Hey guys, im looking at picking up some new tuners for the Ibanez i just purchased.

I'm not sure as to whether i should get Sperzel lockings, or Grover's. I'm not really sure as to how the Sperzels work, and im not too good when it comes to restringing as it is, haha. Plus the Grovers are a little cheaper.

So in short, is the added complexity worth it? Or will some Grovers do me fine?
What Ibanez is it? If it's got a locking nut then the stock Ibanez tuners would be good enough really. The other thing that should be noted is you may have to drill new holes in to fit in new tuners.
It's an MH320, fixed bridge, the guy i bought it off had a Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set installed in it . Anyway, im stoked on how it plays and sounds, just not too happy with its tuning stability.

As far as drilling new holes, i'm not too concerned. After whoring guitars for a while i think i'm in love, so messing with it to suit my needs wont be a hassle
I used to have an Ibanez SA series guitar. Schaller Mini locking tuners dropped right into it. You might check those out. I've had grover locking tuners as well and they've been solid
ive always been told locking tuners dont help keep in tune even though that was there original makeup,its most likely your bridge. with that said they do make changing strings a snap.
I have Sperzel locking tuners on one of my guitars and they're great. They have zero gear lash, and they hold tune very well. If you're going to do a lot of whammy action then I think a locking nut would be the best option, but locking tuners are never a bad idea if you don't have a locking nut.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I would go for the GROVERS, but i can,t figure why you wouldchange, your IBANEZ should be good
Quote by zorbozate
I would go for the GROVERS, but i can't figure why you would change, your IBANEZ should be good

Yeah, uh, no.

Sperzels are amazing tuners - no post wobble, no play in the gears- very nice.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
Gotoh, it`s what`s fitted to all highend ibbys

+1
I also have Schaller Locking Tuners on my strat and those are God's gift to man. It's 10x easier to restring your guitar, saves a lot of time, and it keeps in tune perfectly no matter what I do with the trem.
Only tried Sperzels and Grovers. They're both fine but I prefer the Sperzels.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I find that a lot of the times on a fixed bridge guitar, instead of changing tuners, you could get away with changing just the cheap plastic nut with something like a graph tech or graphite nut. Also, even before that, you could try to use a pencil and just rub the tip on the string slots, which would lube up the nut.
Thanks for the replies guys

To ibanezgod1973 and JELIFISH19;
exactly which Gotoh's are these? As the less hassle with drilling etc the better.
Quote by JELIFISH19
+1
I also have Schaller Locking Tuners on my strat and those are God's gift to man. It's 10x easier to restring your guitar, saves a lot of time, and it keeps in tune perfectly no matter what I do with the trem.

+2 For the Schaller Locking Tuners. Restringing is MUCH easier, plus my guitar keeps tune incredibly well with them.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||