Hi there,

I have this pair of GEC KT88 power amp valves. They say "KT88 - 6914 Z - made in UK" on them. They appear to be unused. Does anyone have any info mation about them? (Year of manufacture, use, value etc)?

Cheers
Lorry

The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
That's a mid-60s logo on the tube, and if they are truly unused they'll be worth, in industry terms, "a sh!tload of money." If they are closely matched and test well you could be looking at $800 for the pair. I'd email mike at KCAnostubes.com, he'll help you get them tested and find a buyer if that's your goal.
For now, put them back in the box and don't touch them. Those logos look pristine, which will increase their value dramatically. The ink used on those old logos will come off very easily, so be careful.
Nah, those tubes are too old. They are not worth anything. I'd be willing to pay the shipping to have you ship them to me so I can put them in the proper museum. PM me and I might even be willing to throw $10 in to make it worth your while. The museum might buy them for $20 so it will even out for all of us.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Nah, those tubes are too old. They are not worth anything. I'd be willing to pay the shipping to have you ship them to me so I can put them in the proper museum. PM me and I might even be willing to throw $10 in to make it worth your while. The museum might buy them for $20 so it will even out for all of us.

No guys, I'm glad I saw this... Those are from the era when tubes were POISONOUS! Just breathing with them in the open air can be fatal... I suggest wrapping them in plastic wrap and mailing them to me, after all I am a hazardous materials disposal expert. In fact since you are a UG member, if you pay the shipping I'll dispose of them free of charge.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Where / how did you manage to come across those? I lost them back in the summer of '69.

send em to me nao.
How on earth did you get those?

Those things are worth a mint.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Put em in your Valvestate. They will give you the perfect Slash tone.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Just as a guess from date codes that i come across a lot at work and how a lot of date codes are done.

I'm guessing they were manufactured the 14th week of 1969. The Z could mean what line they were made on.
Quote by XgamerGt04
I'm guessing they were manufactured the 14th week of 1969. The Z could mean what line they were made on.

See! They're mine! Send em back NAO!

lol

again - where/how did you come across those?
Quote by gregs1020
Where / how did you manage to come across those? I lost them back in the summer of '69.

Too much acid.
No more spamming. Please and thanks.

TS, you're sitting on a gold mine. If those are any good (or even if they work at all), they are worth a shit-ton of money. Very, very highly sought-after.
Quote by Invader Jim
No more spamming. Please and thanks.

TS, you're sitting on a gold mine. If those are any good (or even if they work at all), they are worth a shit-ton of money. Very, very highly sought-after.

+1

They are what Roc said. My apologies TS. Nice find!
Cheers for the feedback guys.

Thanks for all the humourous feedback, but no, theyre mine, so p*ss off! :P

I did get the impression from google that they were really rare. A company over here offered me £100 for them, so i said no.

However said put them in my valvestate, that doesnt work without seriously modding the amp, and i have no desire for Slash's tone. But thanks for the suggestion.

Im going to build them into my own home-made amp project one day, but that will be a long time in the future. At the moment they live in their boxes on my top shelf, along with other various valves i have acquired.

I was given them by somebody who didnt know what they were - so as you can tell, im a happy guy

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
First off, TS, that's ****in' great!

Now, this is just my opinion, take it or leave it. Why not really try to find the best offer that anyone will give you..and if it's around 800 like Roc said (which I trust, he's an expert..and that would be my best guess too), then take that money and put it towards your amp, upgrade all components, and throw some really nice reproduction tubes in there. Upgrades in all caps, resistors, PT and OT's, with still some kickass tubes in there is better than decent components and kickass tubes, imo...

Good luck man, you're one lucky bastard!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by lorrythebassguy

Im going to build them into my own home-made amp project one day, but that will be a long time in the future.

Use other valves to test your amp, if something goes funky, it'd suck to kill a $800 tube pair
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy

Now, this is just my opinion, take it or leave it. Why not really try to find the best offer that anyone will give you..and if it's around 800 like Roc said (which I trust, he's an expert..and that would be my best guess too), then take that money and put it towards your amp, upgrade all components, and throw some really nice reproduction tubes in there. Upgrades in all caps, resistors, PT and OT's, with still some kickass tubes in there is better than decent components and kickass tubes, imo...

+1 to this

thats probably what I'd do..sell them, and use the money to help fund a really quality build

but still, nice find
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy

Cheers for the advice.

Im not going to sell them, im just going to keep hold of them as an investment for as long as i can, and if i get really stuck for money, i shall sell them, but right now im happy. Nobody over this part of the world seems to fussed about them, so they will remain my little treasure

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Don't take this the wrong way, but people who do what your thinking of doing annoy me.

They are great tubes. Imo they should go in a great amp to make music. Not sit around in a collector's position.

Docent look (by your gear list) you have any amps that could use the tubes. Why not sell them now, make some money to finance a nice new amp.
Quote by kurtlives91
Don't take this the wrong way, but people who do what your thinking of doing annoy me.

They are great tubes. Imo they should go in a great amp to make music. Not sit around in a collector's position.

Docent look (by your gear list) you have any amps that could use the tubes. Why not sell them now, make some money to finance a nice new amp.

(firstly, do i recognise you from the pedalboard thread? Some of your custom pedals etc are awesome)

Im all for using vintage gear, love vintage pedals & amps, but i just cant bear to let these go right now. I have no reason to upgrade my amp, i dont play guitar that seriously, so there isnt any need to get a new one, the 8280 works just fine for me.
when i did want to sell them, i couldnt find a buyer, so i cant win either way tbh.

Im quite happy keeping hold of them for now.

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by kurtlives91
Have you tried ebay or a place like *shudders* The Gear Page or Harmony Central?

I dont use eBay currently, but i've been advertising them on places like here, talkbass, etc. Either way im not worried at the moment - im going to hang on to them for abit.

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals