Page 1 of 2
I was storing something metal inside my guitar amp for a while. I played the amp while it was still in there. When i went to take out the metal thing it was stuck to the speaker like a magnet. Now wen i play sometimes the volume will uncontrollably lower then go back to normal volume and it is extremely fuzzy. Is this cause by putting the metal object inside my amp, will this stop, and is there anything i can do to fix it?

I know I'm really stupid...

Thanks in advance.
It's Cadillac rainbows and lots of spaghetti
And I love meatballs so you better be ready
Umm... And why were you using your amp as a storage compartment?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
What was the metal thing?

Im gonna regret asking that.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Its a good spot to put things as long as there not metal and break your amp.
i did that to my amp too! i left my footswitch in the back of my Fender Frontman
and it got stuck on the speakers. that amp is broken now. :0

EDIT: whenever i turn it on it makes a crackling noise and it's scary. D:
wham, bam, thank you ma'am!
Well metal things will stick to your speaker like a magnet, because it has a big magnet on it... Second, if something just screwed your speaker, then you're speaker is just shot not the whole amp. So a speaker swap could correct it. But dont ever store something in your amp. Its not a bloody catch all man, its an amp.

But just putting something metal inside the speaker area isnt going to screw your amp up. I have a metal reverb tank in mine and its fine. It sounds like maybe you screwed up the magnetic field on your speaker or knocked one of the wires loose?
Quote by DunnySun
i did that to my amp too! i left my footswitch in the back of my Fender Frontman
and it got stuck on the speakers. that amp is broken now. :0

EDIT: whenever i turn it on it makes a crackling noise and it's scary. D:

So theres nothing i can do to fix it?
Quote by megathrash00
If you have to know it was a grinder.

I normally dont like to make fun of other peoples misfortune, but maybe next time you'll be smart enough to not use your damn amp as a toolbox... Which that is an odd choice of words, considering your amp is a box and you are apparently a tool...
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
get a new speaker!

I guess im gunna have to do that. I was hoping there would be something else i could do.

sooo, does anyone know a good speaker i should put in.

btw its a Vox ad15vt
Quote by megathrash00
Clever, but it was the type of grinder your thinking of. Its used to grind up stuff thats not exactly legal, so I threw it and all of the other stuff that goes with it in my amp so people dont see it.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx

My sentiments exactly...

How about this TS, if you're actually serious about your music quit being a stereotypical pot smoking douche who get stoned all the time and plays old Phish songs on guitar to try and get laid and maybe dumb shit like this wouldnt happen... Immaturity is not your friend.
Quote by megathrash00
Clever, but it was the type of grinder your thinking of. Its used to grind up stuff thats not exactly legal, so I threw it and all of the other stuff that goes with it in my amp so people dont see it.

Oddly enough, whenever I read "grinder" I instantly thought of cocaine...

A new speaker may do the trick. I don't see how you could have ruined anything inside the amp simply by storing something in be "cab" section.

Quote by music_mike
My sentiments exactly...

How about this TS, if you're actually serious about your music quit being a stereotypical pot smoking douche who get stoned all the time and plays old Phish songs on guitar to try and get laid and maybe dumb shit like this wouldnt happen... Immaturity is not your friend.

The TS may not be the brightest bulb on the tree (no offense, TS) but that doesn't give you the right to speak to him like this!

Reported
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Oct 28, 2009,
1 - make sure both wires are securely attached to the speaker. It should have two going to it.
2 - it's possible that something punctured the cone, tho the issue doesn't sound like it.
3 - i've never heard of a magnet "going bad" but hey - anything is possible I suppose.
Dude I dont care if you report me. The kid needs to grow up. You have to be about stoned half to death to think that a speaker has "ruined your amp" or be 13. In either case its plain retarded. Its idiocy like that that gives guitar players bad images for being drug addicted idiots.
I think he was stoned, not retarded.

Just check the damn speaker wire TS, it probably got knocked screwey or pinched a couple hits while you were jamming.
Thanks gregs1020, I'll check it out.
Quote by megathrash00
I came here seeing if there was a way to fix my amp, not to hear you make ignorant comments. I am far from a "stereotypical pot smoking douche" and there is nothing wrong with Phish; which is not the only music I play by the way. You're making yourself look like a "douche" by placing me in your stereotypes. If you were at all educated about marijuana, you would know that those generalizations are false and there are many responsible members of society that enjoy the herb.

And several people have given you several suggestions of things to do to try fixing your amp. Yet you just seem to ignore them.

And theres an old expression, "If the shoe fits, wear it." I know Im an ass hole, especially about things that mean alot to me, like music. And I apologize for being an ass, but I despise people who treat music like a joke and act as if it doesnt truly matter. All I see in your posts from the one saying it was a pot grinder on, is you using pot as an excuse for doing something ignorant. Thats what Im most pissed about, your blatant mockery of music.
Quote by music_mike
Dude I dont care if you report me. The kid needs to grow up. You have to be about stoned half to death to think that a speaker has "ruined your amp" or be 13. In either case its plain retarded. Its idiocy like that that gives guitar players bad images for being drug addicted idiots.

Maybe you're unaware of this but not everybody is a gear genius like yourself

To someone who doesn't know any technical aspects about gear a damaged speaker may mean the amp is ruined in their mind.

