I just got an Ibanez TB100h, im loving the tone, but thats not what this is about.

For a while ive been using a Marshall AVT50 combo amp through a Peavey 4x12 cab, and it sounded good(other than crappy tone). today i bought the tb100h and set it up with the cab, but the overdrive channel doesnt sound as loud as the clean and the marshall was louder. the head is 100w at 8 ohms and 120w at 4 ohms, while the cab is just 8 ohms, the head is running at 8 ohms. so i guess what im asking is, why dont i feel like this is as loud as it could be?
Honestly, you bought one of the worst SS amps on the market. However if you like it then thats you're choice and I'm not here to bash you for it. Just be warned that in the future, after you've developed a better ear for tone, you may regret you're purchase (we have all been down that road before though).

Watts =/= volume.

Two amps may have the same power rating but have completely different maximum volume levels.

As far as the two channels not being the same volume, I've noticed the clean channel is louder than the drive channel on a lot of SS amps but I'm not sure why - maybe someone else can elaborate on that.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Oct 29, 2009,
i probably should have said that the marshall was 50W and the TB100 is 100W
It could be any number of factors - including the sensitivity of the speakers in the Peavey, or more likely just the amp itself.

I once bought a second-hand TB100h as an ultra-cheap backup amp and frankly it was so horrible I felt ripped off, despite paying only £35 for it. The clean channel is surprisingly nice but the onboard overdrive is abhorrent.

I suggest running a choice dirt pedal or two into the clean channel of the 'nez - you should get some nice tones and at a slighter higher volume.
Quote by Biggy315
i probably should have said that the marshall was 50W and the TB100 is 100W

Still, watts is a measure of how powerful the amp is - the higher the watts the more clean headroom you have (basically the higher the signal level the amp can handle before it starts to clip).

Volume all depends on the amp's circuitry and such.

However, are you using a speaker cable to connect the head and the cab?
Also, are you sure you have the impedance matched correctly?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Still, watts is a measure of how powerful the amp is - the higher the watts the more clean headroom you have (basically the higher the signal level the amp can handle before it starts to clip).

Volume all depends on the amp's circuitry and such.

However, are you using a speaker cable to connect the head and the cab?
Also, are you sure you have the impedance matched correctly?

Im just using a regular instrument cable

to give you a better idea, heres what im looking at

You need to use a speaker cable. Regular instrument cables can't handle the load being carried from the head to the cab and the cable can melt and you may possible damage the head, the cab, or both.

As far as the impedance, it looks like you're safe to me.
it sounds a bit quieter because the rating on the cab is 16 ohms and the rating on the head is 8. also the voicing of the drive channel might have the mids scooped which will sound like a slight volume drop to your ears.
Quote by joe_k
it sounds a bit quieter because the rating on the cab is 16 ohms and the rating on the head is 8. also the voicing of the drive channel might have the mids scooped which will sound like a slight volume drop to your ears.

thats for mono, im pretty sure that the cab is on stereo
Quote by joe_k

I'll admit that when you connect a head to a cab with a higher impedance rating you will notice a slight loss in tone and volume but it wouldn't be that much.
if you have the cab set on stereo then you are only using one of the speakers. even though i haven't played the amp i have a feeling it is geared twoards metal and the gain channel is scooped. same thing happens with my engl when switching to the lead channel.
idunno maybe it is on mono then cause theres sound coming out of all 4 speakers
Quote by Biggy315
idunno maybe it is on mono then cause theres sound coming out of all 4 speakers

The stereo switch basically splits it into two 2x12 vertical cabs - this enables you to run two heads into one cab or run a head with stereo outs into the cab (this is useful when you're using effects such as a rotating speaker effect that needs to pan from one side to the other.)
yeh sorry forgot it was 4x12, so if you have it in stereo, using only one input, you are using only 2 speakers in the cab. i have never tried it but technically you could run the cab in stereo with the two 8 ohm outputs on the head into the 2 inputs on the cab and this would utilize all 4 speakers at the right impedence. otherwise if i were you i would just switch the cab to mono and run it at a higher impedence.

try turning up your mids and see how that helps the volume drop.
ahh well theres a problem, the switch is broke, so its stuck on stereo, and the left port on the back isnt there either, time for a new cab i guess
when i was using the marshall combo through there was only 1 port coming from the back of that, now with the ibanez theres 1, is that the reason the marshall sounded louder
i think the marshall sounded louder because it is voiced with more mids while i'm guessing the ibanez is voiced with a scooped mid range. don't quote me on this though.
Quote by Biggy315
im not quite sure what you mean by scooped mids

I means that the mids are cut - basically your EQ would form a "V" shape.
Quote by Biggy315
ahh well theres a problem, the switch is broke, so its stuck on stereo, and the left port on the back isnt there either, time for a new cab i guess

That should be an easy fix. The speakers just need to be wired back up to the switch plate. Maybe a new insert jack. Maybe an hour or so. $40.

Quote by Biggy315
and it sounded good(other than crappy tone).

no such thing

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

no such thing

hah yeah i realize now that sounds really stupid