Ok heres the deal my friend is currently teaching himself guitar on a crappy classical guitar that his parents got him but he wants to get an electric guitar and an amp. He has a budget of about £180 for guitar and £250-350 for the amp and he mainly likes metal with his main influence being Corey from Trivium.

Any suggestions? He was looking at a vyper 75 but I was thinking that maybe a flextone would be cheaper?

Also can a pod or simillar multi-fx just be used by itself without an amp?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Last edited by demitriv at Oct 28, 2009,
IMO The flextone would be the nicer of the two. Guitar, I dunno really not great with Metal gear, a low end Ibanez maybe?

EDIT: He could also probably afford a HT-5 which are very nice for metal if that's what he's set on, if he's still experimenting with a load of different stuff the modeler would be a better idea IMO.

The MFX would have to be run through a PA or something along those lines.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Oct 28, 2009,
Ok yea I also suggested the ht-5 but obviously it is very loud and doesn't have any effects so..

Anyone else?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
he seems set on the vyper 75....

suprised at the lack of responses.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by demitriv
he seems set on the vyper 75....

suprised at the lack of responses.

from us? You just started this thread. I thought the 75 was a bit shrill compared to the 60 but I also know there is a quite a price jump. The 75 is like $290 here in US and the 60 is $450.

...buts it got teh power tubes....

yes you can use a Pod or MFX by itself but it would be through headphones for your friend. I don't think he'll have access to a PA.
can he (or both of you) get down to dublin easily? waltons is blowing out lags very cheap, there's a jet 200 they're selling for something like 130 euro (and i've seen the equivalent model up here for £400). i only ask if you can get down there as it's so cheap you'd want to check there's nothing wrong with it

e.g.: http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10242
or http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=19682 (i think i've tried this model in a shop up here) or
http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10244
or
http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10613 (i've tried this one in a shop up here, it was nice)

i'm not too sure about the amp, it's really up to him whether he'd rather have a modeller or one of the cheaper tube amps (like a peavey valveking or randall rg50tc).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 28, 2009,
Ok thanks for all the help, I've linked him to the topic, don't think Dublin is an option, also valve amps are probably a no go as his neighbours apparently complain when he plays the classical....
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
wow, yeah, modeller would be better for that.

Up to him whether the lag is worth a risk. I meant to go down to try them but never got round to it. Assuming it's as nice as the ones I tried (and i tried the matt version, which has slightly different specs), it's very, very nice, especially for the ridiculous price of 139 euros or whatever it is, but buying blind you have no way of knowing for sure what condition it's in.

EDIT: if he's not going to go for it, he could probably pick up a yamaha pacifica 112v in matchetts or marcus for around his budget. Last time i was in marcus they had 5 or 6 of them, so you could help him pick the best one (though I hate marcus). or even an ibanez rg321, maybe, though it might be slightly over budget.

EDIT #2: if you and he do want to try those lags to see what they're like, music matters in lisburn had several in stock last time I was there, but that's over a year ago now. Would at least give you a rough idea of what they're like, though it obviously won't tell you in how good nick walton's ones are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 28, 2009,
Thanks very much.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
no problem. definitely ring those shops before making a one-errand journey, as it's been a while since I was at any of them, and their stock may have changed completely
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok again thank you.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?