Now in my last thread (removed now) We discussed Rig options and choices. The clean that the Thread seemed to choose was a Twin Reverb but The question is. How many of you fellow UGers use a clean amp with pedals to acheive your tones? Or do Some use cleans and dirty amps? Or just dirty? People from the previous thread are open to add because I am sure I have missed somethings. This can apply to any genre.
If love was money I could afford you honey.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
Quote by The3rdMugician
Now in my last thread (removed now) We discussed Rig options and choices. The clean that the Thread seemed to choose was a Twin Reverb but The question is. How many of you fellow UGers use a clean amp with pedals to acheive your tones? Or do Some use cleans and dirty amps? Or just dirty? People from the previous thread are open to add because I am sure I have missed somethings. This can apply to any genre.

In the last thread a question came up that neither me nor the originator of the question could answer; can you, with the right pedals, get a top notch metal tone out of, for argument's sake, a Twin Reverb.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 28, 2009,
Of course all posts will be pure oppinion in this thread but If you do use cleans and have happen to stumble across some pedals that give great distortion, reverb, tremolo or any other effect that in you oppinion replecates that of an Amp. Feel free to tell us about it

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
Quote by tubetime86
In the last thread a question came up that neither me nor the originator of the question could answer; can you, with the right pedals, get a top notch metal tone out of, for argument's sake, a Twin Reverb.

Tube time your much better with words than myself

Quote by The3rdMugician
Tube time your much better with words than myself

Its all good, man. I do a lot of writing for my work, so I'm used to it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The Rothwell Hellbender is an amazing "marshall in a box". I know it's a pretty steep claim but on ProGuitarShop.com's YouTube profile they have done a direct comparison to a cranked 50w plexi.

Needless to say, although the amp does sound a tiny bit better, all the characteristics are there.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
The Rothwell Hellbender is an amazing "marshall in a box". I know it's a pretty steep claim but on ProGuitarShop.com's YouTube profile they have done a direct comparison to a cranked 50w plexi.

Needless to say, although the amp does sound a tiny bit better, all the characteristics are there.

What amp are they running it into? I don't have youtube here at work, sorry.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Chrisiphone

Ya know i watched that recently and they did sound incredibly close, but i cant for the life of me find one of those damn boxes for sale. i found some in pounds but was to lazy to covert to see what it would run me.

Iv wondered about preamp pedals though as well thought. Iv heard that the EHX english muffin can give some preety authentic british sounds

Quote by The3rdMugician
Ya know i watched that recently and they did sound incredibly close, but i cant for the life of me find one of those damn boxes for sale. i found some in pounds but was to lazy to covert to see what it would run me.

Iv wondered about preamp pedals though as well thought. Iv heard that the EHX english muffin can give some preety authentic british sounds

I've also heard great things about the Tone Bone: Hot British.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tube time i think they lined um both out to the same cabinet to be fair, i recall maybe a vox cab but i dont remember. I can find the video. but u cant watch it so i dont know what good it would do, oh well u could check it out sometime still
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntepQvucDfY

Quote by tubetime86

It's a Fender Tweed Twin, which was decided is a bit stupid as it is already similar to a vintage marshall. To make it fairer they should have done it through a twin reverb. They are trying to sell the pedal though so they will want it to sound as good as the Plexi. IMO the pedal sounds better in the video.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
personally i use a twin reverb and a pedalboard (described in my sig). I love the clean sound of the amp and the reverb is the best i have ever heard. but i also use the amp for metal tones as well with my rat/ts9 combo and to me it sounds just like a marshall with both those pedals engaged
Quote by tubetime86

Fender 57' Tweed Twin

Quote by The3rdMugician

They actually make them up the road from me so i'm wanting to pop in there one day and make me a custom Hellbender to my specs

E-Married to Funny_Page
Chrisiphone if you get one made to your specs we demand reviews and sound clips!!!

Quote by The3rdMugician
Chrisiphone if you get one made to your specs we demand reviews and sound clips!!!

Need money first

I want it to replicate slash's tonez and i'll happily throw £200 at them for it.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Personally I run a multi-amp setup. '74 Bassman 50 for my cleans and an Ashdown Fallen Angel for my dirt. I've always preferred amp distortion over pedal distortion.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What is this thread about exactly?

Maybe I'll just watch instead.

I think the TS is trying to get an idea of whether people use a clean amp with dirt boxes (and if so which amp and which fx), just dirty amps, or a multi-amp setup - one for clean and one for dirt.
311 i always manage to find you in this forum

Quote by tubetime86

I don't see why not. Most metal "tones" are just brash preamp distortion compressed to the balls.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
metalhead u r correct

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What is this thread about exactly?

The idea that there are two schools of thought:
1. Different sounds require different amps. The best clean amp is not the best dirty amp and vice versa.
2. A good tube power section can produce good tones clean or dirty, and preamps or pedals can provide you with all the variation you need.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gerardwayne
I don't see why not. Most metal "tones" are just brash preamp distortion compressed to the balls.

edit - most Modern Metal "tones"
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne

Ya that's what I thought, but I don't know from experience. I have, however heard some pretty great distorted tones from different pedals into Roland JC-120s and that's as clean as you can get without getting a PA power amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You're probably right.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I would prefer to have ONE amp for everything.

I don't like the idea of getting clean amps to run pedals through it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Personally I just try to alter "my sound" for everything I do, no matter which genre.

I have a single channel amp, so i'd run it on a slightly more than mildly overdriven crunch, back off guitar volume for clean, and use an OD to push it further into overdrive for lead's etc.

E-Married to Funny_Page