Basically, lately I've been getting fairly annoyed with dragging my Blues Junior to and from practice, jams and the two or three gigs I've managed to do since I got it. My family has a history of weak backs on my father's side and, while not backbreakingly so, because of this even if it's light for a tube amp it drags on me after a few yards.

So, I've been looking into inexpensive, light alternatives. I got the holiday issue of Guitar Player yesterday, and the main unit in their comparison of five multi-effects units that stood out to me was the Vox Tonelab ST, mainly because, since there's an actual tube, while it's not the same as a real tube amp, the Valvetronix system has a much more articulate tone than most effects/modeling units I've heard, and after reading that Weezer used to do exactly this, but with POD's instead, I was wondering whether or not it would be worthwhile to put down $200, get the Tonelab, use it as a preamp into PA's and recording panels and use it instead of an amp? This'd also solve my recent issue of "I need a new wah" since it has an expression pedal built in and a model of one of my favourite vintage wahs. But again, I'm not completely sure, so UG, thoughts? My experiences with Vox modeling devices has always been good, but would it actually sound good as the only thing between a guitar and a PA?

Also, I see no openings on the casing, how the hell do you replace that 12AX7?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I can see how that would work with a power amp but not necessarily a PA. Not saying it can't be done, I just don't have any experience with that. I've heard good things about the Tonelabs, Pod XT live and Digitech RP500s on up so I think it is good idea. Can't speak to how you replace the tube (gimmick imo).
It's a pain in the butt to replace the casing and to be honest, you'll notice little to no difference in tone. In my opinion it's not worth it to change out the tube.

Also, yes the tonelab sounds good into a PA setup. I still own my older Tonelab SE and when our band practices, I sometimes just bring the tonelab and plug into the PA. However, on stage I use an actual amp.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
How about you work out your back and be less of a bitch? =D
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
^I see you are kidding with your smiley face but your post adds nothing to this thread and if I see you post like that again from you I'll report you. Necrosis is a friend of mine, so unless you know him and that is an inside joke STFU
^(Would quote, but I don't want this post to get too big)You're correct in your assumption that it's indeed not an inside joke, and I do appreciate your defending me.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I can see how that would work with a power amp but not necessarily a PA. Not saying it can't be done, I just don't have any experience with that. I've heard good things about the Tonelabs, Pod XT live and Digitech RP500s on up so I think it is good idea. Can't speak to how you replace the tube (gimmick imo).

Hmm...well, in the event you're right about the power amp, what would I be able to do to rectify that? Or would it be likely that a place with a PA would have a power amp or something along those lines?(Apologies if that makes no sense, the gigs I've played have been either acoustic club shows, or little parties where I would just bring my old solid-state amp, use it for vocals and backing tracks, and not had much work with a PA, so I don't really know much about them)

Quote by theraven871
It's a pain in the butt to replace the casing and to be honest, you'll notice little to no difference in tone. In my opinion it's not worth it to change out the tube.

Alright then, thanks for the heads-up.

Also, yes the tonelab sounds good into a PA setup. I still own my older Tonelab SE and when our band practices, I sometimes just bring the tonelab and plug into the PA. However, on stage I use an actual amp.

Excellent, much appreciated for the firsthand opinion.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
^Yeah, I guess it has to do with how well the PA system responds to the modeling on the Tonelab. If he uses it for practice with no complaints then that sounds reasonable. I guess necrosis it depends on what you want. A power amp won't be exactly light so if you have a PA to plug into great. Otherwise, those portable PAs are not that light either.

oh and,
I should add more to my previous post.

I use an amp on stage, but just the power amp section. I either plug my POD X3 Live or my Tonelab into the effects return. This way I'm using my POD/Tonelab as a preamp and my tube amp solely as a poweramp.

Sounds fantastic this way.

Then during practice, I only have to worry about bringing along my guitar and POD/Tonelab and plug straight into our PA. It makes it a lot less for me to carry.

If you're worried about the quality of the sound, don't be. The Tonelab sounds fantastic! But understand that like any other piece of gear, it'll sound slightly different depending on what you plug it into. My Tonelab sounds slightly different when I plug it straight into the PA rather then my tube amp.

Still this sound difference is minor and is only a subtle sound difference (not a quality difference). In fact, you may not notice it at all.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100