I was thinking about this earlier.

Why are the letters in the alphabet in the order that they are? Is there any significance to this order? Have they been historically like that since the English language began to take written form?

Could it just be that everybody knows the letters in the order they are because of 'The Alphabet song'? Or have they been like that forever?

In theory would the alphabet be better if the letters were categorised together in groups of sound or something else?

Discuss.
Because reciting AJWEMCKIHRFOK whilst drunk to a police officer is 10x as hard.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
wiki kinda says that the most common letters come at the start.
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by JackalUK
Same could be said for the numerical system

With the numerical system the numbers become larger as they go up.
Quote by jhardcore
With the numerical system the numbers become larger as they go up.

too true
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
It's only in the order because someone at some point deemed it so, same as the order of the alphabet
In the ancient times, way before the alphabethical writing, images were used to communicate.
So to write/draw "bull", they wrote a kind of backflipped A (image the 2 horns of the bull XD).
With time, the sign has flipped to the corrent position. The same happened with the letter B, which meant "house" (rotate it by 90° , and the letter Gamma, which symbolize the sexual act.
So the most important elements of ancient life, food,home and procreation, became the first 3 letters of the alphabet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Numbers go 1, 2, 3, 4...

Letters do not go A, B, C, D...

It isn't comparable.

I think he's talking about the symbols used,
Quote by JackalUK
It's only in the order because someone at some point deemed it so, same as the order of the alphabet

doesn't make sense?
Quote by jhardcore

Could it just be that everybody knows the letters in the order they are because of 'The Alphabet song'? Or have they been like that forever?

Discuss.

Tbh I think the song came waaaay after the alphabet was arranged
you see this is the type of thread I like.. there'll probably be no answer, but it is a good discussion.

I think it's one of those things that made sense at the time, and it's stuck generation after generation - If we changed it now though, how hard do you think it would be.. and numbers aswell - the possibilities are.. limited!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Well, let's look at where our alphabet came from. It is based off of the Greek alphabet (alpha, beta, etc.) hence the name. But if you go waaay back you get pictoral alphabets, kind of like the Egyptian alphabet with pictures that represent stuff. The first non-pictoral alphabet was the Phonecian alphabet, which included characters that represented consonant sounds, but nothing for vowels. The symbols they chose for their alphabet were created for the purpose of an alphabet, but were based off of actual objects. For example, some of the symbols used as letters also stood for "house" or "camel". The Phonecians listed their alphabet in order of things that were most important to them, so for a hypothetical example, A B C respectively stood for "God", "man", and "cow"...and the letter Z probably stood for like..."woman" or something.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Cusz sinnrs b0luit twr o4 B@b13 an d3^ g00d c0nfosed arr teh languages and made ddem magic, sepcial and cool leik dat caue te bible says so, ololololololol.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Not all alphabets go in the same order though....

Serbian is something like : A B V, G...
Greek is A,B,G,D,E,Z
its all cuz of greece...but who told them to put theirs in order? theyre so smart they probably had some astronomically profound reason.
"Life is an obscure hobo bumming a ride on the omnibus of art."
Quote by jhardcore

Why are the letters in the alphabet in the order that they are? Is there any significance to this order? Have they been historically like that since the English language began to take written form?

In theory would the alphabet be better if the letters were categorised together in groups of sound or something else?

Discuss.

The order of the alphabet deals with phonetics and linguistics. It's based on how the sounds of the lets essentially roll off of the tongue, but deals with more then that, such as location of the tongue in the mouth, how much air passes out of your mouth when making the sound, and the shape of the lips when making the noise.