Hi guys,
im playing guitar for a year and a few months and ive got pretty serious problem. Almost each time i want to learn something new i just open the tab, think something like "omg wtf? i cant ever learn this. this stuff is too hard." and i just give up. Does anyone suffer something simmilar? Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Thanks
I had that for a bit, every song was either impossible, or way too easy and boring (like the same power chord for three minutes). I just did some finger exersizes, practiced alternate picking, and randomly came across a song that seemed a good difficulty every now and then.
Last edited by BEBEB at Oct 28, 2009,
I don't really know how to get rid of it, as I almost never had the problem. I remember trying to sweep at about 9 months experience (I learned the intro to Alaska) and I sat down for about 5 hours on day I just played it over and over.

I guarantee anything you want to play, you can, as long as you put in the right practice.
hahha ball in cuppppppppppppppppp

just keep on playing; do scales, finger exercises, and maybe even try to write a song. It doesn't have to be hard to play. Also, if you are practicing scales and finger exercises, make sure you're playing every notes sounding as good as it can be, in time, and not sloppy because that helps so much more than practicing scales for 4 hours sloppily

good luck
thanks for advices. im gonna try some of them (the one with the ball in a cup looks promisingly )
Stop using tabs and learn how to read music
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
It happens to me when I try to learn solos on my acoustic, it doesn't have a cutaway so I'm just like WTF fret 19?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
maybe try using power tab. then you can adjust the tempo accordingly.
"Life is an obscure hobo bumming a ride on the omnibus of art."
well, i use guitarpro to slow the songs down, but it doesnt seem to make any difference... :\
You need to do exercises...

Also, when learning a song.. It's better to learn the parts of the song you can play, whether it is just the power chord chorus or whatever. It will help you stay motivated for the difficult parts, and at least you can play a bit of the song. Bragging rights.
Quote by Cahir
well, i use guitarpro to slow the songs down, but it doesnt seem to make any difference... :\

You should get this program called The Amazing Slow Downer. I use it for a lot of the guitar parts I've been working on, it allows you to slow things down and loop them, and it's a lot easier to use than Guitar Pro's system of slowing stuff down.

In fact, I'm actually using it at the moment on Rush's 2112.

Oh and listen to whoever said learn to read music, once you can sightread, you're pretty much set for life as a musician.
Stop reading tabs. They're useless and an impediment. Start reading proper notation. It'll give you a good visual representation of the music instead of numbers and look less intimidating.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^ He means learn how to read Standard Notation. I still recommend a dominatrix.

It's called being weak and lazy.

Get a Dominatrix guitar instructor. I highly recommend it!

V There are ways, don't you worry. There would be no point otherwise.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Stop reading tabs. They're useless and an impediment. Start reading proper notation. It'll give you a good visual representation of the music instead of numbers and look less intimidating.

Where are you going to find proper notation for Metallica, and such ?

Music notation just gives you the notes, tabs show you the easiest way to play them. Or how the band plays them. And how are you supposed to show bends, pull-offs, hammer-ons, pinch harmonics, etc ?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Xiaoxi

I read music and prefer tabs.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by falconthefirst
Where are you going to find proper notation for Metallica, and such ?
This is the only good point. But some editions have standard notation alongside tabs. Just read the notation instead of the tabs.

Music notation just gives you the notes, tabs show you the easiest way to play them. Or how the band plays them. And how are you supposed to show bends, pull-offs, hammer-ons, pinch harmonics, etc ?

Standard notation is more than "just the notes". It actually "moves" your eyes along the page. It shows the contour and structure of the music. It has psychological aid in reading music that you don't begin to realize until you're adept at it. Also, it's very easy to display articulation in standard notation.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana