I need a new guitar. I have an old '80s ESP strat and it just sounds like s***. Based on these requirements what are some good options.

1. Under $500.
2. Has great sustain. Sustain is extremely important.
3. Handles distortion and insane effects well. I play alot of Tom Morello stuff.
4. Feels good. If it feels like crap I dont want it.
5. Rosewood Fingerboard.
6. Humbucker pickups. I hate single coils with a passion.
7. Has good resale value.
8. 22 or 24 frets. Cant work with 21.
maybe a used schecter hellraiser FR?
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Look at the PRS SE series. The SE Custom 24 sounds exactly like what you're describing.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Right now i am using an epiphone valve jr. head with a 2x12 cab. I use a Boss GT-3 for all of my effects
Ibanez RGA42FM
Washburn X50

They meet most of your criteria's except no. 7 though I don't know if you would turn down a guitar that meets your demands because it has a poor re-sale value.
The Washburn X50 will be a bit above your budget, unless local shops carry it for less. But it fits everything you want, so I'd see if you could try one out, then scour local shops, eBay, or craigslist.
I recommend something that has some gold ole seymo duncans. IMO EMG's arent versatile at all and I think you would get more range out of your effects with passives. You can probably find a good deal used, CL is a great place to find gear from desperate people but try and always play it first
An 80s ESP Strat should be good. I would look at your other gear. A Valve Jr. and a GT-3 probably wouldn't give you what your looking for. I would look at upgrading the rest of your rig before your guitar.
Check out some of the lower end Ibanez's.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by shinedown4life
I need a new guitar. I have an old '80s ESP strat and it just sounds like s***. Based on these requirements what are some good options.

1. Under $500.
2. Has great sustain. Sustain is extremely important.
3. Handles distortion and insane effects well. I play alot of Tom Morello stuff.
4. Feels good. If it feels like crap I dont want it.
5. Rosewood Fingerboard.
6. Humbucker pickups. I hate single coils with a passion.
7. Has good resale value.
8. 22 or 24 frets. Cant work with 21.

Check out 1980s MIJ guitars from Martumoku, like Aria Pro II - it ticks all the boxes. Mine's a CS 350

And with the money you save, get a pro fret dress and setup, you'll be amazed at what it'll do for your sustain.

Aria Pro II
for some reason, a lot of online retailers are clearing their stock of C-1 Classics.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SCE-C1CL-LIST

free shipping and just in your budget. they are pretty good guitars too. Locking tuners, coil splitting (even though you hate single coils, the option is there), seymour duncan jazz/jb pickups, it's a solid guitar.
I went to sam ash today and tried out about 25 guitar including the PRS SE Custom 24 and completely fell in love with it! I'm definitely getting that guitar and putting a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge
Quote by shinedown4life
I went to sam ash today and tried out about 25 guitar including the PRS SE Custom 24 and completely fell in love with it! I'm definitely getting that guitar and putting a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge

nononononononononononono
Please don't, it's an awful pickup.
Quote by shinedown4life

Were you playing the PRS SE through the same rig as yours? What amp do you play? Have you got another guitar installed with the Dimebucker and played it through your amp?
take your guitar to some music stores and try some different amps.E.S.P are nice axes!
Quote by Baby Joel
nononononononononononono
Please don't, it's an awful pickup.

+1 on that about the dimebucker.

I find it best to stay away from anything with dime in the name. Because we all know dime sounded like shit.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
A Shinedown fan? PRS for new Shinedown and whatever you like (so long as it has humbuckers) for old.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Actualy for your requirements a newer ESP would be a great match. you can get a desent Ltd. model for about 400$. ive found that ESP's have the fattest sound and can handle insane amounts of distortion. I know you might be bitter about your esp but i can garentee you that youll love it once you get a new one. Check out the Eclipse and Alexi Laiho models.