Well X-mas is coming up fast and im looking for a new guitar and amp.

I have decided to go with a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo when its out

My guitar choices

Ibanez E-gen - No ignorant Herman-li comments please

Esp Horizon II with emgs

I play Everything from Bonjovi to Children of bodom to dragonforce to Vai to Orianthi and some metal core

Which would be the best choice i will consider other guitars.
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
Last edited by sgany at Oct 28, 2009,
I actually fancy the Egen. The Purple with gold hardware is pretty good looking :]. However, I don't like his version of the monkey grip and I've heard that the trem that's on it isn't that good, but don't quote me on that. I haven't played ESPs, they don't stock em at my local store. I have played the Egen, and thought for an Ibanez it played pretty well, the pickup options were cool, but I might've changed the pickups if I owned it.
The Edge Zero is great. But the EGEN18 is just an S5470 with some of Herman's personal touches. Keep that in mind. Great guitar, but you're not getting much above the S. I would still pick it though since it's a sexy beast.
Quote by JELIFISH19
The Edge Zero is great. But the EGEN18 is just an S5470 with some of Herman's personal touches. Keep that in mind. Great guitar, but you're not getting much above the S.

Yea but i like the pickups on the e-gens better and i personally like the colours more

Im surprised noone has mentioned that fact that your parents must be loaded if you are getting a Peavey 6505+ and an ESP for Christmas. I wish when I was a kid my parents bought me that kinda stuff.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
Im surprised noone has mentioned that fact that your parents must be loaded if you are getting a Peavey 6505+ and an ESP for Christmas. I wish when I was a kid my parents bought me that kinda stuff.

nah im putting a grand into the guitar myself

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
you won't get the versatility you want from active pups
The Egen might be ok though!

I was thinking that because of the way herman-li would go from deep rift to amazing cleans

With those prices, I'd suggest either a new USA Jackson Dinky or a used Jackson Soloist. They are both super strats.

I've played the Horizon, and from my experience with it, I feel that it is a very well balanced guitar, that plays rather nicely. As for build quality, I was a bit taken aback by the lack of a "solid" feel with the instrument compared to a Jackson, but otherwise I was very happy.

Tone wise, I would try to avoid the EMGs in this price range. They make an expensive instrument sound like all the other guitars with EMGs, and let the nuance of the high quality woods slip by, but that is another thread for another day.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I'm generally against active pickups unless you really know what you're doing with them, how they should be used and how to set your rig up for them.

With that out of the way, I'd say the ESP. You've already got an ESP guitar I see, so you know you'll be used to the neck. Additionally I have found, without exception, ESP guitars to be built to a higher standard than the equivalent Ibanez guitars int he same price brackets. I can't say I have any experience with the specific Ibanez you've listed, but I have used the ESP H-II a few times and they've always really impressed me, the second I come across one here without a Floyd, I'm buying it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'm generally against active pickups unless you really know what you're doing with them, how they should be used and how to set your rig up for them.

With that out of the way, I'd say the ESP. You've already got an ESP guitar I see, so you know you'll be used to the neck. Additionally I have found, without exception, ESP guitars to be built to a higher standard than the equivalent Ibanez guitars int he same price brackets. I can't say I have any experience with the specific Ibanez you've listed, but I have used the ESP H-II a few times and they've always really impressed me, the second I come across one here without a Floyd, I'm buying it.

So how exactly would i achieve this as it would be guitar > wah pedal > amp

Quote by Richmanofaction
With those prices, I'd suggest either a new USA Jackson Dinky or a used Jackson Soloist. They are both super strats.

I've played the Horizon, and from my experience with it, I feel that it is a very well balanced guitar, that plays rather nicely. As for build quality, I was a bit taken aback by the lack of a "solid" feel with the instrument compared to a Jackson, but otherwise I was very happy.

Tone wise, I would try to avoid the EMGs in this price range. They make an expensive instrument sound like all the other guitars with EMGs, and let the nuance of the high quality woods slip by, but that is another thread for another day.

Looking on thomann all the dinkys/soloists seem to have emgs could you point me to one that doesn't?

ps i'm a big fan of your videos

Quote by MrFlibble

Good job on trying to sound smart

No but seriously, it's not rocket science. Active pickups are just pickups with a built-in preamp. You don't need some sort of special rig and they're used just like any other pickups. Guitar > Effects > Amp. Sure, they sound better with tube amps, but apart from that there's nothing else you need to worry about.

EDIT: But yeah it's true that EMG's sound the same on all guitars so stick to passives.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by falconthefirst
Good job on trying to sound smart

No but seriously, it's not rocket science. Active pickups are just pickups with a built-in preamp. You don't need some sort of special rig and they're used just like any other pickups. Guitar > Effects > Amp. Sure, they sound better with tube amps, but apart from that there's nothing else you need to worry about.

EDIT: But yeah it's true that EMG's sound the same on all guitars so stick to passives.

Thats why im leaning towards the egen seems extremely versital

Quote by sgany
Looking on thomann all the dinkys/soloists seem to have emgs could you point me to one that doesn't?

ps i'm a big fan of your videos

Always nice to help a fan!

Here is a DK2 with passive Duncans- http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Dinky-Body&page=1&product=2911000803

Its made in Japan, but from experience with these guitars they are exceptionally well built. The USA DK1 has active EMGs in it.

As for the Soloist, all of the soloists with the exception of the Japanese made SL3MG's come with Seymour Duncan pups.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Soloist-Body

EMGs are not a bad thing in a guitar, the thing is however if you're going to be spending over 1000 bucks on a guitar, you want the high quality materials to be brought out by the pups. EMGs sound similar in any guitar they are in. So a 400 dollar guitar with EMGs will sound similar to a 2000 dollar guitar with EMGs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page09_jp.php?&data_id=51&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=191
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page09_jp.php?&data_id=52&color=CL03&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=191
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page09_jp.php?&data_id=53&color=CL02&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=191
You should also consider these. They're less than the EGEN18 in the states but they're higher quality. They also have similar specs. Higher quality than the ESP Horizon but more expensive. But ebay may be the only way to get one as they're only sold in Japan.
Quote by JELIFISH19
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page09_jp.php?&data_id=51&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=191
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page09_jp.php?&data_id=52&color=CL03&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=191
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page09_jp.php?&data_id=53&color=CL02&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=191
You should also consider these. They're less than the EGEN18 in the states but they're higher quality. They also have similar specs. Higher quality than the ESP Horizon but more expensive. But ebay may be the only way to get one as they're only sold in Japan.

i jizzed.......i will consider the RG8570Z

Ok i believe im going with the RG8570Z

Thanks for the advice guys

also am i choosing the right amp if not any suggestions?

It depends on what you want. No one really knows since the 6505 isn't even out yet. Plus, I find it hard to believe that a $600 can live up to the name. It has the same speaker as the 6505 combos have and it's a 6505+ head, both of which cost twice as much as the combo. I'm a bit weary since amp prices generally reflect components and quality rather than labor. 6505s are already on the bottom end of the high-gain amp spectrum in terms of price. But we'll see. Try it out when it comes out. Don't go by reviews since I'm pretty sure it will please a lot of people by default just because it's a $600 tube combo.