Hey UG

I've been having second thoughts on the Flextone lately. I have this urge to jump onto the tube amp ship. I don't want to wait years for my first tube amp . SO here's what you need to know:

1. I need a clean amp. I plan to get ALL of my distortion from pedals.
2. Preferably less than 400 USD, so I can still have spare cash for distortion pedals and others.
3. At the moment, I play a lot of the typical UG stuff like thrash metal/metal core...Metallica, Trivium, As I lay Dying, ALl that Remains, Megadeth, The Human Abstract. However my musical tastes change a lot. HOWEVER, remember that I'm planning to get my distortion from pedals and not from the amp!
4. Gigging? Probably, but a 5-watter will do for me. I'll just mic it up.
5. Used? Nah. Hong Kong's used market for guitar gear is just full of people realizing how crap their MGs are.
6. Remember it needs to take pedals VERY WELL.
7. Built-in FX are desired, but not required by any means.
8. No Peaveys. I have nothing against Peaveys, it's just that they aren't available in HK.

I prefer to use distortion pedals over the amp's distortion because you can achieve a wider range of tones. An amp's distortion is a voicing of it's own, but if I purchase certain pedals voiced towards different amps, take for example the Dr Boogey or Plexistortion (Plexi distortion emulator), I can create a much more versatile amp.

I was thinking a rather 'neutral-voiced' amp like a Fender Blues Junior.

Thanks
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Oct 28, 2009,
Blues Junior would be perfect IMO.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Blues Junior would be perfect IMO.

Actually now that I look at it, it looks to be a bit over my budget. It's about 500 USD, right? That's 100 dollars over-budget.

If that's the case (no good clean amp less than 400), I'd imagine a Flextone would be the best way to go .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by britishsligean
you could look at a laney cub5 i don't know if they're available in the far east

You mean the Cub 8 and 10? I tried them a few weeks ago when they reached HK . They weren't really my thing, but now that I think about it, I was more focused on the amp's distortion before. Now that I'm only looking for cleans, I'm guessing it's a great buy. THanks for the reminder!
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
You mean the Cub 8 and 10? I tried them a few weeks ago when they reached HK . They weren't really my thing, but now that I think about it, I was more focused on the amp's distortion before. Now that I'm only looking for cleans, I'm guessing it's a great buy. THanks for the reminder!

my bad if you want to play metal laney are good they have a reputation for making metal amps, the cub 10 can atleast play metal on it's natural distortion but you would only be able to play stuff like black sabbath
Fender vibro champ xd
Fender super champ xd

I'm buying a vibro for the same reason

200$ for vibro
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Get a used Blues Jr
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Again to everyone on the board.

Asia in general is lousy for used gear. I live in Malaysia, and there is literally no used gear. The used market in Singapore almost does not exist.

I am thinking of a Blackheart Little Giant with the mods to change it to a 7/15 watt, with a choke and an effects loop, however i suspect that will put you well out of budget. Also the Blackheart isn't exactly metal-oriented.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

Asia in general is lousy for used gear. I live in Malaysia, and there is literally no used gear. The used market in Singapore almost does not exist.

I am thinking of a Blackheart Little Giant with the mods to change it to a 7/15 watt, with a choke and an effects loop, however i suspect that will put you well out of budget. Also the Blackheart isn't exactly metal-oriented.

People are quite dumb, but I disagree. That the blackheart is what he should get.

He wants to run pedals through it to make the distortion, and blackhearts cleans aren't too amazing(good yes) TS wants a small amp for micing, a vibro champ on the first 4 voices is ideal, and it has built in reverb delay, tremolo and combos of each.

Don't mean to trash your call cuz your so helpful on here

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
5w tube that takes pedals well?

epiphone valve junior... hell if you're open to spend $400, get the valve senior, its a 20w and has onboard controls
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Ackj

epiphone valve junior... hell if you're open to spend $400, get the valve senior, its a 20w and has onboard controls

Breaks up at higher volumes, what if he wants to keep his pedals a certain way. I think he needs channels, like my suggestions!

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Are the bugera v series avaible over there? You can get the v22, has really nice cleans imo.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's the problem with your Flextone's cleans?

I don't see why you want to use so many pedals, either, when you amp is a power tone shaping tool already. you have a wide range of tones with its modeling.

Do Flextone's take pedals well? If they do, I wouldn't really have this dilemma. I find some of the Flextone's amp models to be a bit...lacking. Not to say it's a terrible amp, but if I can get a tube amp for the same price (+ dist. pedals), I think I'll go down that path instead.

Quote by Ackj

Epiphone amps aren't available here , but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by westdyolf
People are quite dumb, but I disagree. That the blackheart is what he should get.

He wants to run pedals through it to make the distortion, and blackhearts cleans aren't too amazing(good yes) TS wants a small amp for micing, a vibro champ on the first 4 voices is ideal, and it has built in reverb delay, tremolo and combos of each.

