The most newly updated version thus far is titled...
(Original) Primitive Pain - ReMix! (Edit June18)

The older version that I'm working away from is titled "(Original) Primitive Pain - ReMix!"

Newly updated today
Dont worry about the older posts, as I didn't want to double post this update, but I figured making a new thread would be worse than perhaps bumping this one.

Anyways I do have a new tidbit of info to add here, that I feel is significant so...

Be Aware, The first 9 (including this one) posts are ALL speaking about the older mix. Not the one that I named off above. Again, the first NINE posts of this thread are talking about the OLD mix.

I felt I needed to state that, as I'm not looking for a critique of the old mix. and I don't want anyone to feel embarrassed agreeing on the points made by the older posts, and come to find out they weren't even discussing the same damned mix (I have one user do that already...sry sam :P)

Also, I have uploaded a new version of the mix after taking some of Ethan's suggestion under consideration, however I don't feel that I followed through with his advice all too well with this particular mix. However I'll still leave it up for reference's sake, so the mix will be available in the playlist. Titled
"(Original) Primitive Pain - ReMix! (June16)

I've completely re-recorded all parts and remixed the song, however there is no real addition as far as material I've written - just simply that the song sounds LOADS better than before. It is still located on my profile, and should appear as the first song in the playlist.

You can find the older version in the "view all mp3's" tab if you wish to compare

The older version is titled "Primitive Pain (In progress)"
Last edited by Night at Jun 18, 2010,
its not bad man. youre a great guitar player. but it just sounds like a big plate of disortion that is clipping. i think it would be cool to mix it up with some clean tone parts then distortion. just for a change. otherwise it just all runs together. its not bad and i think allot of it is just the recording quality. but it needs work. i dig what ya got started though.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22128301#post22128301
mhm, mixwise the cymbals are waaay to "upfront", the rest is totally delay'y, fits nicely for a upbeat track, in the intro the guitar feeled out of time a lot (maybe because of the loud delay or it should be that way). i'd change the guitarsound to something more ripping, more raw, more mids, less gain, and some general adjustment of the delay times (guitars more upfront, cymbals back)

playing and writing wise its good, really nice classical feel to it, it just needs a new mixdown.

thx for the crit!
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
I dig it. I can definitely hear the video game influence, almost like an F-Zero tune.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by Baroque_and_Rol
I dig it. I can definitely hear the video game influence, almost like an F-Zero tune.

fraid I can't relate to your reference, not saying that I haven't played it - used to alot back then - but the music didn't stay in my head next to the likes of zelda or killer instinct I'm afraid :P

though I wasn't neccessarily pulling any influence from the game gen - rather this is just an original in the works that I was working on for that dream album that I may release by tthe time I hit my deathbed -_- lol
great track, like the other person said the cymbals stand out a little too much in the riff

love the riffs though, reminded me alot of in flames, awesome guitar tones! maybe the opening riff goes on a little bit too long though and there was personally too much bass pedal on the drums when it kicked in for me, maybe use not as much and accent the riffs with it abit more? loved the lead guitar parts though

have a listen to my stuff?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225823
Quote by FuzzyBear
great track, like the other person said the cymbals stand out a little too much in the riff

love the riffs though, reminded me alot of in flames, awesome guitar tones! maybe the opening riff goes on a little bit too long though and there was personally too much bass pedal on the drums when it kicked in for me, maybe use not as much and accent the riffs with it abit more? loved the lead guitar parts though

have a listen to my stuff?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225823

yeah the intro does seem to drone on when the double bass kicks in - what I was hoping to do was accentuate the rapid notes being played with the rhythm guitar, since they are not the same as the first set of powerchords. I'll have to go back and rerecord this sooner or later but I'll be a gone for a monthor so before I'll ever get near my comp to bother working on any of this anytime soon.
I agree, I like this a lot and I think the thing that hurts it is the tone. Feels like you lose a lot of the intonation in the distortion. I often have that problem too. I like to use high gain and I use lots of harmonics in my improvising but when I get into chords it's so distorted that it becomes hard to hear. I'd say this would sound really cool with a harmonizer effect and maybe a less distorted tone, but the arrangement itself is really cool. I like it a lot actually!
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Dont worry about the older posts, as I didn't want to double post this update, but I figured making a new thread would be worse than perhaps bumping this one.

Anyways I do have a new tidbit of info to add here, that I feel is significant so...

I've completely re-recorded all parts and remixed the song, however there is no real addition as far as material I've written - just simply that the song sounds LOADS better than before. It is still located on my profile, and should appear as the first song in the playlist.

