I have got a crate powerblock 150w amp and a 350w cab. I am running a boss gt-6 pedal board into the amp. For about 6 months this setup has worked amazingly until today, for some reason randomly the amp will mess up and start making a kind of crackly papery noise, sort of like what crappy laptop spearkers sound like. It's not the effects board or the speakers, I can turn off the amp and switch it back on and then it works again but it keeps doing this randomly and I don't know why.
have you checked your cables?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
numerous times, i've swapped them out and in. It seems to go into random crackly noises when I mess around with the settings on the effects board, but it's not the effects board messing it up. when I change the kind of distortion on it it is messing up the amp somehow
what about the jack of the amp?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
what about the jack of the amp?

This - clean the input and output jacks on the amp. Dirty contacts can cause unwanted noise.
Also, have you checked the contacts in your guitar?

Unplug your guitar and then change the patches on the Boss... if you get no crackles... check your guitar contacts... if you get crackles.... well at least your guitar's good.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
it's the amp, guaranteed because I can mess around with every single component and the only thing that gets rid of the crackle sound is turning off the amp and turning it back on. The sound will come back at random when I'm playing with the effects board. resetting the effects board does nothing.
Quote by farcry
it's the amp, guaranteed because I can mess around with every single component and the only thing that gets rid of the crackle sound is turning off the amp and turning it back on. The sound will come back at random when I'm playing with the effects board. resetting the effects board does nothing.

Is the crackle a continuous thing or is it intermittent?

I had the same problem with one of my guitars a while back. My amp would crackle at random for inexplicable reasons. I later found out that the jack was not connecting well with the cable head. A quick bend at the output jack of my guitar solved the crackles immediately.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Are you using a speaker cable?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Are you using a speaker cable?

I'd imagine he should smell a burning smell a while before it started to crackle on him.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I'd imagine he should smell a burning smell a while before it started to crackle on him.

I don't think so. Speaker cables are safe to use with instruments, just not the other way around.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I don't think so. Speaker cables are safe to use with instruments, just not the other way around.

haha which was what I was worried about.. that he had used instrument cables in place of speaker cables.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
haha which was what I was worried about.. that he had used instrument cables in place of speaker cables.

I wasn't even thinking. I just read Dr.Pain's post and thought he was asking the TS if he was using a speaker cable between the instrument and the amp. My brain isn't working, sorry