hey all, i am looking at getting a new amp in a few weeks, and have it narrowed down to a peavey 6505+, mesa dual rectifier, or an orange rockerverb 50 . my playing styles are along the more aggressive side of hardrock/metal and i dont need a great clean tone ... i was hoping maybe some of you guys hear could give me the pros' and cons of each one to help me decide.

the kind of tone i am looking for would be along the lines of sevendust's song "praise" or slipknot's song "spit it out" .... if that helps at all
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Wow, those are all pretty different.

The clean and drive on the Rockerverb really get my vote plus JRoot uses them so. They are british voiced like the Marshalls. For strait up br00tal metal rhythm the 6505+ wins for a more american voiced amp followed by the Dual Rec which can be hard to dial in but offers more versatility. Also american voiced.

Not sure what that sevendust song sounds like so maybe lets do this:

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?

??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

The clean and drive on the Rockerverb really get my vote plus JRoot uses them so. They are british voiced like the Marshalls. For strait up br00tal metal rhythm the 6505+ wins for a more american voiced amp followed by the Dual Rec which can be hard to dial in but offers more versatility. Also american voiced.

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?

??

+1

However, Jim Root just started using Orange amps within the past couple years. I believe he was using a Rivera Knucklehead before that, but I'm not exactly positive.

Mick Thomson currently uses a Knucklehead and used a VHT Pitbull in the past.

I'm also in the dark about Sevendust - never really been into those guys.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?

??

the rockerverb 100 is brit voiced but the rockerverb 50 is 6v6 which tends to sound more american alot of low wattage fender use 6v6 to get that nice clip
my budget is 2000 for an amp head ... and i dont mind it being new or used .... i play hard rock/metal and my main influences are eddie van halen, jim root, and clint lowery .... an odd grouping of people i know but thats just what i kind of gravitated towards during different times of my playing. the amp will be used for both studio and live sound, with the majority of the time being gigged. my current gear is a schecter c-1, and a peavey wolfgang standard ... i have a vox 100 watt advt series combo i am using now .. i had a bugera 6260 but the head took a crap on me... and while i am at home i just play through my computer into some studio monitors . as for the closest city i am located in south texas a few hours from either san antonio, austin, or houston . i actually live in corpus christi ....

i have never heard anything on the knucklehead amps ... can anyone give me some more info on them ??

thanks
mike
You'll need something diverse. The 6505+ is not a diverse amp imo. It does one thing really well and that metal riffing. The Dual Rec is similar but has better cleans. It is a love/hate thing. The Rockerverb is my fav of those 3 but I played the 100. It's not too much more than the 50 cost wise. Tons and tons of gain.

It appears to me that you are only looking at brand new amps. While there are some advantages to doing that, mainly a warranty, I've found you can get a much nicer amp and even save yourself some cash by looking at used amps. Especially in the budget area you are in. Most of the amps that cost this much USED are very well made, well taken care of, and do not need a warranty. As you know, things that are issues with tube amps are usually tubes, and those are relatively easy to replace.

Anyway, I did a bit of searching in your area locally and these are all amps I would consider personally. Now, how well they do the tones you are searching for is another story. For example that Soldano may nail Eddie Van Halen but may struggle with Jim Root. I have zero experience with the Krank stuff but my take is they are also a love/hate thing.

I'm hoping MatrixClaw sees this as he has quite a bit of experience with Mesa's and can help bit with the Marshalls and Krank question. Also, I have a Splawn Quick Rod and I highly recommend that or a Splawn Nitro. They are within your budget and built to order as new. Lifetime warranty. Downside is, there is almost a 4 month waiting period. I see them used though on craigslist and eBay.

*Use the link in my sig to find gear!

Mesa Boogie Rectoverb combo $1200 (I know you said head but)
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1440433565.html

Soldano SL60 AND cab $1600
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1433673410.html

Krank Rev1+ head $1100
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1432573755.html

Marshall JCM 800 2203 head $1200
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1429274669.html

Marshall SJ 2553 full stack $2200 (sell the cabs)
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1428724488.html

Marshall JMP head and cab $1600 (not sure on grit)(was 1800)
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1413625984.html

Line 6 Vetta II with goodies $1300 (if you are into modelling at all)
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/1436524011.html

Mesa Boogie Road King $2,200
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/1418644638.html

Personally, I think that JCM800, the Soldano, or one of those Mesas is what I'd go after (just off this list)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by MYLILSS
my budget is 2000 for an amp head ... and i dont mind it being new or used .... i play hard rock/metal and my main influences are eddie van halen, jim root, and clint lowery .... an odd grouping of people i know but thats just what i kind of gravitated towards during different times of my playing. the amp will be used for both studio and live sound, with the majority of the time being gigged. my current gear is a schecter c-1, and a peavey wolfgang standard ... i have a vox 100 watt advt series combo i am using now .. i had a bugera 6260 but the head took a crap on me... and while i am at home i just play through my computer into some studio monitors . as for the closest city i am located in south texas a few hours from either san antonio, austin, or houston . i actually live in corpus christi ....

i have never heard anything on the knucklehead amps ... can anyone give me some more info on them ??

thanks
mike

Which era of Van Halen?

Eddie's most imitated tone is simply a uber cranked Marshall with tubes biased to melting point.

To add on to 311ZOSOVHJH's post about the Krank.

