used searchbar, could not find.

basically, getting a pinch harmonic going is no probs. the problem im having at the moment is getting it to really squeal a la... well a lot of people (ill list a few anyway - petrucci, vai, laiho, between the buried and me (names escape me right now))

how much of this is practice, and how much is it to do with other factors - ie. amp, pickups etc

i have noticed fairly big differences in the potential volume of pinch harmonics depending on wattage and whether i was using headphones.
volume of pinches tend to go, from softest to loudest, in relation to other notes, in various situations ive had the chance to experiment with (that i can remember): with headphones on, 15W fender g-dec junior, 100W crate gt212, roland cube 60, marshall tsl100/1960A cab

there appears to be some vague correlation, but i was wondering whether this was occurring due to pure fluke/coicidence

sorry if this didnt make much sense, im incredibly tired and not thinking too straight
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
use bridge, and prefferably a decent amount of gain. Also use vibrato if you want good sustain
Do you know about the node points on a string...like 5th, 7th and 12th fret that are really strong harmonics. other frets, like 3rd you can hit a harmonic but it's not as strong....

other than that turn your amp up. lol
[
there are guitars that don't do pinch harmonics well. for example, my friend's lp special (dual Humbuckers), it is impossible to play a good sounding p.h, where as his cheapo strat with single coils they play nicely.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
You need gain, and like UD said the bridge pickup. Also the hotter they are the more of the sound you're looking for you'll get. Try some vibrato, experiment with where you put your thumb on the string. It's mostly just practice though to get the sound.
i pretty much have gain on 10 (through on my g-dec junior, its not hugely gainy, but it suffices), almost always use bridge and vibrato. im pretty savvy with nodes too (and other theory - 8 years of piano + 4 grade of theory ACTUALLY do something O_O)

yeah, type of guitar MAY be an issue, but i was under the impression it was more to do with my amp.

question: turning my amp up will make the ph louder, but will it make it louder in relation to other notes?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
try picking it on different parts of the strings...each one has it's sweet spots...if done corectly if doesn't matter at all your amp settings...they just tend to sound a lot sweeter with high gain. but I can make an audible pinch harmonic unplugged.
finding nodes arent an issue at all, i can make audible pinch harmonics without plugging in too; the problem im having is making them ring out louder than other regularly picked notes
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
I find they come out wonderfully with high gain and plenty of vibrato. It's also got a lot to do with where you pick on the string but you already know that, as your issue is with making them louder, not just how to play them.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
ive read that a longer scale length helps. can anyone vouch?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
ive read that a longer scale length helps. can anyone vouch?

couldn't tell you, but you arent gonna buy a new guitar for the pinch harmonics are you?

what guitar do you have though?
belman flat top deluxe - i would say it somewhere between a prs se 22 and custom 22,
24 3/4" scale, tom-stopbar
pickups arent the hottest ive used

but i am looking to get another guitar, possbly an ormsby custom, and this is one of the considerations
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Nov 1, 2009,
I've had good luck with Schecters for pinch harmonics, much better than my ESP even though both have EMG 81/85s.

Yes, the guitar can have an effect on pinch harmonics. I knew there was a point to this when I started...
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
its 99.9% practise, don't believe people saying that u can't do it with your guitar, you can do it on any, i've learned using pinch harmonics on my crappy 50$ accoustic and by the time I went electric it sounded as loud as regular played notes (this was on an ibanez gax thingy back then I think)

just keep doing it, progress should come quickly

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>