K so I was jamming today, and after about 11oclock the master volume doesnt really make it any louder, any ideas why?
After a certain volume, increasing the volume on tube amps only adds more power amp distortion.

Volume and gain changes on tube amps don't respond like changes on solidstates.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
After a certain volume, increasing the volume on tube amps only adds more power amp distortion.

Volume and gain changes on tube amps don't respond like changes on solidstates.

This. The volume increase isn't linear on tube amps.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
This. The volume increase isn't linear on tube amps.

It's algorithmic.

Still, I'm quite surprised that the headroom caps in at 11 o'clock. I'm certain you should be able to get it up to at least 1 to 2 o'clock (if not at least 12 o'clock) before the power tubes fully saturate.

How much gain were you dialing in?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Thats what I thoughr. My gain is maybe 1 or 2o'clock. I didn't think that was a whole lot of gain considering I'm just over half.

Edit: I'm jamming with a guy whos using a Duel Rec, and hes not being a jerk with the volume like alot of guitar players are. And I'm still getting killed volume wise.
By right the Single and Dual Rectos are able to hit fairly equal levels of volume. The Dual Recto is probably just slightly louder than the Single.

For the Single Recto, a gain level of 1 or 2 o'clock is fairly high. Also, have you checked your tubes? Lowering of volume is a fairly common issue when tubes are old or are going.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by McLeod
The power tubes are new, the preamps might need replacing.

Might... but unlikely...

How old is the phase inverter? If that one's old... try replacing it first.

Volume is "controlled" by your power section. The preamp section will impact how your tone is shaped, it'll have less impact on your volume. If you find your tone getting dull or brittle, then you'll probably need to change your preamp tubes.

In terms of tubes, the only thing I can think of is that your phase inverter is not splitting the sine signal into the negative and positive sections effectively. Although typically, the phase inverter will last longer than your preamp tubes.

Now, are you being drowned out by the dual recto... or is it a case where you find you're not cutting through the mix?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 29, 2009,
I'm being drowned out like I can't hear myself over it unless my ear is close to the cab, which is never good. Thanks for all the input so far. I figured it couldnt be preamp tubes for volume.
hmmm

I'm stumped.

As a desperate last ditch attempt...

Is your guitar's tone knob turned down?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I actually kinda wish it was. I'm gonna try replacing the preamp tubes, who knows might do something right? thanks for all the help regardless.
Quote by McLeod
I actually kinda wish it was. I'm gonna try replacing the preamp tubes, who knows might do something right? thanks for all the help regardless.

Hopefully,

I have a few other possible ideas of what might be wrong, but unless I'm actually in front of the amp, I'm not even sure how to check what's at fault.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )