edit: resolved

So I've had a problem with a certain guitar for a while now..
I'll start off by saying it isn't a hardcore junker. It runs about 600 new and has about 200 dollars of modified hardware on it, etc.

It used to be alright but over time the problem got worse and worse.. the g-string would just go out of tune after playing a bit.. eventually it got so bad I couldn't even play it and I bought some new grovers for it and replaced them.. after that it seemed to stay in tune a bit better but it still would go out after a bit sometimes.. I hadn't been playing guitar much over the past couple months but am doing so now and the g-string is back to how it used to be and going out of tune constantly.. I can tune it and 30 seconds later it'll be out..

I have no idea what to do with this guitar. What could possibly be causing it go out of tune like this?
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Oct 29, 2009,
It would help us to know what the guitar is. Some are known to be a bit difficult and may need some lubrication of the nut etc. Or it might be the way you attach the strings, allowing them to unwind a bit.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

It's probably the nut if it's not the tuners. Get some graphite (pencil lead) and run it through the grooves of the nut. If that doesn't work, I'd try graphite you can buy at any guitar shop, and if that doesn't solve the problem, I'd get it looked at by a professional.
Quote by Pus_Head
G-strings suck

Almost every guitar ive played it goes out within 10 minutes

You've played some fucking shit guitars then brah.
Quote by consecutive e

+1.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by consecutive e

also, the g is the most prone to be coming out of tune. do you give your strings a thorough stretching when you first put them on?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Do you hear a "ping" when it goes out of tune?

If so, it's the nut.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah this problem is common man. From my experience with Epiphones they arent too bad. New strings come out of tuen constantly because they are getting used to the tension. Thin strings liek 9's can too because they can't be bent but so far before they are a bit offset haha. But I would try lube for the nut and the graphite too maybe. thye arent bad ideas. If your grovers on the Epiphone Les Paul arent doing it then somethign is wrong. My epi worked fine, but I havent played it since I got my gibson LP. so. yeah man. My gibson has grovers on it and they work fine. anyway good luck man.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Quote by TechnicolorType
it's an Epi LP Standard.

Lubricate the nut as described. Check your windings. If it still won't hold decently (and nothing is perfect in this world), replace the tuners with good brand locking ones.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Some problems with tuning stability on a fixed bridge guitar in no order are....
1, Poorly cut nut binds strings when bending.
2,Improper string warping at the tuners.
3,Crappy strings. It is not common but I have had brand new strings that were bad.
4,Bad technique. Some times it is just operator error. Over bending. Beating the snot out of the guitar.blah blah blah
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
New tuners maybe? Grovers cost about $30 online.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Yeah, I have problems with the G string as well, but I fixed it.

Take off the G string and get a pencil (lead or graphite). Colour in the groove at the nut where the G string meets at the nut. This will act like a lubricant.

This will prevent your string going out of tune.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Quote by SOADriff
New tuners maybe? Grovers cost about $30 online.

It has Grovers already. But 90% of tuning problems are due to improper stringing technique. It may be the nut too. Lubricate the nut and pay closer attention to how your stringing your guitar.
If it's an Lp Standard made in the last two and a half/three years or so, it's already got really great tuners on - so it's not that. The bridges are also fantastic (better than those on Gibson Standards, in fact), so it's not that either.

That means it's down to one of two things: most likely, you're not restringing the guitar correctly, or there is the possibility that the string is binding in the nut. However since you've specified the G string in particular having problems, that says to me it's your restringing/set up method that is at fault.

Read the set up thread which is stickied at the top of this forum.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Everyone recommending new tuners.. I clearly said in the first post that I bought new "GROVERS."

The strings are new but not so new to where they aren't stretched.

I've been stringing guitars for years and I've only ever had that problem with this guitar. The problem seemed to fade when I got new tuners but came back.

But anyways, I took the string off and lubricated the nut and then re-strung the G and bam. So far it's staying in tune fine. Go figure.

I think it should be good now. Thanks everyone! =D
Yeah-I was right, it's the nut. Word of advice, the nut on Epiphones suck - they're soft plastic. Get a nice Tusq or Black Tusq XL or bone nut and you'll be set.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
take some pencil lead and put it in the nut as already said if that doesn't work.. your nut may need filed/changed.. take it to a professional if this persists.
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
I'd be interested to know actually, which Grovers you put on it, since the guitar comes stock with 18:1 Grover Rotomatics.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.