i've been using the same strings for a wile, but i have a problem keeping the small e string in tune, can that mean my machine needs maintence or just a bad batch of strings, i dont have a problem with the other strings just the small e.

comments throw them at me.
old strings dont hold tuning well at all.
or do you just mean your using the same brand and gauge of strings?
just using the same brand and guage of strings, even after a couple of days of playing i'll tune up and after 2-3 minunits its out of tune e
sounds like either crappy tuning machines, bad strings or else strings that weren't put on right.
Last edited by patticake at Oct 28, 2009,
well the tuning machines are GOTOH i dont know the aspect ratio, could be a bad batch i use martin acoustic SP lights i've used them for a long time, i've been stringing guitars for over 10 years the same way and never had a problem till the last month, i've had the guitar for about 10 years.

here's some picks.
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/accousticguy/0910280001.jpg
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/accousticguy/0910280002.jpg
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/accousticguy/0910280003.jpg
Try some new strings, they only cost a few quid. If the problems persist go to a local musical instruments repair store and ask them there to take a look at your guitar.
Job done!

there could be one of many issuses.

A) you simply need new string, idealy you should change your stings on you acoustic every 6 weeks, but i dont think anyone can afford that, i cant, haha. but if you just change them every 3 months you mite get away with it

B) your machine heads are shit. out of interest, what sort of guitar do u have? i had a samick for ages and i had the same problem but for me it was the g string (rofl). some machine heads just arnt strong enough.

C) you may be using to strings that are too heavy for your guitar, im not entirely sure what gauge you should/can be using on a acoustic, perhaps someone could help me out with this. i use pretty heavy strings on mine but thats cause i tune my acoustic to D standard.

D) you may have vibrating string, ive actually got the same problem with my guitar atm on the same string, i just cant afford to get it fixed yet. i dont know too much about vibrating strings but i dont think its a big problem. it will never tune properly untill you get it fixed though

hope i was able to help some how
i play a fenix XL-30 jumbo, i use Martin SP lights e-.012 B-.016 G-.025 D-.032 A-.042 E-.054 (check out link to pic). just changed my strings, the ones i took off were only about 3 weeks old.
How do you tell and what does that mead vibrating string?
If the machine heads were not strong enough wouldent i have the same problem on the heavier strings?
BKGMorley said
B) your machine heads are shit. out of interest, what sort of guitar do u have? i had a samick for ages and i had the same problem but for me it was the g string (rofl). some machine heads just arnt strong enough.

the machine heads are shit theory just doesent fly with me, I've done some searching and there are alot of "shitty" machine heads out there, gotoh are not amone them just because there not made in the USA or say grover doesent mean there "shit" now that doesent mean im saying there among the top brands i'm saying there not "shit"
Could be something simple like your machine heads need tightening m8 ?
CELTIC - 1st British Club To Win The European Cup In '67. Everyone A Scot. Hail! Hail!
Quote by Chanter
Could be something simple like your machine heads need tightening m8 ?

hhmmmmm I've never taken apart machine heads, now when i change the strings i do make sure the sleaves r tight is that what u mean?
Quote by Accousticguy
hhmmmmm I've never taken apart machine heads, now when i change the strings i do make sure the sleaves r tight is that what u mean?

Just check your screws on your tuning keys and if any are to slack then just need tightened
CELTIC - 1st British Club To Win The European Cup In '67. Everyone A Scot. Hail! Hail!
I agree with Chanter, first try tighting the machine head key screw. That usually will tighten the machine.

Good luck!
Yamaha FG730S
Next time i change my strings i'll take apart my machine headsa and check them out see if there loose.
Quote by Accousticguy
Next time i change my strings i'll take apart my machine headsa and check them out see if there loose.

Dont need to take them apart just need the keys checked to see if any are loose and if so then tighten the screw/s but this doesnt need done very often
It's actually somewhat rare for the machine heads to be the culprit for strings losing their tuning. My guess would be that there might be some loose slack in the strings under the bridge pin because of poor seating.

How long have you had the strings on now? and how often have you been playing the guitar?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well the strings were on the guitar for about 3 weeks now there changed.

I usually play on a daily basis or bi-daily.

Cheers
Hmm... They would usually settle by now. Does the string look okay at the machine head - is it slipping up there?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Check the wrappings at the ball end of the string -- if it's never been an issue before, you may have a defective set and it may be slipping there.

Try that and also some lube on the nut might help.

Gotohs are awesome tuners -- I doubt that they're the culprits.
Since i've changed the strings a couple days ago i really havent had a issue with the small e going out of tune i think it was just a bad set of strings whew.

I have a project under way so i dont have the money to replace or fix my good gear, i will still do some maintence on the machine heads when i change my strings next.

thx all for the help and advice.

CHEERS