also, after playing a spider for a while you will realize that you can't get a decent SRV tone because it always ends up sounding too digital and when you turn the volume up you lose any decent tone it has... and the sound gets thin and brittle. Plus they are plagued with black box syndrom (component failure).

Roland Cube gets good reports, but I must admit I have never played on one...

If you're working you could save another pay check or two and get something much better. Hell, I just saw and 6 month old SCXD with a new celestion installed go for $225 on craigslist. That would get you in the ball park of what your looking for tonewise for a very reasonable price and very bedroom practice applicable.
~JP~