Hi
I've never used one like a pedal, I have one in amp (boost switch), so is booster going to boost a signal if I use it in front of an amp, and I use amp distortion, not pedal distortion? I tried with my Boss MT-2 as booster and it did nothing.
My Band
ESP Eclipse II ACSB SD Jazz/JB
Bugera 6262 head
Benor 4x12 Celestion 12T-75
MT-2 is not a booster, it is a distortion pedal. If you use distortion on the amp, and an overdrive or clean boost in front it will boost the amp distortion...if it is a tube amp.
WTLTL 2011
and if it's a solid state amp? because this time we can't take our band amps with us, bud need a boost for solos or other things and i'm not quite sure if there's going to be tube amp or a solid state.
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
Quote by ebuprofen
and if it's a solid state amp? because this time we can't take our band amps with us, bud need a boost for solos or other things and i'm not quite sure if there's going to be tube amp or a solid state.

You can get some nasty clipping with a booster in front of a SS amp. I wouldn't recommend it.
WTLTL 2011
ok, thanks for clearing things
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
Quote by Mark G
You can get some nasty clipping with a booster in front of a SS amp. I wouldn't recommend it.

Depends on the amp. Sounds great in front of a Vox Valvetronix and Crate GX/Ampeg VH series amp.
Quote by imgooley
Depends on the amp. Sounds great in front of a Vox Valvetronix and Crate GX/Ampeg VH series amp.

True, some amps take it well. The OP doesn't know what SS amp he'll be getting though so I wouldn't take my chances

unless I misunderstood OP's situation ...
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
True, some amps take it well. The OP doesn't know what SS amp he'll be getting though so I wouldn't take my chances

unless I misunderstood OP's situation ...

It always depends on the amp.

And just using a boost to add volume/compression won't mud up the tone that much. Though I'd rather use an EQ for a boost if I didn't know what amp I was going to be using.
Quote by imgooley

And just using a boost to add volume/compression won't mud up the tone that much. Though I'd rather use an EQ for a boost if I didn't know what amp I was going to be using.

Yeah, I agree. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that I wouldn't rely on a boost functioning well not knowing in advance which SS amp you'd be getting.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by ebuprofen

Wait are you looking for this for just one gig? Or have I misunderstood this?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

no, not for one, for those gigs, that we can't take our amps (it happened several times, not often, but it does)
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
Ahh I'm with you now. How about a volume pedal? As far as I'm aware there aren't any problems with them and SS amps.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
Ahh I'm with you now. How about a volume pedal? As far as I'm aware there aren't any problems with them and SS amps.

a passive volume pedal only lowers the volume.
in my experience (and someone feel free to state otherwise), but boosters in front of your amp only seem to actually increase the volume on your clean channel. If you switch to your distortion channel and turn on the boost you'll only add more gain and not anymore volume. So if you plan on using the boost (or EQ) for your distortion channel, I recommend putting it in your effects loop.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
in my experience (and someone feel free to state otherwise), but boosters in front of your amp only seem to actually increase the volume on your clean channel. If you switch to your distortion channel and turn on the boost you'll only add more gain and not anymore volume. So if you plan on using the boost (or EQ) for your distortion channel, I recommend putting it in your effects loop.

It will depend on your amp the way it reacts to a boost.

where you place the boost in your chain depends on how you want to use the boost. if you want more gain out of you amps distortion channel then you put it in front of the amp. i think this is what the TS wants from it. putting the boost in the effects loop may drive the power tubes into clipping if it is a tube amp and some people don't like that.
Quote by joe_k
a passive volume pedal only lowers the volume.

Can't you set a base volume and work from there with the EB ones? So he could set the base volume at what he was using and work from there? I'm not too sure but I think I've heard that somewhere.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by joe_k
It will depend on your amp the way it reacts to a boost.

where you place the boost in your chain depends on how you want to use the boost. if you want more gain out of you amps distortion channel then you put it in front of the amp. i think this is what the TS wants from it. putting the boost in the effects loop may drive the power tubes into clipping if it is a tube amp and some people don't like that.

true. of course, that's if you set it up way too high. I use to run a boost into my JCM 900's effects loop (set at around 9 o'clock), and I got a pretty good volume boost. Just enough to cut through, and retain clarity. I scrapped it anyways, because using a boost in this fashion boots the ENTIRE signal. You just become louder and overpower everything else. A mid boost from an EQ pedal is better I think. But that's a bit off topic.

if TS wants to get more gain, why not get an overdrive pedal? That is unless he doesn't want to color his tone at all.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Sometimes, just for the sake of it, I run my SD1 into the Tubescreamer stompbox setting on my Vypyr, on the Rectifier model with bass 10, mids 9 and treble 8. It's noisy as all hell when not playing, but sounds awesome when playing.

Works much better into tube amps though.
Quote by imgooley

true, but it really depends more on the levels, and that translates into headroom, especially if you need a whole lotta' loud for an unmic'd gig. it doesn't matter if you're using a valvetronics or a cube or an mg. some will take pedals beter than others, sure, but once you max out the headroom on a ss amp and you reach hard clipping, yer dun sun.
Quote by GrisKy
true, but it really depends more on the levels, and that translates into headroom, especially if you need a whole lotta' loud for an unmic'd gig. it doesn't matter if you're using a valvetronics or a cube or an mg. some will take pedals beter than others, sure, but once you max out the headroom on a ss amp and you reach hard clipping, yer dun sun.

+1

Any solid state amp, no matter how well it takes pedals, will eventually reach transistor clipping when pushed hard enough.

Like he said, if you're at an unmic'd gig and need a lot of volume out of an SS amp you are already risking reaching that clipping stage without the boost. Add the boost and you're in for a world of horrid tone.
A lot of discussion I need it to boost the volume, not the gain (distortion) And the amps are Marshall and Crate, both SS, head+cabinet, models unknown (found out just now), so is the booster going to help me boost the volume for solos, when used in front of an amp and using amp distortion?
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
ebu, i'm a bit confused... you have a link to what i assume is your band, but you don't know what amps you use? and you asked again the same question we just answered. if your amp has the neccessary headroom to avoid hard clipping, yes, you can safely use a boost, either clean or OD depending on what you want. whatever, i get the vibe you're ignoring us anyways.
nonono you got it a bit wrong, I know what amp I use (Tech21 Trademark60), it's just this gig, where we can't take our amps and we haven't been informed correctly about the models of amps, so I'm a bit confused about the booster in front of an amp distortion and some say it's ok if it's tube amp and depends on a SS amp, so I guess I'll just have to try it this Friday and find out how it is
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
ok, i gotcha.

well, for everything others and i have said about headroom, which is true, it's also worth mentioning that with amps at a reasonable level it'll take some SERIOUS boosting to make a pedal push a ss past it's clean headroom. i mean like all dials set on "ten."

and likewise, we all know that you don't need to crank a pedal to "ten" to get good tones from it. in other words, i doubt you'll have trouble putting your OD or clean boost (also consier using an EQ) infront of the borrowed amps... unless they turn out to be like 15w MG's or something.

just give yourself plenty of time at sound check to make slight adjustments.
Quote by ebuprofen
A lot of discussion I need it to boost the volume, not the gain (distortion) And the amps are Marshall and Crate, both SS, head+cabinet, models unknown (found out just now), so is the booster going to help me boost the volume for solos, when used in front of an amp and using amp distortion?

I really suggest putting in your effects loop, and don't boost it too much or you'll just overpower everyone. If you put it in front of your amp and boost distortion channel, you won't get anymore volume, just more gain. It would be even better if you could use an EQ and boost your mids instead.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's