i put thick strings on my guitar about a week or two ago. my guitar sounded good and everything. today when i picked it up i kinda noticed the strings were higher than last time. any advice on what to do and how to prevent this sort of thing from happening again?
Just re-tune it. When you put new strings on it takes some time for em to get stretched out and everything
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
What kind of guitar?

If you mean physically higher from the neck, that's an expected change if you put heavier strings on -- sometimes it'll take a few days for the changes to take place. You may have to do a truss rod or bridge adjustment.
Hi, I'm Peter
Sorry I read it as tighter instead of higher. Dont think I can help you there
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
^ Ah, ok...well, you got a couple problems, most likely. A Strat bridge is a tremolo system, which means that your bridge pivots on a fulcrum (those screws in the front), and the tension of your strings is counteracted by springs that connect the bridge to the body (that white panel on the back of your guitar). Heavier strings will provide more tension than the springs can handle and the bridge will ride up. The solution is to add more springs and to screw the spring plate (the metal piece where they attach to the body) further in.

If you don't know what a truss rod adjustment is, I don't think you should bother performing your own truss rod adjustment.

You should check out the Fender homepage and get an instruction manual. They have pretty good instructions on how to do basic adjustments to your instrument.
Hi, I'm Peter