I have an Alvarez acoustic guitar (full acoustic, not acoustic/electric). I would like to add a pickup/pickups to it and allow it to plug into an amp. I have a few questions:

1) The guitar has a hole at the bottom of the guitar where a plastic end pin is placed in to hold the strap (obviously). I can take it out and the hole is about 1/4 inch big. I realize that I will need to buy an end pin jack to put in it. Now here's my question: Do the sizes of end pin jacks that are selling vary? As I said, my guitar's hole is about 1/4 inch, and I just want to make sure that if I buy an end pin jack, it will be compatible with my guitar. I DO NOT want to drill an extra hole in the guitar, especially considering it had that hole already since I've had it and if I could just add an end pin jack, it would be very convenient.

2) I've noticed that there are mono, as well as stereo end pin jacks. What type would I want for my acoustic? What are the benefits of each? I realize that the placement of the pickup will affect the tone of the amplified guitar, and I was considering placing two pickups in the sound-hole: one at the bridge end and one at the neck end. If I wanted two pickups, which I could switch between (or combine), would I need the stereo end pin jack?

3) What are good pickups for an acoustic? I'm trying to get one that can be put on the soundhole, and possibly two (one for the neck and one near the bridge).

Thats all right now thanks for any help u can provide =)
get a piezo or a clip on pickup instead?
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
1- if it's exactly 1/4", you'll need to make the hole bigger. no harm will come of this, provided you can use a battery-powered hand drill. iirc standard jack hole size is 3/8".

2- mono is just that. mono. Stereo jacks are used to switch on a battery for preamp systems (like if you used a piezo pup system). a soundhole pup is just gonna require a mono jack.

3- there's only space for 1 pup in a soundhole. this is because you only NEED 1 pup. if you want seperate" bridge" and "neck" sounds, get an electric.
Quote by Invader Jim
1- if it's exactly 1/4", you'll need to make the hole bigger. no harm will come of this, provided you can use a battery-powered hand drill. iirc standard jack hole size is 3/8".

2- mono is just that. mono. Stereo jacks are used to switch on a battery for preamp systems (like if you used a piezo pup system). a soundhole pup is just gonna require a mono jack.

3- there's only space for 1 pup in a soundhole. this is because you only NEED 1 pup. if you want seperate" bridge" and "neck" sounds, get an electric.

1- it's actually slightly bigger than 1/4", judging by inserting a 1/4" guitar chord in it. Is it safe to assume that it is, indeed, 3/8"?

2- would you suggest a piezo pup system with preamp? I don't really know what I should get =(

3- ok cool

what pick up do you think I should get? I would prefer one that picks up higher frequencies very well.
My favorite systems combine a microphone mounted inside the guitar and a piezo, with a blend control to mix the two. I would not recommend mounting a pickup in the soundhole. They get in the way of your hand, especially if you gravitate toward percussive styles.

For the jack, get an endpin/jack combo, like so. I am suggesting a stereo jack because you can wire it to use a battery or not, whichever you choose.
It is not safe to assume the hole is 3/8". It is safe to put a ruler on it and measure it.
Quote by cedricsmods
My favorite systems combine a microphone mounted inside the guitar and a piezo, with a blend control to mix the two. I would not recommend mounting a pickup in the soundhole. They get in the way of your hand, especially if you gravitate toward percussive styles.

For the jack, get an endpin/jack combo, like so. I am suggesting a stereo jack because you can wire it to use a battery or not, whichever you choose.
It is not safe to assume the hole is 3/8". It is safe to put a ruler on it and measure it.

Thanks, I was afraid a pickup mounted on the soundhole would get in the way, as I do play in such that way. Thanks for the suggestion about the stereo jack, I will definitely get a stereo, I would MUCH prefer a stereo that I can optionally change later, if I decide to wire it with a battery and preamp. Anyways, thanks for the link to where I can find a jack. Any chance I could get a link/links to an appropriate piezo and/or piezo/mic setup? Also, would I need much experience to successfully set up a mic/piezo combo? I've not done much in terms of modifying musical instruments. But I do like the idea of a mic/pickup combo that would allow for versitile tone.
Given the wide range of quality and price of Alvarez guitars, I think it's important that we know the model of your guitar. That way we can better suggest what type of pickup system to put in your guitar. No sense putting a $250 preamp and pickup in a $250 guitar, right?

Also, you may find it more economically efficient to purchase a separate acoustic electric.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
In the acoustic world stereo jacks are typically used for mixing soundhole pickups and peizo pickups. Peizo pickups need a different preamp than soundhole pickups which is why you need a stereo amp.

If you are playing into an electric amp then you will want to get a magnetic soundhole pickup of some description. If you are plugging into a PA or acoustic amp then I'd go with a sound board transducer. A soundboard transducer is like a little peizo mic that is stuck to your guitars bridgeplate with double sided tape and then runs to a preamp that is built into the jack at the end of the guitar. This means you don't need to buy a separate jack! My favorite soundboard transducer is the one by b band but I realy like the LR Baggs I beam too.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Musicman48858
Given the wide range of quality and price of Alvarez guitars, I think it's important that we know the model of your guitar. That way we can better suggest what type of pickup system to put in your guitar. No sense putting a $250 preamp and pickup in a $250 guitar, right?

Also, you may find it more economically efficient to purchase a separate acoustic electric.

No idea what the model is. It was bought by my mother over 20 years ago and she has been playing it since she got it. It sounds great, and tbh, I don't care what the model is. She paid about $300 for it, but that was 20 years ago. Account for the change in the value of the dollar =) And thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not interested in purchasing another guitar, nor am I interested in an Acoustic/Electric. It seems that it is impossible to find an Acoustic/Electric that doesn't have a cutaway. =(

Quote by CorduroyEW
In the acoustic world stereo jacks are typically used for mixing soundhole pickups and peizo pickups. Peizo pickups need a different preamp than soundhole pickups which is why you need a stereo amp.

If you are playing into an electric amp then you will want to get a magnetic soundhole pickup of some description. If you are plugging into a PA or acoustic amp then I'd go with a sound board transducer. A soundboard transducer is like a little peizo mic that is stuck to your guitars bridgeplate with double sided tape and then runs to a preamp that is built into the jack at the end of the guitar. This means you don't need to buy a separate jack! My favorite soundboard transducer is the one by b band but I realy like the LR Baggs I beam too.

Well, all I have (right now) is an electric amp (Fender Hotrodd Deluxe), so I would be playing it through that until I save up to buy an acoustic amp, which was my plan to use all along. I was planning on buying a used Fender Acoustisonic of some type =) Hmm the soundboard transducer sounds interesting, but does it really give a good sound by putting it at the bridge like that?
How much are clip-on pickups going for? Can only find some on Ebay, would like a brand name to be honest!
I agree with Cord, the B-Band one sounds fantastic! However, I would get it professionally installed. The bridge transducer business needs some finesse.

However, since you'll be playing through an electric guitar amp, I would recommend getting something similar to the Seymour Duncan Woody, Fishman Neo D, or the LR Baggs one.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I agree with Cord, the B-Band one sounds fantastic! However, I would get it professionally installed. The bridge transducer business needs some finesse.

However, since you'll be playing through an electric guitar amp, I would recommend getting something similar to the Seymour Duncan Woody, Fishman Neo D, or the LR Baggs one.

No, moron.