hello I am a new user to this forum. This looked like one of the most popular US guitar boards so I signed up. I am sort of a beginner. I have had my guitar for 5 years but I just really started playing 2-3 months ago. My guitar is an epiphone gibson sg. It cost me 400 dollars and it is my second guitar (I have an a classical in storage).

Well I have been into heavy metal music all my life. I cannot stand this guitar at all. I am a beginner, so I don't want something crazy expensive and be a newbie playing it.

I don't know anything about "tone", "action" or whatever that stuff is. I know it sometimes buzzes a bit so I have adjusted the bridges and put new strings on it twice. my main problem with it is that it only has 22 frets. A lot of the songs I will want to play in the future need 24. I know you can bend and stuff but I think 24 would be good.

I have looked online at ibanez, schecter, jackson, esp, and dean. They all look nice but I know nothing.

I was told by a friend that cheap ibanez's are very good quality and sound good if that makes sense. he also says go for jumbo frets?

my music taste includes megadeth, death, iron lung, iron maiden, motorhead, metallica, etc.

I really need help so please give me your opinions. I have some money put aside for a new guitar. I would prefer not to spend more than 600 or 700, but if I get good advice I will.

i live in canada and the closest guitar shop to me is a place called long & mcquade.

thank you all sorry for long topic
I know an ESP and Schecter myself, and i play metal mostly they work amazing for me.
RJSB
$700 bux, buy a Jackson RR3 used for $350 and use the rest for a combo marshall, crate, line 6 amps
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
hi

my amp is a line 6 spider 3 30 watt and I love it. I bought it 2 months ago after having a small peavy rage which as no distortion or anything on it.

I tried my uncle's 1988 us stratocaster with lacecensor on it and it sounds so amazing for any type of music. not a fan of the stratocaster look though.

I don't think my guitar sounds very heavy through it. i have fiddled with all the settings but I don't really like it. ugly guitar too in my opinion.
looks dont matter, strats r not good 4 metal unless its the humber withlocking bridge/nut but still better stuff out there. u can get a used lower end half stack for around $300 on craigslist tho.
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
i was just saying because you were talking about amps. that guitar is way better than mine.

i like my amp its a new guitar im looking for.
I would definitely recommend the esp ltd line, the necks on them feel oh so good. Please dont be one of those people who play EMG's through a Line 6
It's not worth getting a new guitar for 2 extra frets especially since you're such a beginner.
This is my best recommendations based on what I read:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

If you don't like your epiphone les paul, then this guitar is kind of like the opposite of it. Slim neck, lightweight body, 24 frets and it's ready for metal! Easy price and a great beginner guitar. Go to a local guitar store and see if they have one and try it out.

Strats aren't for metal? Tell that to Yngiwe Malmsteen. It doesn't really matter what guitar you use for what type of music you play, it depends on the player.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It's not worth getting a new guitar for 2 extra frets especially since you're such a beginner.

Yes it is.
Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Quote by DiminuendoX
This is my best recommendations based on what I read:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

If you don't like your epiphone les paul, then this guitar is kind of like the opposite of it. Slim neck, lightweight body, 24 frets and it's ready for metal! Easy price and a great beginner guitar. Go to a local guitar store and see if they have one and try it out.

Strats aren't for metal? Tell that to Yngiwe Malmsteen. It doesn't really matter what guitar you use for what type of music you play, it depends on the player.

that's a really nice guitar, I like the body shape of those type of ibanez.

yes I am a beginner but I do know some stuff. I know all the basic chords. some barre chords and some power chords. I play mostly megadeth stuff. Songs I can play well I think are symphony of destruction, trust, and countdown. I also like to noodle a lot and play fun stuff like the beatles.

also when you say emg you mean pick ups? Cause I was reading the other day about two popular pick ups called em81/85. Sounds cool and stuff, but I would rather get a whole new guitar than pickups. I don't know enough about guitars to just buy pickups.
Where in Canada do you live? If you get the chance, go to Steves because they are pretty much the only Shecter/Dean/ESP dealer in the country. L&M refuses to bring those things in!
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
I would definitely recommend the esp ltd line, the necks on them feel oh so good. Please dont be one of those people who play EMG's through a Line 6

+1 to all this
I started on an ESP ltd, and I have seriously considered switching the neck with my PRS neck (but then I got used to the PRS). It has one of the fasted necks I have ever played.

I'd reccomend something with a body shape which isn't TOO radical. Maybe one of these:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex.html
with the EMGs (I dunno if you want a Floyd or not though)
Quote by TheBrownPenguin

-.-

Quote by JELIFISH19

Honestly I'll have to concur, if you've only been playing for 2-3 months then unless you are solely concentrating on playing songs that require those frets then you can still get away with your current guitar until you have more cash and had more thinking time about what you want in your next guitar.

Quote by dyce
that's a really nice guitar, I like the body shape of those type of ibanez.

yes I am a beginner but I do know some stuff. I know all the basic chords. some barre chords and some power chords. I play mostly megadeth stuff. Songs I can play well I think are symphony of destruction, trust, and countdown. I also like to noodle a lot and play fun stuff like the beatles.

also when you say emg you mean pick ups? Cause I was reading the other day about two popular pick ups called em81/85. Sounds cool and stuff, but I would rather get a whole new guitar than pickups. I don't know enough about guitars to just buy pickups.

Actually a few people would probably agree with me on this one but if you do get a new guitar then your next weakest link would be your amp rather then the pickups in the guitar. But yeah I'd also agree with the RG321 they are definitely wonderful guitars.
What is wrong with the Epi?? How it feels,plays,sounds?An SG400 is actually a fairly good guitar. Depending on the problems you might find it cheaper to fix then to replace. As stated above the problem might be the amp if sound is your problem.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
-.-

Honestly I'll have to concur, if you've only been playing for 2-3 months then unless you are solely concentrating on playing songs that require those frets then you can still get away with your current guitar until you have more cash and had more thinking time about what you want in your next guitar.

Actually a few people would probably agree with me on this one but if you do get a new guitar then your next weakest link would be your amp rather then the pickups in the guitar. But yeah I'd also agree with the RG321 they are definitely wonderful guitars.

Fade to Black
Enter Sandman
Leper Messiah
Seek and Destroy

I want to play these songs but cant without the frets. -.-
Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob
Fade to Black
Enter Sandman
Leper Messiah
Seek and Destroy

urm what tab are you using because i just used the top rated UG tabs for Fade and Enter and they dont use the 24th fret
one of my first guitars was an ibanez rg gio there very good for that type of music and for the price very good value, although why is your guitar not suitable ?
He knows nothing about tone, action, and probably doesn't know enough about other essential things to make a smart purchase. He also states "a lot of the songs [he] will want to play in the future need 24" which implies that he can't even play them yet. He seems like a beginner who thinks a new guitar will make him a better guitarist which isn't true at all. It's like he sees things like 22 medium frets are holding him back which isn't the case, especially when a lot of the bands he's influenced by have played guitars with 22 medium frets.
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob
Fade to Black
Enter Sandman
Leper Messiah
Seek and Destroy

I didn't know you were the ts.....and in his exact same situation.
no where in my post did i say a better guitar will make me a better player. i said i dont want to be a newbie and spend thousands on a guitar and look stupid.

i will eventually replace my guitar sooner or later doesn't matter as i have some money put aside.

i don't like the look of my guitar at all. and nothing is wrong with my amp it rocks. i think a guitar more suited for metal would sound better through it though.