Ok, first things first, im sure this thread has been done before, but A) things change, B) i didn't exactly know what to put in the search bar for this topic - Obviously "places to start bands" gave me nothing

Anyways, i moved out to Las Vegas, NV about a month ago to start trying to get a band around. Unfortunately i found that the music scene down here ain't that great.
Mind you, i made a bit of error when i moved out here, so i don't entirely blame the scene, but either way i looked at it, just wasn't great. So im pretty much going to move back home, get myself back together, make some better choices in terms of getting my license and savings and such.

But when i do move out again where are some places i might want to check out? Especially for Hard Rock/Metal?

And don't give me "The internet" :p, we all already know that the internet has changed things alot, but there's still places that are better than others to actually MEET and JAM with like minded musicians.

Thanks, and peace
Shustermeister
No music scene in Vegas, huh?

I think I'll let Alan take this question. He likes these.
Quote by chokmool
I think I'll let Alan take this question. He likes these.

Yes thank you. I should just write a template answer for these.

I can feel ya man. Las Vegas. It's notorious for having a dismal music scene. I remember going there once, and I only saw 4 or 5 bands when walking through a hotel. It was barren. Many people think that deserts are just devoid of water, but it also rings true for musicians.

I too was looking for musicians when I went to Vegas, I asked around with my old mates. Elton John, Celine Dion and Tom Jones told me they hadn't seen any around, and those guys in the Piano Bar in New York New York wouldn't talk to me unless I paid for a sit-down table. I even went to the Las Vegas Musicians Union, but only to find out that there was a typo in their name - they actually represented Dog Owners. Out of desperation I went to Craiglist. Despite having 20-30 new classifieds a day I could see it what it really was, barren. I googled, only to find a mere 25,000 references to musician's wanted.

Once I saw a guitar just hanging alone above the Hard Rock cafe and I was wondering where the guitarist had gone. I did find him in a cowboy hat pedaling his wares further up the strip.

I don't think you have a chance to find anyone dude. Best thing you can do is bury yourself in the desert. I can do it for you if you like.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Goddamn, you're in the desert!
Stoner/Sludge!
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
perhaps all the musicians have taken part in a mass exodus to antartica, and we're the only remaining survivors. it's kinda' like a zombie invasion, or that movie where kirk cameron is fighting the devil or something.
Thank you for reminding me that Las Vegas sucks. Unfortunately that dosen't help me :p
Im going to go home to my small town in NY, and start saving to move to a new place, so any suggestions on places i should check out??
Quote by Shustermeister
Thank you for reminding me that Las Vegas sucks. Unfortunately that dosen't help me :p
Im going to go home to my small town in NY, and start saving to move to a new place, so any suggestions on places i should check out??

I feel somewhat sad that Alan put all that effort into his post and you let it go over your head.

Basically you are not looking hard enough. You couldn't find anything in Vegas so you are moving...do you expect musicians to be presented to you on a plate?
Hollyowood California? I know there a really big Music college down, Musicians Institute (I'm gonna try yo get into it in a few years), but from what I've heard it should be pretty easy to find a band down there.
Quote by Adisturbedone
Hollyowood California? I know there a really big Music college down, Musicians Institute (I'm gonna try yo get into it in a few years), but from what I've heard it should be pretty easy to find a band down there.

Musician's institute isn't a very big school, and many find it to be pretty sketchy. LA is one of the prime locations for musicians however- it can be really hard to make it around there. I would recommend making a good following just outside a city- b/c it can be very hard to just grow people from the inside...
Alright let me try and redeem myself here since i was a little too blond to see that Alan's post was pretty much pure sarcasm.

The move i am making doesn't just have to do with me not finding musicians, it also deals with financial other mistakes that i didn't take into consideration when i moved out here, so im moving back to my small town in New York to regroup, get some better finances, better gear, get a car etc.

I was hoping for some real answers, but understandably from the point of view of this forum whoever is having problems with there area simply isn't trying hard enough, and therefore a topic worth jesting. I could give some more input on WHY i feel Vegas isn't exactly the best place for me, but its all relative to ethic i guess.

But anyways, the idea is that im moving back home to regroup and then im going to go "city shopping", and i was wondering if anyone could make suggestions on cities.
I can't recommend any, unless you want to move to the UK. What you can do however is research different cities on the internet to find out what scenes they have, how big they are, how many people are looking for musicans etc. before you commit to moving there. Choose some cities that you think you would like to live in regardless of the music scene, and then check them out.
Go to shows, it could be small clubs or big arenas go to a few and talk to people.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
You live in New York? I've been told that there's some small hick town in your state that is one of the biggest centers for music in the world and the home of thousands of bands and many record companies, but it's name is escaping me at the moment.
I think they have a team in the world series, but I can't be sure about that.
What sort of person moves from NY to LV then back again to consider a new place? That is a MASSIVE distance to travel just because you couldn't be bothered saving some money.

I've got a suggestion for your financial situation - get a job.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Are you serious man? Work up a following in your home state and the East Coast is your oyster when it comes time to tour.
wow. OP, um, i'm trying to think of a nice way to say you have your head shoved up your ass... you suffer from "cranial rectum expansion?" are you a lepper? seriously, is that why you can't find musicians in new york, because they're all affraid you're contagious and one day they'll wake up a quadrapolegic? do you refuse to bathe? i mean, do you, you know, smell like a butt or something? because i wouldn't want to jam with anyone who made me nausious either. are you a serial killer? is that it? you don't have trouble finding musicians, but everytime you do your alternate personality kicks in and slaughters your bandmates?

...i'm running out of legitimate excuses for not finding musicians in NY, or Vegas, LA... or anywhere else for that matter.

and it really was a shame to se Al's post go to waste.
LOL. Alan wins the internet. *Game Over.*

CT

PS. Alan.... check yr PM's!! Important message!
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I must say, I lol'ed at Alan.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't throw a dead cat in LV or LA and not hit a musician.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred