hey all,

i feel like a dumbass for asking this questions... but i'll play on jam tracks sometimes that are in the key of A, yet i play the minor pentatonic over it. Am I doing this wrong? Should I be playing the major pentatonic instead? I have yet to come across a jam track for blues that is in a minor key. I mean, i guess in theory a minor would have a relative major and i could just play that scale instead... I'm just worried that i'm playing with the wrong scale.

thanks
.Billy
blues has it's own scale, and it's a form of a minor scale.
so i should probably stop playing the minor penta over blues songs and focus on the blues scale a little more. i think i took the lazy approach a little early on and now i'm paying for it. thanks dude, i feel like an idiot.
dude the blues can just be a blue note added in to that minor pentatonic. Playing minor pentatonic over blues tracks is completely okay. And by the way, one the one hand it doesn't matter. If the notes sound good over the jam, then you are playing the right thing. Minor pentatonic is so common because all of the notes in that scale sound good with all the chords. But that being said, trying to find random notes that sound good doesn't really work while soloing so musicians use different scales to get different sounds. Just keep trying that minor pentatonic
no one is going to assault you for using the "wrong scale." as long as it sounds good, you should play whatever.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by winobot
hey all,

i feel like a dumbass for asking this questions... but i'll play on jam tracks sometimes that are in the key of A, yet i play the minor pentatonic over it. Am I doing this wrong? Should I be playing the major pentatonic instead? I have yet to come across a jam track for blues that is in a minor key. I mean, i guess in theory a minor would have a relative major and i could just play that scale instead... I'm just worried that i'm playing with the wrong scale.

thanks
.Billy

well if its a blues, minor pent will be fine because thats part of the whole blues sound. and obviously it will work over a minor blues as well.

if the song isnt a blues and is clearly a major key, then dont use the minor pent, use the major. also, dont be afraid to mix the two together in blues. its done a lot by many blues players.