Hi, I've been lurking for a while and have found some of the tips here invaluable, so cheers for that! Like a lot of people I've been playing for quite a few years and have picked up some bad habits along the way which I'm trying to work on. Anywho, onto my questions.

DISCLAIMER: I've read all the stickies and watched freepower's stuff, which has been great.

1) When I first started playing I had classical lessons so my left hand posture seems to revolve around that. Anything lower than the 12 fret is fine, I can keep my hand in the right position (Knuckles parallel, thumb behind the centre of the neck), but if I go above the 12th fret I can't keep this position, my hand twists slightly and my fingers are no longer perpendicular to the frets. Is this normal, only it seems that at the higher frets my accuracy goes to shit?

2) My hand seems to get 'stuck' in one position on the neck, ie; if I'm playing the Aminor scale at the 5th fret I struggle to move to the position at the 12th fret fluidly; I know all the notes inbetween that should make the transition sound smooth and as one continuous motion, but I can't seem to get the hang of this. Is it just a case of practising (though this is something I've done quite a lot of) or is is something more fundamental like my technique (which I'm starting to believe it is).

I've looked around for vids and stuff but I've not been able to find anything that deals specifically with the problems I'm having.

Cheers
Not sure about number one, but I think I can help you with number two.

Your problem might be that you're only familiarizing yourself with certain keys in certain positions. I'm just guessing that because it's pretty much what I've done to myself. Try taking a certain key, A minor for example, and learn every note in it regardless of position. Then play those enough until you've familiarized those notes in different positions.

Come to think of it, I should try that for myself.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Well...Classical guitars do have big ass fret boards, so you'll have to get some getting used to.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Cheers for the help, now that I think about it I know where the notes of the scales are, but don't really know all the shapes in all the positions, think this is something I just need to learn.

As for the other issue, now I've looked at it as I get over the 12th fret my thumb comes from behind the neck to the over the top. Granted this is good for bending and vibrato, but do you think it's just a case of slowing down and forcing my thumb back behind the neck? I'm having problems reaching the lower strings (Low E and A) when my thumb is over the top.