? I cant see a ton of advantages. I can do most of the hammer ons that are used within a chord, just using a normal fingering for a barre chord, its just a little harder
i play the g-chord using my thumb on the on the low-e, also dave mustaine uses his thumb on the high strings to be able to stretch as far as one octave on one string
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
o, i just meant like as far as barre chords go. Mostly for playing Blues and Funk
The main difference I find is the 'colour' of the chord sound. Play a normal barre chord G. Then play a barre chord G with the thumb for the bass E, whilst muting the A string. With the thumb muting the 5th string the G chord becomes brighter in sound.

Personally for me, it made sense to use the thumb when learning some songs e.g. Enter Sandman. Wasn't til later that I discovered Jimi did the same thing.
I use my thumb all the time. If I feel like it's better to use it on that certain chord then I will. Only problem is that it kills the thumb after a while!
Once you go FLAC, you never go back.
I have one or two songs where I add in my thumb on the low e string. So I guess if it helps or makes the song sound better I say Why not use your thumbs!
I never use my thumb, the only time ive ever used it is when playing 'Cant stop' By red hot chili peppers
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp