About a month ago, when I bought my Gibson Firebird, I was into low-mid gain tone (like the one you hear on Adolescents' "Adolescents"), but lately, I've started to like the mid-high gain tone (like on Against the Grain, Liberal Animation, Ribbed, Trashed, and so on..) I have a Mesa Boogie DC-5. which is a high gain amp, but even when it's on 10, I'm not getting the amount of gain that I would like. It's just barely under.

So I was thinking of getting a distortion pedal, the BOSS DS-1. But as long as I've been playing guitar, I've only heard people talking sh*t about it. And I've heard that a pedal in front of an already distorted amp will create a buzzy sound? The ideal tone for me would be Brain Baker's live tone.So I'd appreciate if you could tell me how to get closer to that sound, without ripping it off.

So I was hoping to get some help with this problem that I have. And also if the DS-1 is as bad as people say it is, could you recommend some other ones? I'm not digging the Big Muff.
overdrive pedal possibly?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
I second that.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Just the term "overdrive" scares me. Because when I hear "overdrive", I think of Thin Lizzy, and that type of sound. But you're saying that it could work as a boost for mid gain, to achieve a high gain sound?
I mean, it'll basically "push" your tubes further and give you that extra boost you need.

That, or an EQ pedal that will allow some more gain

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by gogosega
Just the term "overdrive" scares me. Because when I hear "overdrive", I think of Thin Lizzy, and that type of sound. But you're saying that it could work as a boost for mid gain, to achieve a high gain sound?

And this is a bad thing?

Also +1 to the OD or EQ.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92
And this is a bad thing?

Also +1 to the OD or EQ.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but in this case, where I'm striving for a higher gain sound, I'm not wanting to get that sound, but it works great for what they are doing.

Quote by WtrPlyr
What are your EQ settings? Scooping mids may result in gainloss.

Otherwise, get an overdrive pedal.

My EQ is far from scooped. I have my Treble and Mids on 7-10, and Bass on 5-6. And the Graphic EQ set straight with the treble and mids up a bit.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
Maxon OD808, OD9
Ibanez TS9, TS808
Fulltone OCD

Try out these. What you're going to want to do is place them in front of the amp with the volume/level maxed, and the gain/overdrive on minimum. Then do the other knobs as you see fit. This is going to push the tubes a little harder, resulting in an increase of gain. If it doesn't sound like absolute crap, you could also try moving the gain/overdrive up a little if it doesn't boost it enough.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Shiromar
Try out these. What you're going to want to do is place them in front of the amp with the volume/level maxed, and the gain/overdrive on minimum. Then do the other knobs as you see fit. This is going to push the tubes a little harder, resulting in an increase of gain. If it doesn't sound like absolute crap, you could also try moving the gain/overdrive up a little if it doesn't boost it enough.

Forgive my noobness, especially since I recommended an Od pedal to him

But...this is what'd you do for anyone looking to boost their amp a little more correct?

I mean currently, I have my MXR and NS-2 hooked through my FX loop. Would I hook the OD back there or in front of my amp?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by Shiromar

Would this provide a rather thick and gainy tone?
Quote by Shiromar
+1

Cheaper options include, Digitech Bad Monkey, Biyang OD, Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrive, ProCo Rat 2 (which is a little more fuzzy than the others) etc.
Quote by jcp42877
Forgive my noobness, especially since I recommended an Od pedal to him

But...this is what'd you do for anyone looking to boost their amp a little more correct?

I mean currently, I have my MXR and NS-2 hooked through my FX loop. Would I hook the OD back there or in front of my amp?

Yeah, you'd want to stick it back in front of the amp.

Quote by gogosega
Would this provide a rather thick and gainy tone?

Yes. The most common use for this is to tighten up the tone, as well as add a little bit of gain. It's quite subjective, as you're going to want to find the best pedal for you. Tubescreamers have a nice midrange boost, which some people like.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
+1

Cheaper options include, Digitech Bad Monkey, Biyang OD, Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrive, ProCo Rat 2 (which is a little more fuzzy than the others) etc.

Also check out these pedals. It's all about how much you want to spend.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Last edited by Shiromar at Oct 28, 2009,
But do you think that they have enough gain? Because I don't want to buy a TS9, and when I get home, it turns out it's not enough. Which one has the most gain? Because it's better to have too much than too little.
Check reviews, Youtube clips, etc. to find out for yourself - that is, if you cannot test them by hand.

It really depends on how much gain you're talking about. It's very hard to distinguish what exactly you are referring to with gain, even if you do point me in the direction of a band that exemplifies your ideal tone. Gain is personal, there are too many defining factors to worry about to really pinpoint what somebody constantly requires.

Non of the pedals listed have gallons of gain - they are overdrive pedals, they are meant to push your valve into a more crunchy territory. Most hi-gain distortion pedals sound like sh*t, or are $300.

But, a Bad Monkey has a pretty tasty amount of bluesy gain. The Fulltone OCD has a nice amount, as well. The Danelectro has similar amounts to the Bad Monkey, but is more transparent, hence the name. I could go on.
I see what you mean. I was kind of waiting for that post. However, I want to thank you (And everybody else who replied) for that particular post, because it made me decide on the Fulltone OCD. I think it will work out the best of the ones mentioned in this thread.
Quote by gogosega
I see what you mean. I was kind of waiting for that post. However, I want to thank you (And everybody else who replied) for that particular post, because it made me decide on the Fulltone OCD. I think it will work out the best of the ones mentioned in this thread.
It is a great pedal. Numerous amounts of UGers use them and are very happy with it's abilities and quality.

I hope it works out for you. And thanks.