If i buy a 300 watt solid state vs a 100 watt solid state ... does that mean that i can play the amp louder before the "bad clipping " of solid state occur .

if solid state doesnt sound good at high volume .. if i take a higher wattage .. do i have more room before it get "sterile" ??
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
headroom doesnt make any difference in "sterility". Headroom lets you stay cleaner at higher volumes. 300 is just way too much IMO. 100 is very loud.

BUMEDIT: Main thing you want to look for is a good sounding amp, whether SS or tube. Don't let the technology make your mind. Just try different things, no matter the wattage, no matter SS or tube. Find what you like.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Last edited by Zakkcd at Oct 28, 2009,
It really depends on the quality of the amp. Alot of crappy ss amps will clip any hotter signals they recieve before amping them. Worst case scenario - this can make horrible solid state power amp distortion, and can happen even at low volumes.

You'll never need 300watts for anything except maybe a microwave or a bass. Any situation that requires a guitar to be amped to that level will have proper PA support.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by greggybhoy

I've wondered too...

Why have you wondered... Isn't this a no-brainer? Headroom still exists on SS and surely it is proportionate to wattage, like with tubes... I don't know this for a technical fact, but yes of course it does.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
its because i playn 99 % of the time in my bedroom at really low volume but i may start practising with a drummer soon .. right now i have a marshall cab and pedals ... i just need a power amp and was thinking about solid state since it will be play at 1 on the volume 90 % of the times .

i was looking at rocktron velocity 100

marshall valvestate 8008

etc..

or i might go tube but i cant crank it all at home ... i play at very low level ( at a point were the tube havent begin to open up and sound compressed ( a problem i dont have with solid state )

im not gigging at all .

my set up is a mess right up .. im using a roland micro cube that i have tear apart and hook up my 4x12 cab to it .. but it clearly not design to handle such speaker and doesnt sound very good .

i need a real power amp
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Oct 28, 2009,
thx ive check out variable wattage ..like the egnater rebel 20 but i heard theres a big difference between the 1 and 20 watt .. it was still very loud .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Skysc

my set up is a mess right up .. im using a roland micro cube that i have tear apart and hook up my 4x12 cab to it .. but it clearly not design to handle such speaker and doesnt sound very good .

Jeepers, man. Do a bit of googling and ge yourself an actual amp. Quickly.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
It's not like tube amps sound bad at low volumes.... they just tend to sound better when louder. Even at a low volume you can still get great tones with a tube amp
I hate my sig