A Krank has a tone... which is hard to describe. Its sorta... I dunno... with a Krank you either hate the tone or you love it. So its an amp you'd need to test.

The Rev+ is great for metal, with reasonably good cleans. Its sorta a 1 trick pony for metal, but it does major variations of that one trick very well. In short, it does most kinds of metal very well, but it's not an amp you'd use for classic rock or jazz or blues etc etc.

Also, Kranks have a feature which make it highly versatile... namely the Sweep knob. What it does it shifts the range your mids affect. By doing so, it shifts the mid rang focus from lower mids to the higher mids and everywhere else in-between. Master that Sweep knob, and you'll have a versatile metal amp. Fail to understand it, and you'll hate the Krank with a passion.

Sadly enough, most people can't get to grips with the Sweep knob or test it for 5 minutes in a shop and can't get a good tone.

At the end of the day, you need to approach a Krank amp by thinking that you'd first need to adjust the voicing of its mid-range before you tweak the tone. Even then you'll still have to go back to tweak the mid-range voice.

the Krank is an amp that demands subtle touches when EQing, because its EQ section can be quite interactive. Be prepared to sit and twiddle knobs if you get the Krank.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 28, 2009,
i love all van halen tone, but mainly the sound he had on his van halen 3 tour. it was extremely raw sounding and very high gain ... and used amps are definately an option, so i am not ruling them out ..
Hmm, if you're into VH. I'd suggest you look into a Mojave Scorpion. I hear it's perfect for the VH "brown sound," but I've not tried one myself. I know a few members on here have owned them though, maybe they'll chime in. I'm not sure how it'd fair on your Slipknot stuff though...

Maybe look into a used Splawn Nitro. It will get a good high gain VH tone and sounds sick as hell for metal, plus it has a great clean channel.

As far as the Mesa goes, if you're looking for the hardrock/numetal tone more than anything, a Recto would be a very good choice, just don't expect it to have too great of a lead voicing. You could step it up and get a used Roadster or Road King though and have an awesome amp.

I've only tried a Rocker 30, so I can't really speak for the Rockerverb 50, but Jim Root uses Orange, so it should be able to cop a decent tone for that. I probably wouldn't pick the Orange though, for what you want, there's better amps out there for the money

You could also look into the Framus Cobra and Bogner Uberschall. Both awesome amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think you would be very happy with that JCM 800 or similar. Its got a raw tone to it. A modded 800 or something like the Splawn (which is a modded marshall clone) would work well. Kinda like a Rockerverb but not as gritty.

Another amp to look at would be the 5150 III the EVH sig head (and not because it is Eddies sig head) but because it is phenomenal. I didn't get to play it long enough to give my 2 cents but my buddy did. I also had the pleasure of seeing Eddie sober this past summer in a huge arena and it was some of the best tones I've heard evar. It has a 5 year transferable warranty, unfortunately there have been some quality control issues so you would have to be real careful with whatever you found etc. Splawns have the lifetime warranty, but it is not transferable. The flip side about the Splawns is that you will never need a warranty

Edit: ...I didn't even see M.Cs post when I wrote this lol.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 28, 2009,
for some reason i didnt even think about this amp ... but whats everyones opinion on a peavey XXX ? does it have as much gain as the 6505+ ? i hear it has a pretty good high gain channel, and cleans just really dont make a sh*t to me, as my clean channel usually has a bit of dirt to it anyways when im finished ....
Last edited by MYLILSS at Oct 28, 2009,
The Peavey's generally have a voicing that is opposite the Marshall, Orange, Splawn scenario. Now, the XXX with EL34's would be something to talk about and would save you some cash. They don't have quite as much gain and grunt as 6505+ in my opinion stock. They are considered 'brighter' than a 6505 if that helps. The new 3120 is a XXX basically with EL34s shipped $999.

The XXX, JSX, Splawn and Marshalls will have nice cleans. If you don't care about cleans and just want the br00talz then get a 6505, Rockerverb or Splawn.
i did some checking on the splawn nitro and am loving the sound of that thing. it is totally killer and has all the br00talz i am looking ..... i know there is a 3-4 month wait on one of these things ... so is there like anywhere to pick one up for used ? i dont mind spending money but i am a very impatient person..lol
Quote by MYLILSS
i did some checking on the splawn nitro and am loving the sound of that thing. it is totally killer and has all the br00talz i am looking ..... i know there is a 3-4 month wait on one of these things ... so is there like anywhere to pick one up for used ? i dont mind spending money but i am a very impatient person..lol

Harmony-Central.com and TheGearPage.net are your best bet, but there's always eBay, chances are you won't fine one on Craigs List unless you're in a place with a lot of musicians who play higher-end gear. I believe there's a Nitro up on HC right now, don't remember the price. I'd advise you to get the EL-34/KT-77 version though, it can be easily modded to the KT-88 version if you want, but the KT-88 cannot be modded to the EL-34 version as simply.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MYLILSS

Use the link in my sig as I mentioned and also look at the Splawns For Sale forum at splawnguitars.com + what MatrixClaw said.
well after a lot of thought and shopping from store to store i ended up going with a peavey JSX ... that thing actually surprised me quite a bit with the amount of gain it actually has on tap. after hearing what it sounded like at the local G.C., i found a JSX amp head on ebay for 600 bucks so i went that route for now.... after the first of the year i am going to order the splawn nitro .. i figured since i am so impatient i would get the jsx for now, and then order the nitro for later ..