So a Mesa Rectifier has always been the amp I've really wanted; sure it isn't the classiest amp, but I'm thinking budget wise, this is the one I've wanted. Ever since hearing one and knowing it's the choice amp for some of my favorite bands, I've wanted to have one of my own. Well, it has come to my knowledge that a Mesa Single Rectifier is actually in my price range!...if i can only sell my Marshall to get the remaining funds I need.

I mean, I enjoy my Marshall, but it tends to get muddy soemtimes, and although I have found suitable tones for the stuff I play, 100w is very loud for bedroom use and I just know the Mesa could provide me with the crunch I'm looking for, along with only 50w instead of an overpowering 100.

My question is...should I just stick with the Marshall and perhaps get an overdrive pedal to boost it some more (don't know if this will really help considering I'm already using my MXR eq pedal to boost it greatly)..or should i continue trying to sell the Marshall to get the Mesa I want? I really want that tight crunch Mesa's are known for.

I mean, I've heard a single rectifier boosted with an MXR and overdrive pedal is absolutely beastly. And the fact that Mesa's are pretty versatile themselves and American voiced also highly appeals to me.

It just seems I'm having a hard time selling my Marshall and I see SOOOO many good deals on Single Recs on ebay and Harmony Central..yet i can't afford them just yet because I need to get rid of the Marshall...and it's really starting to get to me

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
id say go and try one out for at least an hour. u might only like the single recs cause its different than what u have. think of it like women. u can have a wife that u love and is perfect for u, but ur still gonna oggle at other girls, but once u oggle enough, ull realize what u have with ur wife is more special.

aaaanyway. try it out for a long time and make sure it doesnt wear off on u, and u still love it, and then ull know what to do.

and fyi, the difference between 50 and 100 watts in tube amps is not a lot. its only like 1/5th louder, not twice as loud.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
My first thought is that I don't care for the DSL as you probably know so I say go for the Mesa, especially if you would rather have its American voicing.

My second thought is that you really need to give your current amp another chance with a Clean Boosting OD pedal, like a Bad Monkey, because it can help pull some more tone out of your amp and tighten up muddiness. Besides, if you do end up selling your Marshall, you can always use an OD. You can find a used Bad Monkey for $30.
^
not namely a Single, but i tried out a Dual Rec at an amp shop that my friend bought his Orange from

^^
good analogy...i'll have to think on it some more

^^^
i'm going to see if i can find someone who has an OD pedal, and then try it out on my Marshall to see if I can get some nice tonezzz

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
I agree with both posters above.

But my thought behind the question was, it doesn't sound like you're actually describing a Mesa Boogie.

For a start, I found mine to sound like crap at low volumes - and I had a Single Rectifier - you really had to drive it hard to get rid of that flub.
Which brings me onto the next point: the standard Rectifier series, in my opinion, is NOT tight. And if you had bother trying to evoke tight enough tones from a DSL with an EQ pedal, I don't think a Single Rectifier is much of a step up.

So, I suggest giving your current gear another whirl. That Digitech Bad Monkey really does help the tone, particularly for Marshalls.
You could try replacing the stock speakers or the stock valves (but you currently use KT77's, which are great valves for Marshall, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it's not your thing)

Anyway, what is your budget? You may be able to do better than a Mesa Boogie? Have you heard other amplifiers before? And I would suggest not relying on your favourite bands album tracks, as their tone is produced and engineered until it's perfect.
For instance, Gojira use Dual Rectifiers, and I love their tone, but I don't like the amp that much, particularly for the money us Europeans have to pay for them.
def try an od pedal first. i loved my 6505 before i got an od, and i saw all these threads popping up about how ods tighten up distortion, and thats what i wanted. so i bought a $30 danelectro cool cat drive on ebay...and it blew me away. especially at bedroom levels that we both play in, that extra boost is wonderful. turn down the gain on the amp, raise the level all the way on the pedal and drive all the way down, tone to taste, and prepare to be amazed.

BUT, also try this with the mesa
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I agree with both posters above.

But my thought behind the question was, it doesn't sound like you're actually describing a Mesa Boogie.

For a start, I found mine to sound like crap at low volumes - and I had a Single Rectifier - you really had to drive it hard to get rid of that flub.
Which brings me onto the next point: the standard Rectifier series, in my opinion, is NOT tight. And if you had bother trying to evoke tight enough tones from a DSL with an EQ pedal, I don't think a Single Rectifier is much of a step up.

