Poll: Do unseen colours exist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do unseen colours exist?
Yes
315 61%
No
119 23%
Undecided/I don't know
82 16%
Voters: 516.
Page 1 of 5
Try and think of a colour you've never seen before.
Can you do it?

No? I can't either.

Does anyone here believe that unseen colours exist, or does the human eye have the ability to see them all?

Discuss.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
ive thought about this many times
its interesting, the only reason you cant create another colour is because the humman mind isnt that good, we cant imagine anything brand new its all taken from things we know of and a new colour cant be taken from another colour
They exist, but we can't see them.

Due to not being able to see them, we cannot imagine them.

/thread
Yes they do. the human eye simply cannot pick them up
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
What if when you see blue other people actualy see that as green? How do you know that your perception of a colour is the same as everyone elses? MIND****
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Quote by Ripper_66
What if when you see blue other people actualy see that as green? How do you know that your perception of a colour is the same as everyone elses? MIND****

ive also though about this to
ultraviolet and infrared parts of the colour spctrum i think
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Everytime somebody ask me what my favorite color is I say "clear" just to mess with them.
But honestly, I think that's the only "color" that you can't really see(I suck at science so I know theres way more then that). The air in front of you, the color of a glass window, I refer to it as "clear", but really, what color would you label that as, if any?
Last edited by ArcadianWarrior at Oct 28, 2009,
How can we learn new colors, that we don't know about, we use nature as a reference.

Ah i don't know..
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Last edited by Nexium at Oct 28, 2009,
Yes. Except we call them fancy names like microwaves and infrared.
Quote by CoreysMonster
you've never opened a single physics book in your life, have you?
This.

stratkat
Quote by Ripper_66

That's very true. If people can be color blind, I don't see why this can't be a possibility.
Colors are just different spectrums of light. This being said infrared and gamma light rays are technically unseen "colors".
option 4: head explodes
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Colours don't exist, at all. It is simply the way your brain (not your eye) labels different wavelengths of light.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Child In Time
Yeah, fuck you!

+1

reading the OP made my head hurt....
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
Quote by CoreysMonster

As sound and light are both waves in matter or a vacuum, theoretically if you could keep adding octaves to the higher register of a piano, pressing a high enough key would produce visible light.

So I guess the question is whether there are "colours" - that is, categories - of electromagnetic radiation outside of the range of visible light.

The answer is ... Google.
Quote by ArcadianWarrior
Everytime somebody ask me what my favorite color is I say "clear" just to mess with them.
But honestly, I think that's the only "color" that you can't really see(I suck at science so I know theres way more then that). The air in front of you, the color of a glass window, I refer to it as "clear", but really, what color would you label that as, if any?

clear is basically the absense of an obstruction of light behind it while travelling to your eyes.
when you look through the window, light passes through it. it does not reflect light, thus it has no color.

Quote by blue_strat
As sound and light are both waves in matter or a vacuum, theoretically if you could keep adding octaves to the higher register of a piano, pressing a high enough key would produce visible light.

So I guess the question is whether there are "colours" - that is, categories - of electromagnetic radiation outside of the range of visible light.

I don't think this is possible, due to light being much more complex than the simple kinetic sonic wave. light travels both in waves and in particles simultaniously, so it's definately not the same as sound. and there is tons of low-frequency radiation around us, yet we cannot hear it, because our ears only hear kinetic waves, not electromagnetic or light waves.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat

Sound waves =/= EM radiation.

stratkat
Quote by blue_strat

As the poster above me said sound wave =/= EM wave. EM waves (which include light) are transverse waves of electric and magnetic fields

Whereas a soundwave is either a longitudinal wave of compressions and rarefactions of air..... or this guy

Clearly not the same
Maybe if u added octaves to the higher register of a piano and press a high enough key he might pop up though i dont recommend it.
Have you not heard of Ultraviolet and Infrared?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
bees can see UV rays

imagine what that must look like!!
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by Ripper_66

Yep. What a mindfuck.

Except that that's a concept that's introduced at the middle school level in physics.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Agreed. The ammount of lacking knowledge in this thread is making me scared.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by ArcadianWarrior

Transparency is NOT a colour
Of course I've looked in physics books before, don't be so foolish.

I asked the Pit, I wanted to hear you guys discuss it.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Colour is a frequency of light, so when we see a colour, anyone else will see it the same as it is the same frequency.

As for the ontopic issue, as for infrared and ultraviolet are colours that exist but aren't visible for the human eye.
This is my sig, isn't it

AWESOME?

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']I never understood Christianity.

A religion that is essentially based on stories about an invisible man that made the universe and a magic zombie that could walk on water and got nailed to a cross.
haha ive thought about new colors alot and im surprised other people have. just think about some alien civilization with some new colors. it would be so weird
Quote by OlivierF
Colour is a frequency of light, so when we see a colour, anyone else will see it the same as it is the same frequency.

As for the ontopic issue, as for infrared and ultraviolet are colours that exist but aren't visible for the human eye.
What about colour-blindness?

stratkat
Quote by blue_strat

Here is where you lose. Sound and light waves are different in far too many ways. Sound waves, like all mechanical waves, need a medium to travel through.

^@EuBoat

That's your brain's shortcoming. It's not changing the wave in any way.
Last edited by Avedas at Oct 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 5