ok guys i need a hand here. I'm in a metal band playing metalcore, melodic death, thrash and death metal primarily. looking to do shows soon. i have a 2x12 cab with celestion vintage 30's in it currently. right now i have a piece of shit peavey valveking 112 that i hate. i'm looking for a new head for metal. most i can go is about 1000 usd and definitely not more. right now my options are peavey 5150/6505, ibanez thermion (looks and seems badass on youtube vids....... havent heard much else about it though), and a traynor custom 100 head (which i hear is similar to a triple rec in most regards). i also have a good od pedal for boosting said amps. what should i buy? i know the 5150 is obviously good for what i need, but the other two each have attenuating options that would let me play it at lower volumes like my bedroom as well which would be a big time plus. anyone have any experience with these amps? i need help on this one since i wont get to try them all out. thanks!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
eh....

I'd grab that XXL and then maybe get a used Traynor head or flextone or Vypyr or something

Marshall JCM2000 TSL 60 head $900
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1435048716.html

Peavey XXL head $350
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/yrk/msg/1434268425.html

Is the sale of the Valveking head in the budget or no? I saw some really nice amps on craigslist but they were more in the $1,300 range.
ya the sale of the valveking is included. but thats in the 1000 lol. and i should have specified, im absolutely looking for a tube head.
bump' sorry guys i had to
Don't bump after 30 minutes. And I second the 3120/XXX suggestion.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you're thinking about a Thermion, you might want to step on it; I've heard it's being discontinued.

However, I've not heard one at all, so I can't say anything as to the sound quality.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
For that money you could also get a used ENGL e530 preamp and a Mesa poweramp....The Mesa 50:50 I have is 2x50 watt switchable to 2x15 watt. Hook up just one channel and that's a 15w amp.

Talk about attenuation. The e530 in itself also has a 1.5w poweramp technically capable of driving a cabinet, or headphones.
WTLTL 2011
^good suggestion Mark.

jordanzio - As you can see, I came up a bit short on the craigslist hunt. If you are no where near Toronto then that doesn't help. I'm not sure how the Traynor YCS80 or whatever work for you. I'd love to know. Can you go play some amps somewhere?

I know the XXL is not a tube amp but damn it can cover some ground. That would leave you with $650. If you strait up want a tube head NEW the 3120 should fit the bill nicely and sound killer through your 212. They are $999 here in the US. They used to come with a free (cheap) Peavey cab. If you want all kinds of tones in a box, do not discount the Vypyr 120 head. It has an all tube power section and pretty slick transtube type preamp.

I would recommend the Bugeras but I'm still not comfortable after continually hearing about reliability issues. Another head to look for new would be a B52 ATX100 head. Nice.
ive checked out the engl preamp there.........just didn't seem to be all it is cracked up to be, id rather just have a good head and leave it at that. the 3120 is an option for sure, but i know its the old xx basically which are notoriously raspy and shrill, more of a thrash-only scooped sound that might not be what i want? (correct me on this if im wrong). the 6505 is down to 999 on musiciansfriend, and thats probably the amp i want most, except i havent heard the thermion and it looks awesome, and the traynor custom h100 is around the same price and seems to be pretty awesome too, although i don't know if a dual rec is the tone i'm after really........
Good luck finding an Ibanez Thermion. I don't think they're available anymore, not sure about the used market tho.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by jordanzio
ive checked out the engl preamp there.........just didn't seem to be all it is cracked up to be, id rather just have a good head and leave it at that. the 3120 is an option for sure, but i know its the old xx basically which are notoriously raspy and shrill, more of a thrash-only scooped sound that might not be what i want? (correct me on this if im wrong). the 6505 is down to 999 on musiciansfriend, and thats probably the amp i want most, except i havent heard the thermion and it looks awesome, and the traynor custom h100 is around the same price and seems to be pretty awesome too, although i don't know if a dual rec is the tone i'm after really........

The big difference with the 3120 is that it is the next gen of the XXX but with EL34 power tubes that are perfect for mids. Lots of guys have swapped out their tubes in the XXX for EL34s for that reason. If you could find an XXX head and do that you'd be in business me thinks.

The 6505+ is what it is and what it does it does well. Look used too.

Ibanez - use the link in my sig to find gear.

Traynor, is this the Triple Threat amp? I keep hearing about it. Have not really dove in. Generally, I'm a big fan of Traynor. Love their amps.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The big difference with the 3120 is that it is the next gen of the XXX but with EL34 power tubes that are perfect for mids. Lots of guys have swapped out their tubes in the XXX for EL34s for that reason. If you could find an XXX head and do that you'd be in business me thinks.

The 6505+ is what it is and what it does it does well. Look used too.

Ibanez - use the link in my sig to find gear.

Traynor, is this the Triple Threat amp? I keep hearing about it. Have not really dove in. Generally, I'm a big fan of Traynor. Love their amps.

that's probably the traynor you have heard about. its supposed to be a triple rectifier from what i have heard. heres a link to it

http://www.music123.com/Traynor-Custom-Special-100H-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head-481158-i1176534.Music123
^yeah, I'm pretty interested in that amp. What they have been successful so far in is making an amp that has that Marshall roar on the dirt channel and have nice seriously Fenderey cleans on the clean channel.

Therefore, if they are going after the Rec with this one I need to find one to play. Obviously keep us posted here.