Don't mean to trash your call cuz your so helpful on here

Blackheart amps aren't available here either .

Quote by ragingkitty

He speaks the truth.

I found a deal on one of the classifieds. A Fender Blues Junior used for 3000 HKD, which is about 387 USD. Good deal or not? Also I've been worrying...although I'll be getting distortion from pedals, are these amps even voiced for metal? I mean, even if you run the most brutal distortion pedal through some vintage amps, it still can't quite nail the sound because of the voicing of the amp.

So now, I am considering these amps:

Fender Blues Jr.
Epiphone Valve Junior/Senior (cannot find in HK at the moment)
Fender Super Champ XD
Laney Cub 8/10
Laney LC15/VC15
Vox AC4
Orange AD5?

EDIT: @JoePerry4Life, Bugera amps aren't available either .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Have you upgraded the software on the Flextone? You just need a MIDI-to-USB cable, and then download the update.
It improves some of the models.

Also, my friend uses pedals with his Flextone, and it does just fine...

I think you need to spend more time dialing it in and reading the manual. You know the metal band Lacuna Coil? IIRC, they use a Flextone on their first album or two. Good tones can be found.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by HellBoy9393

I found a deal on one of the classifieds. A Fender Blues Junior used for 3000 HKD, which is about 387 USD. Good deal or not? Also I've been worrying...although I'll be getting distortion from pedals, are these amps even voiced for metal? I mean, even if you run the most brutal distortion pedal through some vintage amps, it still can't quite nail the sound because of the voicing of the amp.

So now, I am considering these amps:

Fender Blues Jr.
Epiphone Valve Junior/Senior (cannot find in HK at the moment)
Fender Super Champ XD
Laney Cub 8/10
Laney LC15/VC15
Vox AC4
Orange AD5?

Sad to say dude, but US$400 won't get you very far to be honest.

For clean amps your choices will probably range between the Fender Super Champ XD and the Vox. However, that means you'll be sorta torn between a brit and an american voiced amp.

Good luck finding an AD5... they're rare. Even if you do find it, I'm not sure that it'll suit your styles of music.

I find that neither are ideal for metal. With pedal dirt, Fender is probably your best bet between the two, altho you'll probably need a EQ or some mid boost.

The Fender Blues Jr would be best bet among the lot. Altho I'd still recommend the Flextone... its significantly better.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you upgraded the software on the Flextone? You just need a MIDI-to-USB cable, and then download the update.
It improves some of the models.

Also, my friend uses pedals with his Flextone, and it does just fine...

I think you need to spend more time dialing it in and reading the manual. You know the metal band Lacuna Coil? IIRC, they use a Flextone on their first album or two. Good tones can be found.

That's good to know. Just wondering, what kind of pedals is your friend using? A Dist. or OD? I'm very surprised the Flextone takes pedals well. BTW, so that there is no confusion. I don't own the Flextone...i have merely tried it out at the store.

Quote by ragingkitty
Sad to say dude, but US$400 won't get you very far to be honest.

For clean amps your choices will probably range between the Fender Super Champ XD and the Vox. However, that means you'll be sorta torn between a brit and an american voiced amp.

Good luck finding an AD5... they're rare. Even if you do find it, I'm not sure that it'll suit your styles of music.

I find that neither are ideal for metal. With pedal dirt, Fender is probably your best bet between the two, altho you'll probably need a EQ or some mid boost.

The Fender Blues Jr would be best bet among the lot. Altho I'd still recommend the Flextone... its significantly better.

Actually I've found an AD5 in H.K...there is an Orange dealer here. The only reason why I'm a bit concerned with the Flextone is:

1. It is solid state. Now judging from what the majority of UG says...tube is a LOT better. I cannot really compare, because I have never played a very high gain tube amp (I listen to a lot of high gain music).
2. I'm worried about it's versatility outside of what it has to offer. What if I want more/different effects? What if I want to run...say...the Wampler Triple Wreck distortion pedal through it? Will it sound good through a modelling amp?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I have a lot to learn .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I would get that used BJ or get the VC15.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by HellBoy9393
Hey UG

I've been having second thoughts on the Flextone lately. I have this urge to jump onto the tube amp ship. I don't want to wait years for my first tube amp . SO here's what you need to know:

3. At the moment, I play a lot of the typical UG stuff like thrash metal/metal core...Metallica, Trivium, As I lay Dying, ALl that Remains, Megadeth, The Human Abstract. However my musical tastes change a lot. HOWEVER, remember that I'm planning to get my distortion from pedals and not from the amp!
4. Gigging? Probably, but a 5-watter will do for me. I'll just mic it up.

I prefer to use distortion pedals over the amp's distortion because you can achieve a wider range of tones. An amp's distortion is a voicing of it's own, but if I purchase certain pedals voiced towards different amps, take for example the Dr Boogey or Plexistortion (Plexi distortion emulator), I can create a much more versatile amp.

