Hey guys,

So, now that I've formed a band, we've written some stuff, and are getting ready to start doing shows and maybe some recording, I've started to put a lot more thought into tone and have done a considerable amount of research on strings. I eventually decided that I want my G, B, and E strings to be pretty thin for easy bendability, but I want something a lot thicker for my E, A and D strings to get a better sound when I'm playing riffs on the low-end.

I shopped around looking for strings that would suit my needs and I found some Ernie Ball "Top Heavy" strings...which seemed pretty nice but the higher strings were a bit thick for my liking. So, I shopped around more and found some Ernie Ball strings for a 7 string guitar.

Now...what if i were to remove the D string from the 7 string pack and just string my 6 string guitar with those? The resulting string gauges would be 9, 11, 16, 32, 42, 52.

Would this work, or would having my guitar tuned to E or Eb put too much strain on the neck of my 6-string guitar? I don't really know if it's relevant or not, but it's a set neck, not a bolt-on.

If you're like me and are looking for this sort of "top-heavy" set up for your guitar strings, what do you use? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Last edited by DarkN00b at Oct 28, 2009,
ernie ball makes a set called "skinny top, heavy bottom" .... I don't know the gauges off the top of my head, but I used to use those.

if you change string guage drastically, you may want to check your intonation and action to make sure everything will still sound good.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
^exactly they come in an orange package, i have power slinkys and they sound good on the top end but alil harder to bend on g,b,e. so id say go for what jpatan said