Quote by music_mike
And several people have given you several suggestions of things to do to try fixing your amp. Yet you just seem to ignore them.

And theres an old expression, "If the shoe fits, wear it." I know Im an ass hole, especially about things that mean alot to me, like music. And I apologize for being an ass, but I despise people who treat music like a joke and act as if it doesnt truly matter. All I see in your posts from the one saying it was a pot grinder on, is you using pot as an excuse for doing something ignorant. Thats what Im most pissed about, your blatant mockery of music.

Seriously?? So you're saying that people like the Beatles, Hendrix, Aerosmith, (the list goes on and on and on) made a blatant mockery of music because they all used drugs and did stupid things, too!? Dude if you can't be accepting of other people's lifestyles and how they view music then you should just get off UG now.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead

To someone who doesn't know any technical aspects about gear a damaged speaker may mean the amp is ruined in their mind.

I once threw out an amp because of a faulty switch. How's that for ignorant?

So TS - got that speaker reconnected yet? and you're welcome.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Maybe you're unaware of this but not everybody is a gear genius like yourself

I never said I was a gear genius, and I dont claim to be. I just dont like guitar players who do stupid shit. It gives guitar players a bad stigma and its annoying.
Quote by music_mike

Or you could actually not be that knowledgeable about amps. If you step down from your podium above the rest of the world you would realize that not everyone is as all knowing as you are.

Lay off the guy for cryin' out loud, it's his lifestyle choice let him do it if he wants to & how the hell do you know that he is mocking music!? Have you ever heard of Pink Floyd? The majority of their early stuff was written when extremely high. Queens of the stone age? Exactly the same. Nirvana? These band names ringing any bells? Guns 'N Roses?

TS, It does sound like you have just done something to the speaker which if so is no real problem you'll just have to replace it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by music_mike

Good post, but I resent that 13 comment - why do you have to compare ME to HIM???
This is just turning in to a mess.

*reported*
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Im briefly checked out the wiring but i have other things i need to do right now so im gunna take a look at it again tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who gave me advise and defended me.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by megathrash00
Im briefly checked out the wiring but i have other things i need to do right now so im gunna take a look at it again tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who gave me advise and defended me.

Friend. Don't start a thread like this and retire for the evening an hour later.

My guess is either a tube got loose or a speaker wire got disconnected or maybe some interference got on your magnet. Thing.

Quote by megathrash00
Im sick of all the disrespect and generalizations about using weed.

just to be perfectly clear, i could give a s*** if you buttf*** goats and eat nothing but fried penis and hash. on a personal level, i don't care if you swim in a pool full of blow and chop people into little pieces as a weekend hobby.

that doesn't mean i have to respect anything about you. respect is earned.

and yes, your busted amp is a direct result of your habit. otherwise, why would you even have a grinder, and why would you be trying to hide it?

as far as your speaker goes, sounds like a problem with your magnet, and it's very possible for magnets to lose their charge when in contact with a balanced metalic object for an extended period of time. such is the nature of electrons on a magnatized surface, and you might've noticed the slightest magnetic charge on your grinder immediately after pulling it from your speaker... pick up a physics textbook sometime.

this thread should'a been titled, "busted amp is my anti-drug."

oh, and that comment about the speaker bumpin' a couple drags... f***in' hilarious!

don't forget to bring a speaker!
hehe, speaker, you're the worst speaker ever.

Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
don't forget to bring a speaker!
hehe, speaker, you're the worst speaker ever.

For some reason, I lol'd at this
OK so normally in UG if you come with a question about how to fix your amp you get: "You need a new amp." Now UG has come to: "You need a new sense of morality."

Come the **** on guys. If you want to berate each others life choices, go to the pit. Here in GG&A we talk about gear. He had a question about gear, not drugs. Let's answer his question and keep moving.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
hmmm... looks like your sense of morality's loose... yeah i could fix it, but you're lookin at a couple bills on labor, 'bout a grand on parts. but hey, i can take a look at that busted speaker while i'm at it!
Quote by GrisKy
hmmm... looks like your sense of morality's loose... yeah i could fix it, but you're lookin at a couple bills on labor, 'bout a grand on parts. but hey, i can take a look at that busted speaker while i'm at it!

Haha, I'm not sure what you're doing here, but it made me laugh.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Oddly enough, whenever I read "grinder" I instantly thought of cocaine...

I figured it was a weed grinder. I keep mine in my cigar box with my hash, blunt wraps, and miniature naked chicks.
Quote by MetalHead916
I figured it was a weed grinder. I keep mine in my cigar box with my hash, blunt wraps, and miniature naked chicks.

While I don't like them bashing people for it, that doesn't mean you should blatantly endorse it. This isn't the pit.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by MetalHead916

???
i've known a few cuubana shortyz who were on the slighter side of stature, but i wouldn't have called 'em "miniature," and they sure as fuk wouldn't have fit in a cigar box. where'd u find 'em?
Quote by MetalHead916

at least its not on you amp for christ sake
this thread makes me lolz
im sure the problem has been solved by another user, so ill side with gregs on this one. he is right

oh and
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Did ya save the WEED.........if so i'll be by to help fix the amp
Quote by mmjohn
Did ya save the WEED.........if so i'll be by to help fix the amp

Or lock you up...

He's a cop.
Quote by Cathbard