So I got this really nice MIJ Les Paul, pretty much exactly like a gibson lp custom, and I wanna change the decal to gibson (the diamond is already there)

Thing is, I can't seem to find any decent ones online. The ones I've found are only vinyl and not mop, and when I took it to the luthier, he wanted like $50 for it. (Is that a good price?)

Can anyone point me to the right direction in going about this?

Thanks.
Quote by steven seagull
don't be such a douche.

+ Gazillion

Do it and you'll be branded a cheap sh*t

Chrisiedit

Got warned for this and I apologise, I should have rephrased it in a less vulgar way.

TS, honestly I feel there isn't much point in actually changing a decal on a guitar. If you feel you have a kickass guitar, be proud of it instead of masking it as authentic real deal.
If I had a Squier I loved I wouldn't put a Fender decal on, i'd be confident in my Squier!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Oct 28, 2009,
Please don't put a Gibson logo on it. If for nothing else because it's highly illegal. Why don't you do something original and cool instead? For example, I am building a partscaster. The guitar started out as a Squier, but I literally have replaced every piece of hardware to either Fender or another brand so I didn't want the squier logo on it. I wound up getting a decal custom made. The design looks just like the image below, but instead of Fender, it says my name in the exact same font, and the serial number is JT00001 (JT are my initials).

You can find people all over Ebay to do things like that. Please don't be a douche and put the Gibson logo on it, from the outside it looks like you just want to dress it up and sell it for 5 times what you bought it for. I don't know that that is what you in fact are planning to do, but that's what it looks like to us. And did I mention that it was very very illegal?
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Quote by steven seagull
don't be such a douche.

Well go s my c.

Quote by Chrisiphone
Do it and you'll be branded cheap sh*t

I am cheap.

Quote by ATLstang
Please don't put a Gibson logo on it. If for nothing else because it's highly illegal. Why don't you do something original and cool instead? For example, I am building a partscaster. The guitar started out as a Squier, but I literally have replaced every piece of hardware to either Fender or another brand so I didn't want the squier logo on it. I wound up getting a decal custom made. The design looks just like the image below, but instead of Fender, it says my name in the exact same font, and the serial number is JT00001 (JT are my initials).

You can find people all over Ebay to do things like that. Please don't be a douche and put the Gibson logo on it, from the outside it looks like you just want to dress it up and sell it for 5 times what you bought it for. I don't know that that is what you in fact are planning to do, but that's what it looks like to us. And did I mention that it was very very illegal?

No, I wouldn't sell it. It doesn't even have a serial number or anything. I just wanted it to be more aesthetically pleasing than the dumb name (Bills Brothers) it has now. That is, unless my name was Bill or something.

A custom decal wouldn't be half bad. Any decent places where I can get it done?
i put a maserati badge on my ford and it increased engine performance by over 200%!!

search google for places that make custom waterslide decals.
dont insult people and expect a resopnce

read the last post you quoted

Quote by ATLstang

Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
yeaaah
you got a point there...sorry
but yeah check ebay they have alot of dudes making custom headstock decals
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by ATLstang
Please don't put a Gibson logo on it. If for nothing else because it's highly illegal. Why don't you do something original and cool instead?. And did I mention that it was very very illegal?

Illegal? No. Misrepresenting a copy as an original when selling it would constitute fraud but he's entitled to have the headstock say Gibson if that's what he wants.
Quote by BobDetroit
Illegal? No. Misrepresenting a copy as an original when selling it would constitute fraud but he's entitled to have the headstock say Gibson if that's what he wants.

The Gibson brand name and logo are copyrighted. Whoever sold it to him could be committing copyright infringement. It's not illegal to reproduce, but it is very illegal to reproduce it and make a profit off of it.

TS, check ebay, that's your best bet. I bought a set of 4 of the logo I had made for around $6.

Going down a different route, there are a few neat tutorials about making your own headstock logo. Here's a link to one from Projectguitar.com. Just some food for thought I guess.

I didn't mean to offend you earlier if I did, I just think it's cheesy to put Gibson on something that's not a Gibson. I'm all about customization and making something yours and one of a kind. But hey, if you want it to say Gibson, and you can find someone that'll make you one, it's your guitar not mine.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
When you ask about a decent place to get the work done then say your cheap really wont work well. The gibson logo is not just a sticker its inlay under the paint. Work like that wont be anywhere near cheap. If you put a sticker over the paint, only other option, it will be very obvious. Its why there is a market for those vinyl stickers, once people find out the cost of vanity they usually go the cheaper route.

Best advice is dont let things like this make you crazy. Its a guitar if it plays good it shouldnt matter what it says on the headstock. 3 of my guitars dont have anything on the headstock, doesnt affect my playing at all.
Quote by Tackleberry
When you ask about a decent place to get the work done then say your cheap really wont work well. The gibson logo is not just a sticker its inlay under the paint. Work like that wont be anywhere near cheap. If you put a sticker over the paint, only other option, it will be very obvious. Its why there is a market for those vinyl stickers, once people find out the cost of vanity they usually go the cheaper route.

Best advice is dont let things like this make you crazy. Its a guitar if it plays good it shouldnt matter what it says on the headstock. 3 of my guitars dont have anything on the headstock, doesnt affect my playing at all.

+ a million bajillion
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
jkpark8010First of all use a vinyl decal. Water slides tend to tear, you have to smooth out the bubbles and it leaves a cheezy outline. Any ways there is a lot of work to mod a gibson style headstock trust me it ain't worth it. Some online dealers that sell real gibsons can give you a low monthly payment deal, also make sure you understand how to properly handle nitro.

To the guy that says it's illegal he's wrong. It is only illegal if you are trying to sell a fake gibbo as the real deal.
Last edited by attilathehun at Sep 27, 2016,
You should find a cool Chibson sticker to impower yourself to rock and roll stardom!
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+