Page 1 of 2
Serious question. I will report any flaming on people who have gone to therapy.
I'm starting to think I need it.

So who here has gone to therapy? And how did you like it?
Hells yeah and I liked it; I turned out ok, right?

Edit: on a more serious note I did, and I don't mind that fact. I needed to get my shit together and it worked for me flawlessly. I turned around in school, sports, and in life in general.
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Last edited by jp58 at Oct 28, 2009,
Yeah, was expensive, didn't work, sucked. Don't recommend it. Try LSD instead
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Quote by Z_cup_boy
Serious question. I will report any flaming on people who have gone to therapy.
I'm starting to think I need it.

So who here has gone to therapy? And how did you like it?

People seem to think therapy is for the weak or crazy. In reality, the kind of courage it takes to confront your problems, face yourself and work through them can hardly be described as 'weak'. And 'crazy'? Ask your therapist if he/she'd agree with the statement - 'some of the most psychologically healthy people I know are in therapy or have had it'.

The more enlightened among us use therapists like physicians - except for mental health rather than physical health. There should be no negative stigma attached to therapy but sadly there is.

Try reading this blog: http://www.shrinktalk.net.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
People seem to think therapy is for the weak or crazy. In reality, the kind of courage it takes to confront your problems, face yourself and work through them can hardly be described as 'weak'. And 'crazy'? Ask your therapist if he/she'd agree with the statement - 'some of the most psychologically healthy people I know are in therapy or have had it'.

The more enlightened among us use therapists like physicians - except for mental health rather than physical health. There should be no negative stigma attached to therapy but sadly there is.

Try reading this blog: http://www.shrinktalk.net.

Yeah facing your emotions is very strong. Emotions are human instinct..
I'm reading the blog.
Quote by MHDrunk
People seem to think therapy is for the weak or crazy. In reality, the kind of courage it takes to confront your problems, face yourself and work through them can hardly be described as 'weak'. And 'crazy'?

I don't think anyone feels that way.

How do you cope with your problems if you don't talk about them with someone or anyone? It's human to project our problems on others and have them give advice based on their knowledge. That's the human experience in its most basic form.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Yeah facing your emotions is very strong. Emotions are human instinct..
I'm reading the blog.

Not just that but facing neuroses, flawed thinking and repressed issues. There is not much that is harder than accepting you have a problem that distorts your perception of reality.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
I don't think anyone feels that way.

How do you cope with your problems if you don't talk about them with someone or anyone? It's human to project our problems on others and have them give advice based on their knowledge. That's the human experience in its most basic form.

Plenty of people do. I'm not talking about problems like 'damn doc, why can't I get that second date?'

I agree with the above 100% and that blog is pretty enlightening. ALso to be fair I'm pretty biased as I'm considering this as a career.
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
I was going to go, but didn't feel comfortable with the idea.
Personally I think if you have good friends, they're much better to talk to than someone who's being paid to listen.
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
I've had some problems I had to confront. It was ok. It's very expensive though.

I'm mastering in psychology. I'd rather work in a clinic dealing with drug addicts. A lot of my friends died to crazy drugs (crack, heroin). Just recently lost good friend i'd known for like 15 years. Shit sucks losing people to hard drugs.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by donkey the wise
Personally I think if you have good friends, they're much better to talk to than someone who's being paid to listen.

But if you have a great skill at listening then making a career out of it makes yourself more accessible I think.
I'm 1/4 retarded, so I use to do physio therapy
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
I'd just make friends that I can tell anything to and go to them when I needed it. That doesn't seem very hard, I can't think of anything I wouldn't tell someone I knew well.

Quote by donkey the wise

Because that'll really help you improve.

Quote by MHDrunk
Because that'll really help you improve.

You say that sarcastically, yet the only way that makes sense is if you aren't.

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A set of ears on a human being is a set of ears on a human being, I don't need to spend money to do what I was born to do.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy

A set of ears on a human being is a set of ears on a human being, I don't need to spend money to do what I was born to do.

There's quite alot more to therapy than just listening, though.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yes, have spoken to a few counsellors and am now seeing a psychologist. I highly recommend it, because the more you talk and open up the more aware you become of yourself. Many, many people are not self-aware and it hinders them where so much improvement can be made.

Of course, it's not for everyone. At least try, if you think you need it... that's my opinion on the matter.

Edit: and I very much agree with MHDrunk.
you should do whatever you think will be best for you.
whatever is most comfortable or anything like that. if you're fairly open minded about it, unlike most, then thats probably pro-therapy sign
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Well, yeah....

But a friend probably knows you better than a random person anyway who just wants your money.

