I have a feeling I am doing something wrong. I don't know if is my wrist, the height of my guitar or the poition of my guitar (left and right). My wrist is at an odd angle. I like to solo and play the higher frets with my thumb behind the neck perpindicular and when chording, ny thumb around the neck. It just feels uncomfortable when I play thumb behind the neck abovwe about the 9th fret. It's tough to describe. I have my guitar usually with the middle of the guitar usually a little above my belt buckle. It is usually in the middle of my body (left and rightwise). Also when I do it my thumb hyperextends maybe? My hand is more like a hitchhikers thumb on the back of the neck and less like this : http://pbguitars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Guitar-right-hand-position.jpg Which is more appropriate?
I think those are seperate issues but maybe they are linked

EDIT: what i mean by the hitchhiker thing is the whole flat part of the end of my thumb. Should I only be using the tip of my thumb?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Oct 28, 2009,
adjust the height and angle of your guitar till you find something comfortable, I usually tilt head stock upward when I play in the higher frets
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Odd. Usually these problems are caused by playing too low but it sounds like yours is a different thing. A lot of guitarists like to raise the neck to quite a high angle for solos, so that may help a bit.
Putting your thumb around is mostly bad. Your thumb controls the pressure you apply and without it you might be causing strain on the rest of your hand. So try to find positions where your thumb is correctly placed in the middle of the back of the neck, or close to it. (except for Gm which breaks the rules)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

So the hitchikers thumb thing on the back is normal? the thumb doesnt need to be bend at the knuckle?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Blues-Rock. But i like the thumb behind the neck for more range when soloing.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser