So a friend of mine asked me a question the other day that I didnt know the answer to, so I figured I would come here and ask cause there are some pretty smart people on here. So the question is this;

"If you have a tube amp and throw one of those tube driven OD/Distortion pedals in front of it, would it give you a sound similar to having a preamp section with another tube in it? Like higher more natural gain?"

I had no idea how to answer this because since the pedal has all of its own circuitry and everything it would seem that it wouldnt act like part of the preamp section, which is what I was assuming he meant. But I just honestly dont know and dont want to look like an ass by giving him some bad information...
I would consider it a seperate section. Granted, the effect would be the same as when integrating the circuitry into the amp head as a boost/distortion function.

Did I get the gist of it?
WTLTL 2011
So basically its a different type of circuit but emulates what it would sound like if it had an extra preamp valve?
Quote by music_mike
So basically its a different type of circuit but emulates what it would sound like if it had an extra preamp valve?

It depends. If it is a tube booster pedal you could consider it an extra gain stage. If it is a tube distortion pedal I would more consider it a seperate distortion channel. I'm not a tube techie though, this is how it makes sense in my head.
WTLTL 2011
well I know using a booster pedal pushes the preamp tubes harder and usually gives a pretty nice sound when doing so. But Im concerned about telling him its good and then him adding a tube OD/Dist pedal to his lead channel and it sounding like hell... lol
Quote by music_mike
well I know using a booster pedal pushes the preamp tubes harder and usually gives a pretty nice sound when doing so. But Im concerned about telling him its good and then him adding a tube OD/Dist pedal to his lead channel and it sounding like hell... lol

Does he like his distortion channel? Does he feel his distortion channel is tight enough/has enough gain?

If the answer to the first question is no, a distortion pedal or a new amp would be good. If the answer to the second question is no, an OD pedal might solve his problem.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by music_mike
The only way to know is to try. Lots of people use OD pedals in front of amps because they like the sound. It's not just overdriving the amp, it's cascading distortion. OD pedals have their own distortion tones. Boosting the signal naturally adds distortion as well. Just like turning up the gain knob or your guitar volume control.
Quote by Mark G
Does he like his distortion channel? Does he feel his distortion channel is tight enough/has enough gain?

If the answer to the first question is no, a distortion pedal or a new amp would be good. If the answer to the second question is no, an OD pedal might solve his problem.

Well I know he has a Vox AC15 and he said he just doesnt think it has enough gain naturally for what he wants. I suggested a Tube Screamer or something like that but he said that wasnt enough either, so I dont know exactly what he was wanting.

Quote by fly135
The only way to know is to try. Lots of people use OD pedals in front of amps because they like the sound. It's not just overdriving the amp, it's cascading distortion. OD pedals have their own distortion tones. Boosting the signal naturally adds distortion as well. Just like turning up the gain knob or your guitar volume control.

What do you mean "cascading distortion" like distortion flowing into a dirty preamp section just making it even more dirty and distorted? Me personally, I like the tone of his amp but he doesnt feel that its got enough umph I guess...
Quote by fly135

Its merely a cascading serial distortion.

When your signal goes into the pedal, it is distorted once. When that signal goes into the amp, the distorted signal is further shaped by the preamp section and the gain structure of the amp.

Having a tube pedal would be identical to having a solidstate pedal in this sense. The only thing different about it would then be that the signal is first impacted by tubes as compared to solidstate.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.