Hey guys.
I've been playing a Squire Strat with one humbucker pickup and one single coil. I'm starting to become unhappy with the tone I'm getting, so I think it's time for an upgrade.
I've played the regular Hellraiser at guitar center before, and I loved it.
I found this cheaper version, called the Hellraiser Deluxe, and the specs look almost the same.
Deluxe: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=520092
Regular: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-C1-Electric-Guitar?sku=484197
The reviews seem pretty good for the Deluxe. I don't have very much money, so I can't afford the regular C1.
My question is would I get a similar tone with the Deluxe? Would it feel quite the same as the C1?

Also, I play a lot of stuff like Slayer, Metallica, Motorhead, and a little bit of European metal, like Dream Evil.

Thanks.
The only big differences I see are different cosmetic changes (Such as quilted maple,aballone binding,Different colors)
But I do see the the regular hellraiser has a split coil humbucker which is useful for a wider range of sound.
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by williamdllr
The only big differences I see are different cosmetic changes (Such as quilted maple,aballone binding,Different colors)
But I do see the the regular hellraiser has a split coil humbucker which is useful for a wider range of sound.

But I'd probably use this one just for stuff with distortion. Would I be fine there?
oh yea...but it also depends on what amp you have because about 70% of your tone comes fromm your amp
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
My Avenger has coil tapping with its SH-8 Duncan passive pups and it's hard to tell the difference.

I actually prefer the black binding on the "Deluxe" to abalone.

The biggest drawbacks will be the lack of locking tuners and the bolt-on neck (I'm assuming it's bolt-on since the more expensive one says "set neck"). Schecter bolt-on necks sustain just fine. Especially with a Sustainiac installed (LOL).

Ebony & active EMGs for $500 new? Cool!!! A local pawnshop had the regular one (all beat up, too) for more than that!

I say go for it, if you're not a Floyd Rose kind of guy. Otherwise find a similar model with an LFR, and then the lack of locking tuners won't be an issue since you'll have a locking nut. Their LFRs in this price class are fine.

OR......

What model Squier? Affinity? Standard? Deluxe?

If it's not a Bullet, then another option is to load a high-output 'bucker like a DiMarzio D-Activator, an EMG 81, a Seymour Duncan SH-8 or something similar into the Squier.

Do that, block your whammy, get a pro setup done on the Squier, and buy a better amp or a few new pedals and you'll have your tone issues fixed for the same money better than you would with the C-1. Of course, you'll probably still be 2 - 3 frets short of the C-1's capabilities for solos, but since you're not looking for a guitar with a Floyd Rose, maybe you're more of a rhythm guy anyway.

I moved my Duncan Design Detonators into my Squier Affinity when I replaced them with real Seymore Duncan SH-8 in the Avenger, and if you listen to both guitars blind, you can't tell which is which unless I go above the 21st fret or do some whammy abuse.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by williamdllr
oh yea...but it also depends on what amp you have because about 70% of your tone comes fromm your amp

I have a Line 6 Spider III 30. I know its just an OK amp, but my squire sounds like SHIT through my buddy's Spider Half Stack, and I've played a hellraiser through the same halfstack, and it sounded so much better.

Quote by jetwash69
My Avenger has coil tapping with its SH-8 Duncan passive pups and it's hard to tell the difference.

The biggest drawbacks will be the lack of locking tuners and the bolt-on neck (I'm assuming it's bolt-on since the more expensive one says "set neck")

Ebony & active EMGs for $500 new? Cool!!! A local pawnshop had the regular one (all beat up, too) for more than that!

I say go for it, if you're not a Floyd Rose kind of guy. Otherwise find a similar model with an LFR, and then the lack of locking tuners won't be an issue since you'll have a locking nut. Their LFRs in this price class are fine.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go for this one.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice.
If you do go for the Schecter online, I recommend getting it with a case; this increases the chances of it making it to you undamaged.

Also be sure to get MF to cut you some kind of deal by ordering over the phone, not online. If nothing else, they can probably at least throw in some strap locks free or other case candy.
Quote by jetwash69

The biggest drawbacks will be the lack of locking tuners and the bolt-on neck (I'm assuming it's bolt-on since the more expensive one says "set neck"). Schecter bolt-on necks sustain just fine. Especially with a Sustainiac installed (LOL).

OR......

What model Squier? Affinity? Standard? Deluxe?

If it's not a Bullet, then another option is to load a high-output 'bucker like a DiMarzio D-Activator, an EMG 81, a Seymour Duncan SH-8 or something similar into the Squier.

Do that, block your whammy, get a pro setup done on the Squier, and buy a better amp or a few new pedals and you'll have your tone issues fixed for the same money better than you would with the C-1. Of course, you'll probably still be 2 - 3 frets short of the C-1's capabilities for solos, but since you're not looking for a guitar with a Floyd Rose, maybe you're more of a rhythm guy anyway.

I moved my Duncan Design Detonators into my Squier Affinity when I replaced them with real Seymore Duncan SH-8 in the Avenger, and if you listen to both guitars blind, you can't tell which is which unless I go above the 21st fret or do some whammy abuse.

Well, a problem with the squire I have is that it only has 21 frets, which is bad if I want to do any lead work.
If I'm gonna spend money on pickups and pedals, I might as well spend money on a new guitar, and sell the squire.
Also, its an Affinity Fat Strat, I think.
Last edited by HailSlaytan at Oct 28, 2009,
OK, 21 frets and a 'bucker make it an Affinity.

You're not going to get any money for the Squier. I'd keep it for alternate tunings. You can upgrade the pups later. The guitar is made from Alder just like a real Fender, although lower grade, more pieces, and it's about a 1/4" thinner.

It'll still be useful for Malmsteen or a lot of Maiden if you ever want to play that, and for most Motorhead (more likely up your alley).
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by jetwash69
OK, 21 frets and a 'bucker make it an Affinity.

You're not going to get any money for the Squier. I'd keep it for alternate tunings. You can upgrade the pups later. The guitar is made from Alder just like a real Fender, although lower grade, more pieces, and it's about a 1/4" thinner.

It'll still be useful for Malmsteen or a lot of Maiden if you ever want to play that, and for most Motorhead (more likely up your alley).

Yeah, I just realized that I could use it for alt tunings.
Thank you very much, you've been really helpful, man.
You're welcome. Be sure to let us know when you get it and post some MP3s with it on your profile.
Quote by jetwash69
You're welcome. Be sure to let us know when you get it and post some MP3s with it on your profile.

Will do.
Thanks again.