So, I suggest giving your current gear another whirl. That Digitech Bad Monkey really does help the tone, particularly for Marshalls.
You could try replacing the stock speakers or the stock valves (but you currently use KT77's, which are great valves for Marshall, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it's not your thing)

Anyway, what is your budget? You may be able to do better than a Mesa Boogie? Have you heard other amplifiers before? And I would suggest not relying on your favourite bands album tracks, as their tone is produced and engineered until it's perfect.
For instance, Gojira use Dual Rectifiers, and I love their tone, but I don't like the amp that much, particularly for the money us Europeans have to pay for them.

Very good explanation, much obliged! My budgeet actually consists of what my Marshall is worth plus around $300-400, give or take.

But I guess if I gave my gear another whirl, I could buy a nice OD pedal and a used cab with V30s (<--- which someone is selling a new traditional Avatar 4x12 w/ V30s for $275 on my craigslist) for the same price id be adding just to get a Mesa

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Last edited by jcp42877 at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by jcp42877
Very good explanation, much obliged! My budgeet actually consists of what my Marshall is worth plus around $300-400, give or take.

But I guess if I gave my gear another whirl, I could buy a nice OD pedal and a used cab with V30s (<--- which someone is selling a new traditional Avatar 4x12 w/ V30s for $275 on my craigslist) for the same price id be adding just to get a Mesa
Avatar make great cabinets - and ironically enough, it's what I used when I had a Single Rectifier. It's not a bad idea, but it may not alter the tone enough to warrant spending $300 on it. I dunno, really, tbh.

What do you predict you can get for your DSL?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Avatar make great cabinets - and ironically enough, it's what I used when I had a Single Rectifier. It's not a bad idea, but it may not alter the tone enough to warrant spending $300 on it. I dunno, really, tbh.

What do you predict you can get for your DSL?

ehh, WORST case, I'd like AT LEAST $625 for it. I'd hoped i could get $700 since i see TSL100's going for $775-800, and a few TSL60s going for $700-725

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Let me scour ebay for you and I'll edit my post with whatever I find you may like. I'll keep the budget between $600 and $1000. They'll be too many amps otherwise.

edit:

Bogner Alchemist. This amp is very dark and moody sounding, but is more than capable of handling any genre. It's an extremely diverse amp. Some have mentioned distate for it - maybe because it's so electic - so I do suggest trying it out before-hand - or at least listening to a few clips; there are a number of solid ones on the net.
Also, to note, it has a quite a liquid, fuzziness to it that is I find to be awesome.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bogner-Alchemist-2x12-electric-guitar-amplifier_W0QQitemZ180424631881QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a02256649

Laney TT50 Combo. I've only played the head version, and I was impressed. Nowhere near as much as the VH100R, or even the GH50L, which is cheaper, but it did have a solid tone to it. It's very, very British and dry. I find it a little "thin" and "crispy" for my tastes, but you may love that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Laney-TT50-1x12-Combo-Marshall-Style-EL34-Amp_W0QQitemZ190342954739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5152fef3

Laney GH50L. Awesome single-channel amp. You'll need that Avatar cabinet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Laney-GH50L-Guitar-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ120394102010QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c080c34fa

Peavey XXX. I haven't actually played the 40 watt version, but the head version I have tried was damn good, particularly for the cheap prices you can get these days.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Super-40-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp_W0QQitemZ260497971134QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6e397be

Line 6 Vetta II (no reserve)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Line-6-Vetta-II-Head-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ170399067436QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ac936d2c

ENGL. I haven't personally tried this model (or any of the combo versions bar the Thunder and Screamer)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ENGL-E101-100-WATT-AMP-COMBO-PROGRAMMABLE-W-CELESTION_W0QQitemZ250373227284QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4b684314

I'm sure there are other amps that you can find yourself, but those are suggestions I can personally vouch for pretty condfidently.

If you want any more offers me to look for, I'll try my best, but I know very little about American amps and have very little experience with them.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Let me scour ebay for you and I'll edit my post with whatever I find you may like. I'll keep the budget between $600 and $1000. They'll be too many amps otherwise.

Well thanks

To add a note, I've owned a Carvin V3 (which I liked, but need to sell to buy my car)
a 5150 combo (didn't like too much
and I've been looking at a Peavey XXX head

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Any more opinions? I'm kinda leaning towards the "trying an OD pedal on the Marshall" idea.

Although, I may have to end up selling my whole rig, as my car broke down last night and it's possible the transmission went out ohnozzzzz

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables