...everything is working fine now. Apparently it was bad soldering, and in the case of one valve socket, not at all! Steve at Valvepower said he has a young tech working under him at the moment which may explain it...

One issue that was raised however is that Stevie at Flynn amps in Glasgow said that the weight of the transformers has bent the aluminium chassis. Apparently this (and the soldering) was not the result of over eager couriers playing NFL with my amp before I got it.

I let Steve from Valvepower know the situation and as promised, he refunded me the cost of the repairs. He said that the bent chassis won't be a problem but I'm a little concerned about holding on to this amp if the structural integrity is already on the wane. The guys at Flynn said that provided I don't handle it to roughly, everything should be okay, but regardless, it's not really the advice I want. I don't want to turn this into a protracted affair as tonally the amp is everything I've ever wanted, and the amp will rarely if ever leave the house, but nobody would tell you not to turn your car too sharply in case the wheels were to fall of would they?
Quote by greggybhoy
...everything is working fine now. Apparently it was bad soldering, and in the case of one valve socket, not at all! Steve at Valvepower said he has a young tech working under him at the moment which may explain it...

One issue that was raised however is that Stevie at Flynn amps in Glasgow said that the weight of the transformers has bent the aluminium chassis. Apparently this (and the soldering) was not the result of over eager couriers playing NFL with my amp before I got it.

I let Steve from Valvepower know the situation and as promised, he refunded me the cost of the repairs. He said that the bent chassis won't be a problem but I'm a little concerned about holding on to this amp if the structural integrity is already on the wane. The guys at Flynn said that provided I don't handle it to roughly, everything should be okay, but regardless, it's not really the advice I want. I don't want to turn this into a protracted affair as tonally the amp is everything I've ever wanted, and the amp will rarely if ever leave the house, but nobody would tell you not to turn your car too sharply in case the wheels were to fall of would they?

Hmmm, that is concerning. I had really high expectations of those guys too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I think it should be fine. I'm no expert though. It really is a great amp.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
I think it should be fine.

From another VP owner...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'll see what Dave_Mc says. Dave_Mc, he's the shit. If I knew where he lived I drive there and him you sexually. (Oh so siggable!)
Last edited by greggybhoy at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by greggybhoy
I'll see what Dave_Mc says. His opinion is one I respect a lot. (Oh so siggable!)

Too proper for sigging. A sig worthy quote is more like: "Yo man, you the shit. If I knew where you lived I drive there and please you sexually."

"His opinion is one I respect greatly..." Not cutting it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
From another VP owner...
What about it?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by tubetime86
Too proper for sigging. A sig worthy quote is more like: "Yo man, you the shit. If I knew where you lived I drive there and please you sexually."

"His opinion is one I respect greatly..." Not cutting it.

Fixed!

EDIT: For the record, my Valvepower is different from the rest structurally, due to having a proper head casing and they've obviously extended the chassis, so it's hard to compare the two amps structurally.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Oct 28, 2009,
can we get some pics of this greggy? not sure I follow the bent chassis part. It sounds like they need to rethink the chassis material from how I am understanding this.

Glad it's fixed and you got the tones you are after. clips if you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by greggybhoy
I'll see what Dave_Mc says. Dave_Mc, he's the shit. If I knew where he lived I drive there and him you sexually. (Oh so siggable!)

o_O

I dunno what to say, man. I'm sorry yours is in a bad way, but as you say, yours is the headshell version, so I dunno. Mine is still fine, but I haven't opened it or anything like that. It's up to you, really. You're right, it doesn't sound too encouraging.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
o_O

Blame tubetime86!

gregs, I would take pics but my camera phone is broke - all my sh*t is breaking right now!

Basically though, all the transformers are concentrated on one side of the head, which Stevie from Flynn amps says has bent the aluminium chassis, due to the weight. Looking in the back of it, I can't really see any difference and Steve from Valvepower says it must have been transit damage.

I think the difference between mine and Dave_Mc's etc is the longer chassis gives more room for it to flex or bend. The Concord style amps are built on a smaller base (the size of a 60's Concord to be precise!), whereas mine is inside a head around the size of a Marshall 2061.
At least it's working atm, but it doesn't sound good. I hope my VP will be fine when i get it.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
They'd hardly send you another one in the mesh cage finish? Haven't heard anyone having structural problems with any of those, even if they do look less like an amp and more like something from a mad max movie.

Or not...

I'm a bit worried about getting involved in another customer service relations debate this evening.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by greggybhoy
Blame tubetime86!

gregs, I would take pics but my camera phone is broke - all my sh*t is breaking right now!

Basically though, all the transformers are concentrated on one side of the head, which Stevie from Flynn amps says has bent the aluminium chassis, due to the weight. Looking in the back of it, I can't really see any difference and Steve from Valvepower says it must have been transit damage.

I think the difference between mine and Dave_Mc's etc is the longer chassis gives more room for it to flex or bend. The Concord style amps are built on a smaller base (the size of a 60's Concord to be precise!), whereas mine is inside a head around the size of a Marshall 2061.

ah, now maybe i can help a little there. I actually noticed that in the original ebay advert, though all i thought was, "hmm, that's interesting, the transformers are in a different place from mine".

The transformers on mine are at either end of the head. Presumably more balanced, and presumably that thing with the chassis wouldn't have happened with the cage version.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you deserve what happened I just mean that for people getting the cage version, that shouldn't be a problem. I think.

Quote by gerardwayne

I'm a bit worried about getting involved in another customer service relations debate this evening.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 28, 2009,