Not always true, brah. Like I said what is wrong with making a career out of a skill you're exceptional at? Sure it seems ironic to capitalise off of peoples' problems essentially but it goes deeper than that. Being a counselor makes your skill more accessible.
Quote by donkey the wise
you should do whatever you think will be best for you.
whatever is most comfortable or anything like that. if you're fairly open minded about it, unlike most, then thats probably pro-therapy sign

I disagree. Often the people who most need therapy, think they can deal with it - often in ways destructive to themselves or those around them. Talking about painful or difficult emotions, thoughts and memories is never comfortable, but the benefits are there, whereafter a patient would typically become more confident in opening themselves up to the help.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Well, yeah....

But a friend probably knows you better than a random person anyway who just wants your money.

Sadly that's a (too) common, very distorted view of therapists. Have you ever been to one?
Quote by Kensai
Sadly that's a (too) common, very distorted view of therapists. Have you ever been to one?

I doubt it. I bet he thinks they all fake their empathy and live on 70k+ salaries a year.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Well, yeah....

You sound like the kind of kid whose parents forgot half his birthdays.

Your friend probably doesn't know much about psychology, understanding people, finding their problems, or fixing them. Nor is he self-aware enough to have any worthwhile insight into your personality.

And you would probably need a professionally-trained therapist to break through your total lack of self-awareness and help you at all.

Quote by Z_cup_boy
Not always true, brah. Like I said what is wrong with making a career out of a skill you're exceptional at? Sure it seems ironic to capitalise off of peoples' problems essentially but it goes deeper than that. Being a counselor makes your skill more accessible.

I have no problem with people finding ways to make a living, that's awesome for them. But, since the ones I've been to have a) thrown me in rehab b) destroyed my relationship with my parents and c) wasted my time, I don't see how they can specifically help me.

Quote by Kensai

Yo, like post #5
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Yo, like post #5

I assumed you were just advocating LSD.

I guess this explains your attitude towards therapists. Perhaps america doesn't share europe's standards...
Quote by MHDrunk
You sound like the kind of kid whose parents forgot half his birthdays.

owned..................

?

Your friend probably doesn't know much about psychology, understanding people, finding their problems, or fixing them. Nor is he self-aware enough to have any worthwhile insight into your personality.

I don't need to be judged by a person who looks at me for an hour of a week and judges me only on how I act during that time frame.

And you would probably need a professionally-trained therapist to break through your total lack of self-awareness and help you at all.

You're not a therapist, stfu.
I have been to several therapists over the last 17 years battling social anxiety and clinical depression. I can truly advise you to see one as well. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't. I have the feeling there has to be some kind of compatibility.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
I have no problem with people finding ways to make a living, that's awesome for them. But, since the ones I've been to have a) thrown me in rehab b) destroyed my relationship with my parents and c) wasted my time, I don't see how they can specifically help me.

Yo, like post #5

I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that what those therapists 'did' to you are your own rationalisations you used to terminate the therapy before they got too close to the core of your issues.

Quote by MHDrunk
I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that what those therapists 'did' to you are your own rationalisations you used to terminate the therapy before they got too close to the core of your issues.

Dude, you're not a therapist. Shut up.

It's one thing to be helpful, but you're being a ****ing tool.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Dude, you're not a therapist. Shut up.

It's one thing to be helpful, but you're being a ****ing tool.

No need to go on the offensive.

I'm just curious, did you go to therapy voluntarily, and how many therapists did you see?
Quote by Le_Bunny
I'm just curious, did you go to therapy voluntarily, and how many therapists did you see?

I went voluntarily the first couple of times with an open mind. Then, I started opening up about drugs and the chick didn't keep her confidentiality and told my parents. So, I wanted to stop going, but my parents kept bringing me back...I went a couple more times, then just ditched them because my therapist became so hung up on my "marijuana addiction" and nothing would get talked about.

edit: one strictly therapist, a couple of psychologists and psychiatrists
Last edited by RinestoneCowboy at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by Kensai
I assumed you were just advocating LSD.

I guess this explains your attitude towards therapists. Perhaps america doesn't share europe's standards...

Explain Swedens' standards. It is true many people go into therapy simply for the salary.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Explain Swedens' standards.

No idea, but they're very high. I know quite a few doing it and from what I hear and see it's alot of work. I had some contacts with it myself and I can confirm this bold claim.

Quote by Z_cup_boy
It is true many people go into therapy simply for the salary.

Maybe in more capitalist countries
Ive done it. I'm only 13 though and was doing it when i was 12 about my depression and stress from high school. She was mainly focused on my sleeping method until my dad told her about thoughts i had of hurting people and she sorta focused on that for a bit only did about 5 sessions.

Thats all serious too
*gotzguitarskillz* Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

GUITARS

Ibanez rgr421exfm W/ Evos
Epiphone G-400
Some no name acoustic thats pretty good
Page 1 of 2