Poll Options
View poll results: asdf
Yes
47 37%
No
79 63%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 2
Imagine you were given the worst tone possible (worst being a personal thing, it'd be different for everyone I assume). However, with that tone, you will receive the greatest guitar playing ability you've ever heard/seen. Those skills can only be played on the shit sounding tone, and you cannot change the tone.

Would you do it?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by Donny
Hm.

Depends on whether I would become famous with said poo-y tone.

If I never get out of my garage, at least I'll be happy with my awesome skills and no one will hear my shit tone.
yes.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by skaterskagg1
If I never get out of my garage, at least I'll be happy with my awesome skills and no one will hear my shit tone.

Lame.

Why would I choose a tone that I can't stand if it's not going to do me any good?
Van Halen with a First Act guitar from Wal-Mart will sound better than a noob with a Les Paul ANYDAY.
No. I've seen a video of Malmsteen playing on a shitty amp (some metal fender or something like that). It was awful!
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
No. I've seen a video of Malmsteen playing on a shitty amp (some metal fender or something like that). It was awful!

But he's awful anyway......
Quote by LegendarySpork
All that'd be good for is showing off which I'm adamantly against. So no thanks.

lolwut? having immaculate technique is only good for showing off?
derrrrrrr
Quote by MedicreDemon
But he's a god....

I agree.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik

just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by TV-Casualty
lolwut? having immaculate technique is only good for showing off?
derrrrrrr

With crappy tone it really wouldn't be useful for playing songs. They'd sound like utter shit.

I'd rather refine my technique myself, and have a badass tone.

Preferably Steven Wilson's tone.
I think I'll be able to live with the skills I have now.

But then again, if you have the greatest technique ever, it's possible you can make the tone work.
Quote by sk8board3r

You can argue that his music is crap (though it's a matter of preference). You can't argue that his technique is great.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Having the worst tone ever would be unique.
Unique things have style, therefore I would have technique, tone and style.

I've always thought: There is no bad idea for the right mind.
Applied: There is no bad tone for the right ears.
Quote by LegendarySpork
With crappy tone it really wouldn't be useful for playing songs. They'd sound like utter shit.

bad tone is a completely subjective issue. someone is bound to like your tone no matter what. having a strange tone could set you apart from other musicians in a good way as well.
Quote by 20cdndollars
(Invalid img)

No.

I was gonna go with Wylde and his crushing overdrive, but that's slammin' too.

That coming from a guy that loves Wylde and BLS.
Quote by pwrmax
Van Halen with a First Act guitar from Wal-Mart will sound better than a noob with a Les Paul ANYDAY.

One, "Les Paul" is a very broad term. An Epiphone Les Paul 100 reads that slot and is a terrible guitar.
Two, amp mention is essential. With the right amp, any guitar can have it's tone vastly improved.
Three, EVH wouldn't be caught dead playing said guitar.

My personal opinion, tone> technique anyday. Great tone provides motivation to develop great technique.
nah...I'd rather be given awesome tone and crappy technique, and since I already have crappy technique, I'd just be receiving awesome tone.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I'd like to believe I have pretty good technique, but I would rather have the amazing tone I'm still looking for than perfect technique.

Besides, if I had perfect technique, I wouldn't really want to play guitar anymore. It takes away from the whole point of playing, which is to progress. (at least for me)
Quote by Progis8strings
One, "Les Paul" is a very broad term. An Epiphone Les Paul 100 reads that slot and is a terrible guitar.
Two, amp mention is essential. With the right amp, any guitar can have it's tone vastly improved.
Three, EVH wouldn't be caught dead playing said guitar.

My personal opinion, tone> technique anyday. Great tone provides motivation to develop great technique.

You can assume an original Gibson Les Paul with a Marshall JCM800. And when I say First Act guitar from Wal-Mart, I mean with the amp that comes with it. Great tone does provide motivation, but a broke kid with a terrible guitar with great passion for the instrument will have more motivation any day.
Quote by urik
You can argue that his music is crap (though it's a matter of preference). You can't argue that his technique is great.

Yeah, he actually is very talented. i just think hes a bit of a douchebag
just give me a fender and let me rip
I would much prefer simple powerchording with an amazing tone than amazing complex sweeps that make my ears bleed in every possible bad way.

Also, making a bad tone work or fit is basically having a good tone in the context.
Quote by Fiire
Having the worst tone ever would be unique.
Unique things have style, therefore I would have technique, tone and style.

I've always thought: There is no bad idea for the right mind.
Applied: There is no bad tone for the right ears.

Nice post.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Working on tone costs money. Working on technique costs time. I think I'll take the tone, thanks.
Page 1 of 2