So I don't know a ton of theory at the moment, but I've been soloing over a song with the E Pentatonic scale, and sometimes I'll add in notes that aren't in the scale and still get a good sound. It that the start of another scale that I could also use?

For example, on of the notes I add is the 9th fret A string. Am I starting to accidentally incorperate another scale of something? And if so what scale? Sorry, I'm a bit of a theory noob
I hate my sig
You may be adding notes from the natural minor scale (as opposed to the minor pentatonic scale). 9th fret on the A string = B, which is the 2nd note of the A minor scale.

Edit:

9th fret on the A string = F#

take my advice and apply it to E minor pentatonic / E natural minor.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 28, 2009,
The pentatonic scales are just the major/minor scales with 2 notes omitted, so you may well be adding in those missing notes - they'll work fine because they are still in key.

Other notes can sound good too - just depends how you use them and what chords you use them over. Basically, if it sounds good do it
Oh ok. Thanks. When People say Minor scale, are they referring to the natural Minor scale or what? I've found that there are usually different names for each scale.
I hate my sig
im gonna assume your in this scale: "E minor pentatonic"
---12----15---
---12----15---
---12----14---
---12----14---
---12----14---
---12----15---
right?

the note youre referring to, the 9th fret on the A string, is an F# note. although this note is not in your pentatonic scale, it is in the diatonic (7-note) scale, that looks like this:
---12--14--15---
---12--13--15---
---12--14--------
---12--14--16---
---12--14--15---
---12--14--15---

the "14" on the E string, is your F# note. its also happens to be, 9th fret on the A string.

so when u hit that 9 on the A string (the F#), your actually just moving to a different E minor scale that looks like this:
---7--8--10---
---7--8--10---
---7--9-------
---7--9--10---
---7--9--10---
---7--8--10---

theres E minor notes and scales all over the fretboard.

hope this helps

EDIT: yes they are referring to a natural minor scale, as opposed to harmonic minor. natural minor is used waaay more than harmonic minor. not a lot of mainstream bands get into harmonic minor stuff.

by the way the 9th fret on the A string is defnitly not a B note. that is the 2nd note of the A string (A-A#-B).
Last edited by rkmad at Oct 28, 2009,
Pentatonic scales are basically major or minor scales with two of the tones missing. What you are probably doing is just putting the missing tones back and ending soloing using the major/minor scales.

As for minor scales there are three: natural, harmonic, and melodic. When someone solo's they are unlikely to use just one of these scales, instead at some points they will use natural 7ths (harmonic), sometimes b7s (natural) and sometimes natural 6ths (melodic).
Yes, that does help. Alot. I'm gonna try to start incorporating the Natural Minor scale into my improvising. I fel like using the 2 notes per string Pentatonic scale has been holding me back. Thanks alot Edit: That was to rk.

I already know the Major and Major pentatonic scales so I don't think that's what I'm doing. Probably the Natural Minor but thanks also
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Yes, that does help. Alot. I'm gonna try to start incorporating the Natural Minor scale into my improvising. I fel like using the 2 notes per string Pentatonic scale has been holding me back. Thanks alot

No problem

Also, if you're using the natural minor scale and it's not resolving as well then try using the leading, the natural 7th, from the harmonic minor scale.
Quote by 12345abcd3
No problem

Also, if you're using the natural minor scale and it's not resolving as well then try using the leading, the natural 7th, from the harmonic minor scale.

Could you plaese clarify what you mean by that? I don't know much about intervals
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Could you plaese clarify what you mean by that? I don't know much about intervals

Basically, the 7th note in the natural minor scale is 2 frets below the first note. In the harmonic minor scale it the fret below, which resolves much better to the first note (it pulls to the first note, the tonic, a lot more). Hope that clarifies things