Now I know that you guys get these a dozen times a day but I'm kinda stuck.

First i'll start with my music tastes.

Stuff I play The Offspring, Bad Religion, Rancid, Social D, NoFX, Nirvana, The Vandals, RHCP Pearl Jam, Seether and to a lesser extent I've been starting to play some Funk, Ska and some classic stuff (Kansas, Beatles).

So I'm looking for something versatile.

I have ~$350 for a guitar right now As high as $400.

Right Handed, 4 String Preferably

I've obviously been looking at Squier P and Jazz basses, And I played a Jackson C20 Concert Bass that played great.

I tried Ibanez GSR200 (before anyone suggests it) and didnt like it and I'd like to stay away from Dean. So I'm welcome to any suggestions.
Last edited by berzerker92 at Oct 27, 2009,
You don't NEED a bass, but I would go for a Flea Bass. But what do I know?

lol i dont know the first thing about basses
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
flea bass????

Edit: ^dam
Last edited by innertom at Oct 27, 2009,
that Schecter that pwrmax recommended is a good one. definitely check that one out.
besides that, i'd go with a jazz or p bass. maybe try some other ibanez basses.
none of those. basses that pwrmax recommended. you need a fender or a musicman.
My bass broke so I do need a new one.
I will be writing down the names of these guitars and going to my local music store and guitar center to try them out first. I was lookin at Flea Basses but I'd rather stay below $400 that's just a max figure. I honestly wasn't impressed with the squire j and p basses compared with my current Dean bass. I will def look at the Basses listed earlier though. Anyone else? I'm also going to try to find a used Ibanez ATK300 that's what Greg K. Of the Offspring uses and I love the sound.
look for a used MIM Fender Precision Bass. It has the punch and tone to cover the bands you like and is reliable as hell. Oh and like any bass, it's versatile once you learn how to change your technique to suit what you want to get. You should be able to find one used for anywhere from 300-400 USD.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Quote by berzerker92
My bass broke so I do need a new one.
I will be writing down the names of these guitars and going to my local music store and guitar center to try them out first. I was lookin at Flea Basses but I'd rather stay below $400 that's just a max figure. I honestly wasn't impressed with the squire j and p basses compared with my current Dean bass. I will def look at the Basses listed earlier though. Anyone else? I'm also going to try to find a used Ibanez ATK300 that's what Greg K. Of the Offspring uses and I love the sound.

A used ATK is probably your best bet.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
yes an ATK or a MIM P-bass would work great for getting a sound like those bands you posted
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Quote by BamaBlues
yes an ATK or a MIM P-bass would work great for getting a sound like those bands you posted

exactly. maybe a SUB or used Warwick?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
TS, The Jackson you played is a great bass.

Anything with a split (P) pickup will nail the sound you're looking for, as long as the amp allows for it. I'd look for a P/J, though...the J pup will add lost of versatility to the bass's tone.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 28, 2009,
i tried one of those Jacksons in purple and tbh it was a great instrument i was actually begging my parents to buy me it cause i fell in love with it sadly that music shop sold it

If you like the jackson i dont see why it cant be used its a great bass and as Mutant said its got a split P/J setup its gonna give you the sound you want.

Im actually gonna look at it as my next bass will be a good upgrade from a busted P-bass and an Epi T-bird even tho i love it to bits and its more sentimental and i like it for playing Franz Ferdinand and works well in a power trio its pretty boomy and its mainly root i play.

I say go with the Jackson tbh its a top notch bass and its just awesomeness imo.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Thanks for all the replys guys!

I will def. be checking out P-basses closer. I also found the Jackson bass I tried out grew on me real quick.

I checked out craigslist and got nowhere, would guitar center have used basses?

Does anyone have any knowledge of ESP basses? There's a couple in my price range, and my brother likes their regular guitars...
ESP/LTD are good, but you better off trying to find a used ATK or MIM P bass as previously suggested. The quality on ESP's is good, but they don't fit the style's your looking at as well as the Fender or the Ibanez. If you could manage to find a used Sterling by Musicman, I'd say go for that, it would fit your style quite well.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
guitar center has used stuff.

I don't believe you, there is something on craigslist.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Used warwick, MM sub, sterling stingray, fender MIA etc would be great. Theres millions of great bass's go and try them all. And slways keep trying bass's.
Cheaper newer options that would be good.
Any Corts really
Squire CV or VM
Peavey Milestone.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by berzerker92
my bass teacher reccomended an SR300 so I'll definetely be checking that out.

Those are a nice step up from the GSR200