I been meaning to upload some mp3 files..... but i am scared that it may be copyright.
Are original music CD's non-copyright? If not What are?
I got this System of a down cd which is original(With the original cover and little booklet thingey) is that allowed to be uploaded..

Just Curious...
No... pretty much if you didn't make it entirely yourself, than it's "illegal"

EDIT: This explains why covers on YouTube are being taken down because they have the original song in the background...
No, you cannot upload another artist's music without their permission.

If you look on the CD case, there will be several notices of copyright prohibiting copying and publishing the contents of the CD.
you can only upload your own original work or covers. if you upload copyrighted MP3s they'll be removed and you'll be banned.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
Quote by mashedpotatoes
No... pretty much if you didn't make it entirely yourself, than it's "illegal"
indeed.
yea verily.

The performance of the song MUST be you, or you and your band.

If YOU perform a song by a commercial artist, you can upload the recording of that performance.
This is a cover.

If YOU perform a song YOU wrote, you can upload the recording of that song.
This is an original.

Simple concept, yeah?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Though there's actually copyright on both the actual recording on the CD (designated by a ℗, and separately on the composition or "music and lyrics" of the songs (designated by a ©.

Whether covers are considered fair use or UG has a license to host covers, I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_recording_copyright_symbol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_symbol
Quote by MaddMann274
Then how does the other guys upload mp3 files..H mm?!

Illegally, I presume.
Quote by ichthysfreak
Illegally, I presume.
yyyup.
Quote by mikeyElite
you can only upload your own original work or covers. if you upload copyrighted MP3s they'll be removed and you'll be banned.
this ^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
So wat if I uploaded a cover and the moderators thought it was the real deal would i still become banned..?
Of course not. But that doesn't mean you can go and upload the real deal, and tell everyone it's a carbon-copy cover you made
Quote by MaddMann274
So wat if I uploaded a cover and the moderators thought it was the real deal would i still become banned..?
You're that good that you can cover songs that are so convincing that they sound just like the original recordings by the original artists? Don't worry about being banned. You won't have time for UG. Ima sign you to a contract and put you on tour!

EDIT: (to below)
cifmifpet, those links in your sig are gonna go away when you're banned...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You're that good that you can cover songs that are so convincing that they sound just like the original recordings by the original artists?

Yeah! ...Am going on tour...lol
This seems like a fairly stupid comment, but if I wanted to upload a cover then I can't have the original song playing in the background, right? I can use a Guitar Pro tab and play that in the background though right?
Quote by Grassy
This seems like a fairly stupid comment, but if I wanted to upload a cover then I can't have the original song playing in the background, right?
correct. the original is still a copyright violation, even if it's in the background.
Quote by Grassy
I can use a Guitar Pro tab and play that in the background though right?
correct. the GP tab isn't copyrighted.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 9, 2009,