Big flaw in your plan - if you're buying an amp for its clean tones, the speaker and preamp section are likely voiced totally wrong for metal. Also, a 5W tube amp will get you a great 70s rock crunch, but for metal it'll be far too compressed and flubby.

Honestly, this whole 'different distortions for added versatility' isn't going to be nearly as good as you think, and not worth the effort.

If you want to play metal, find an amp that does a really nice rock crunch sound and then use pedals to pile on the gain or change the voicing.
Quote by kyle62
Big flaw in your plan - if you're buying an amp for its clean tones, the speaker and preamp section are likely voiced totally wrong for metal. Also, a 5W tube amp will get you a great 70s rock crunch, but for metal it'll be far too compressed and flubby.

Honestly, this whole 'different distortions for added versatility' isn't going to be nearly as good as you think, and not worth the effort.

If you want to play metal, find an amp that does a really nice rock crunch sound and then use pedals to pile on the gain or change the voicing.

That was, actually, exactly my concern. Thanks for confirming it .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

How much does the Used JC-120 Cost there??? it is the ultimate clean amp and get pedals very very well
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Adrian89
How much does the Used JC-120 Cost there??? it is the ultimate clean amp and get pedals very very well

Used market= non-existent

JC-120= probably non-existent over here as well I might be able to find one if I looked hard.

Looks like Flextone will have to do for me. Serves me right for being such a cheapass.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

sorry i dont read your Used market post :S, but line 6's amps doesnt get pedals very well.. I used to have a SV and pedals sucks on it...
TH3 G3Ar
Quote by Adrian89
sorry i dont read your Used market post :S, but line 6's amps doesnt get pedals very well.. I used to have a SV and pedals sucks on it...

I'm having trouble understanding the first part of your post... ...do you mean you don't understand why i said the used market is non-existent in HK? Just ask ragingkitty and you'll understand . Basically no one here really does a lot of second-hand trading.

About the Flextone not taking pedals...that's the key reason why I'm going with a Flextone. I won't be needing pedals .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

i wanna say that I dont read propertly your first post, hence my used market suggestion. If you're not going to take pedals I ( like ex-SV user) have to suggest you the Spider valve 112, great amp , and less digital. pretty loud and you can use an external preamp if you desire instead of the SV one
TH3 G3Ar
Good luck with decision, I've never had a firsthand experience with a flextone so make sure you upload clips with hatever amp you get!

Happy hunting

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by Adrian89
i wanna say that I dont read propertly your first post, hence my used market suggestion. If you're not going to take pedals I ( like ex-SV user) have to suggest you the Spider valve 112, great amp , and less digital. pretty loud and you can use an external preamp if you desire instead of the SV one

Hellboy... I've got a SpiderValve for sale!!!!

Honestly... go for the Flextone... its really the best option thus far.

With the Valve Jr, you lack control over your preamp section, taking away some tone shaping capabilities.

With the Blackhearts, they aren't voiced for metal.

Remember that there are bad, decent, good and excellent tube amps too. Not all tube amps are epic just because they use tubes.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I've been suggesting this a lot lately - but the Crate Powerblock.

It's not tube, but really, if you just want your pedals to give you your tone, that's the one to get. Just big, clean power. Pretty cheap - runs about $200 USD generally. It's got a headphone jack and is suitable for gigging and home practicing. One problem - out of production. Used is the only way to go, and as someone else pointed it out it'll be hard to come by, but I'm just making a suggestion.
Quote by Flying Couch

It's not tube, but really, if you just want your pedals to give you your tone, that's the one to get. Just big, clean power. Pretty cheap - runs about $200 USD generally. It's got a headphone jack and is suitable for gigging and home practicing. One problem - out of production. Used is the only way to go, and as someone else pointed it out it'll be hard to come by, but I'm just making a suggestion.

Actually that is a very good suggestion. The Crate Powerblock is a favourite for re-amping on UG because it is transparent and doesn't colour your tone very much.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I would go with the Flextone. It is a great modeler and can get you some nice high gain tones. Spend more time with it, don't just go out and buy something cause we said its good. They are your ears, the final decision is up to you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Flying Couch

I agree totally with this one. I'm not so sure I'd prefer it over a Flextone, but it's a great clean, simple amp and brilliant as a backup.
Quote by HellBoy9393
That's good to know. Just wondering, what kind of pedals is your friend using? A Dist. or OD? I'm very surprised the Flextone takes pedals well. BTW, so that there is no confusion. I don't own the Flextone...i have merely tried it out at the store.

Yeah, i read your wrong. he's using some Boss Overdrive to tighten up some of his crunch.

Should be fine.
Quote by Flying Couch

Good to know, thanks.

It looks like it needs to be hooked up to an external cab/speaker though .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon