What really are the other options for a amp thats cheaper than £500 which is good for home use?

Other than:
Blackstar HT-5
Marshall Class 5

Doesn't have to be 5 watt and i currently have a peavey valveking 112,

I would use it for anything from johnny cash to metallica/rammstein, so it must be versatile?

Thanks in advance and please do not link me to american websites.
Legend.
Last edited by Lord_Westwood at Oct 28, 2009,
Krank Rev Jr. Pro is fairly versatile. Alright cleans and plenty of gain on tap for just about anything you're gonna want to play.

Haven't checked out a Krankenstein Jr. but it may be worth checking out.

Just remember - Krank amps tend to be a bit on the muddy side.

Also keep in mind that low watt tube amps are still freaking loud.
Fender VibroChamp XD or SuperChamp XD
--Zeppedled--

Gibson Les Paul
Danelectro DC-59
Fender Acoustic 12-Strg
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Ultimate Chorus (non Digi effects version)
Line 6 Tone Port UX-1
A Hayden Mofo is what you need.

A handwired amp no less.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/40680-hayden-amplifiers-mofo.html

Only problem is that it leaves you all of £71 to get a cab!

I second the Krank Rev Jr Pro, however, I feel that it really only gets muddy at high gain chugga-chugga levels. At moderate gain levels its tight. However, pair that with a OCD running at 18 volt and the amp sounds magical and tight!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Fender Superchamp XD
Blackstar HT5
Vox AC4

these are the ones that come to mind......

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by ragingkitty
A Hayden Mofo is what you need.

A handwired amp no less.

It's not hand-wired.
Sorry for the double post, but I've had an idea. Check out www.ratvalveamps.com . I used to own one of these, and Andy can customise the amp to your taste. There nothing to say he couldn't do you a modified Blackheart head with an extra preamp gain stage of some sort for your high gain needs. Also, Power Scaling is the main selling point of these amps and having it installed means that you can genuinely crank your amp at home at very low volumes, like 1/10w and it will still sound great and every bit as dynamic. His ebay name is andydokken, but just search 'rat' in the amps section for a look at what he usually builds. He makes amps to order though, so like I said, getting him to make a high gain head or combo shouldn't be a problem.

Price wise, these amps are bargains as Andy gets them in at about 20% of what you or I would pay.
Quote by greggybhoy
It's not hand-wired.

+1

according to guitarist this month, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by greggybhoy
It's not hand-wired.

The company claims its hand-wired. I'm not arguing with you because I have no experience with the amp. I'm just telling you what they say
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The company claims its hand-wired. I'm not arguing with you because I have no experience with the amp. I'm just telling you what they say

It IS handwired, but its not point to point wiring, so it really makes a sh1tload of difference that its handwired!

Maybe one of these + a nice 2x12 cab with V30s would do you nicely?
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
I'm gonna reccomend this: www.valvepower.co.uk . Although, since Dave has been on this thread and not reccomended it, he might not think it is suitable. It won't be able to reach modern metallica but neither would the Class 5.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by WtrPlyr
Home-use?
Versatile?
Cheaper than £500?

Used Vetta.

/thread

You'll be lucky at £500. A used Flextone (or a new one) is well within your price range though.
Quote by greggybhoy
You'll be lucky at £500. A used Flextone (or a new one) is well within your price range though.

Matrixclaw has one for sale at $550 I think.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
I'm gonna reccomend this: www.valvepower.co.uk . Although, since Dave has been on this thread and not reccomended it, he might not think it is suitable. It won't be able to reach modern metallica but neither would the Class 5.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

I reccomended it because it can be OD boosted - I bet it would sound pretty good with a TS9 out in front
Quote by Zoso1994
Matrixclaw has one for sale at $550 I think.

We're not in America unfortunately.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I reccomended it because it can be OD boosted - I bet it would sound pretty good with a TS9 out in front
Probably, I haven't got an OD pedal though.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I want a new guitar 1st. Then I'll get an OD pedal.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
i was worried when he said versatile, and when he said metallica/rammstein. Certainly the way I set my OD, it's not at metallica heaviness. If he'd be willing to get a quality distortion and overdrive pedal, it might work. But i'm still not sure it's the best option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I'd say the Hot Rodded Blackheart is the best suggestion.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
i haven't tried the Rat I'd just be very wary of recommending the VP unless he knows precisely its limitations, and how he's more or less going to have to "persuade" it to do those other tones. If he knows that and is ok with it, fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Yeah, I'd say the Hot Rodded Blackheart is the best suggestion.

The TS will need a EQ pedal in an FX loop for some of the early scooped tones. It's gonna cost a bit, but I think that's the best alternative. Stock the Blackheart is a little too middy for early metallica.

For the Krank Rev Jr Pro... I know for a fact that a UGer got one at a store along Denmark Street.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the Rat I'd just be very wary of recommending the VP unless he knows precisely its limitations, and how he's more or less going to have to "persuade" it to do those other tones. If he knows that and is ok with it, fair enough.

I haven't played it either, it just looks like a good option. I have only played a handful of tubes amps actually.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I just sold a Rat for my VP and can safely say that the Rat range are awesome - definitely a better choice in this case than a VP.
^ + ^^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?