Hello

I'm working on my downpicking to be able to player master of puppets at full speed.

I play along to it using guitar pro and i started at the tempo where i could play it perfect which was 170 bpm, i slowly increased the speed with about 2-4 bpm each time and i can now play it clean at 198 bpm.

Now im stuck at 198 and i can't seem to get any faster i've been playing it at that speed for 2-3 weeks now and everytime i try to raise the speed it just get sloopy.

What should i do ? this method doesnt work anymore
try working out with weights a little, build forearm strenght. or the answer everyone else here will give you. fap.
More than likely, it's because your technique isn't spotless (and trust me, at those speeds, it needs to be spotless). Even if it's just downpicking, you're still moving your hand about the same speed. In all honesty, I don't think you should use your forearm at all for any kind of picking other than sweeping.

Now, that being said, slow down to about 150BPM (maybe slower...). I know, it'll be a b*tch at first because you'll be thinking "I know I can go faster...why go THIS slow?" Well, it's because something wasn't right when you started and you need to fix it. Probably some sort of tension or too big of motions and what have you...

I don't know enough about strictly downpicking to tell you exactly how to do it, but there are general rules (like this information) that I follow when practicing. Hope this helps.
Quote by metalmlitiachaz
try working out with weights a little, build forearm strenght. or the answer everyone else here will give you. fap.

Technique should be strainless, if you have to build up muscle to do something on guitar, urdoingitwr0ng.
What exactly are you having problems with? Straight downpicking or a riff? When it comes to downpicking you just have to let it develop by itself over time (at least that applied to me). Just keep playing stuff you can and within weeks, months or maybe years you'll be "naturally" faster.

I also learned that playing the same thing over and over again isn't very helpful. I was trying to get a riff down and I was struggling with it so I said **** it and went to sleep. I could play it just fine the next day.
Downpicking...haha.

When I started guitar..I learned on my own, and didn't really know much, so in every song, I only down picked.

And now I can play fast with downpicks.
I guess I'm just used to downpicking.

But I know its improper, and I mix up down, and down together.

I can play Master of Puppets downpicking, it's easy for me.

Only advice I can give you is to just play every song using the downpicking technique for a while.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Quote by mightywarrior
What exactly are you having problems with? Straight downpicking or a riff? When it comes to downpicking you just have to let it develop by itself over time (at least that applied to me). Just keep playing stuff you can and within weeks, months or maybe years you'll be "naturally" faster.

I also learned that playing the same thing over and over again isn't very helpful. I was trying to get a riff down and I was struggling with it so I said **** it and went to sleep. I could play it just fine the next day.

Hmm i usually read here that you should play the same thing over and over and slowly increase the speed.

It's this riff that gives me problem, i can play the other parts of the song at full speed but this riff is freaking hard ..

|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------4------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2------|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1--------|
Quote by rockerthenew
Hmm i usually read here that you should play the same thing over and over and slowly increase the speed.

It's this riff that gives me problem, i can play the other parts of the song at full speed but this riff is freaking hard ..

|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2------|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1--------|

I would suggest then that it's probably the release of the palm mute that's making your motions too big, slow down a bit and concentrate on making that hand movement away from the bridge as small as you can and then start speeding up again when it becomes second nature to you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm having trouble with this too :/
Playing on my acoustic
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30