You can find the older version in the "view all mp3's" tab if you wish to compare
I liked the song definitely, some awesome leads there, but the guitar felt thin and distant and I agree with the others that the cymbals were a little too loud, but not horrible. Thanks for the crit by the way.
Quote by sambot12
I liked the song definitely, some awesome leads there, but the guitar felt thin and distant and I agree with the others that the cymbals were a little too loud, but not horrible. Thanks for the crit by the way.

mm wait the cymbals were too loud? I'm not sure how that is, considering those comments from the others were addressing the old mix, now the cymbals in THOSE were definitely loud and much more upfront. Seems like I'll need to post a notice stating that all critiques before this # post are speaking about the older mix.

Thanks for returning the favor
Quote by Night
mm wait the cymbals were too loud? I'm not sure how that is, considering those comments from the others were addressing the old mix, now the cymbals in THOSE were definitely loud and much more upfront. Seems like I'll need to post a notice stating that all critiques before this # post are speaking about the older mix.

Thanks for returning the favor

I apologize for my wording haha. I meant to say the drums overall were too loud compared to the guitar IMO, but you're right , now that I listen to it again, the cymbals aren't especially loud in particular. Sorry about that.
Ok, lets start with the mix, first, the guitars and the bass were kinda fighting each other for the 0-500hz range, which makes the guitars sound thin and muddy, best way to solve that is to run a high pass on the guitars at 300-500hz, and let the bass take up the 0-500hz range. Second, level out your volumes, the drums seem to overpower everything, especially the blast beat part, I can't hear nothing but the bass drum, after that, there's nothing really wrong, I love the song, just the mix has some tiny issues.

I would love to hear the rest of the song when it's done.

Overall the tone is really nice, composition is good.

The rhythm guitars could be made thicker, sounding more full if you know what i mean.
And yeah, the bass drums are WAYY too loud in some parts. That defnitely needs to be sorted.

The leads sound great, could be a little louder.
They go very well with the rest of the instruments. You're quite the talented player.

Is this part of a song?
Or is this the entire thing?
Quote by ethan_hanus

Hah, yeah me too >_>
But my brain unfortunately just doesn't want to operate here lately... I think it's from this past semester - after that mess I just wanna crawl in a hole and sleep for a decade or so and be given the choice of NOT thinking every once in a while

Thanks for the critique!!! Ya know... it doesn't sound like the first time you've had to tell me to cut around the 500hz
How many more times do you think you have to remind me before I actually start doing it more often!!!??! I must be one bad listener XD

just aggravating ya

Quote by unet

And yeah, the bass drums are WAYY too loud in some parts. That defnitely needs to be sorted.

The leads sound great, could be a little louder.

aaah darn, here I was thinking I'd gotten the bass drum juuuust right. I'll see what I can muster up then

Quote by unet

They go very well with the rest of the instruments. You're quite the talented player.

Oh stop, I'm blushing

Quote by unet

Is this part of a song?
Or is this the entire thing?

yes its still an ongoing project, and not necessarily finished. A majority of it was from parts that I scrapped from an oooooold old old song I wrote around 6 years ago in my noober guitaring days. I sorta picked at it here and there the past two years (as far as the intro) and only made more progress with it in a span of a week sometime soon after that. I hadn't bothered to really add much more material to it the past 1 - 1 1/2 year.

Matter of fact I should dig up that old project, as I never finished it either....
But I've been spending too much time concerning myself with learning the ins and outs of mixing (I know its a lifetime trade... but I'm wanting to get to a certain "level" and then start working back on writing and playing)

Thats one of the reason I've been working on mostly covers here lately, especially ones that involve alot of different instruments, more practice comes out of it than when I'm sitting there trying to mix an original song, and all the time worrying whether I wrote a particular part right, or if I should write a completely different lead, etc.

Not to mention the way the song sounds now... I can't even fathom wth to write next. well actually I DO know, I just don't want to really sit down and tab it all out etc and record it here lately XD plus I end up spending days on end doing so once I get started. sorta makes it hard for me to stop once I get into writing mode XD
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ok, lets start with the mix, first, the guitars and the bass were kinda fighting each other for the 0-500hz range, which makes the guitars sound thin and muddy, best way to solve that is to run a high pass on the guitars at 300-500hz, and let the bass take up the 0-500hz range. Second, level out your volumes, the drums seem to overpower everything, especially the blast beat part, I can't hear nothing but the bass drum, after that, there's nothing really wrong, I love the song, just the mix has some tiny issues.

Just an update guys - I've posted a new clip in response to ethan's suggestion, Just to note there is a maximizer on the master bus so it seems to shift the eq's around a bit when I adjust the volume/eq of one track.

but I did go around each rhythm track, shaved 8db off the 320hz and 5db of 640hz with my 9 band eq. also dropped the volume slightly with the drums and placed the leads a slight bit more upfront The mix sounds monstrous to me now, so let me know what you think

The newly updated titled ought to be the second one listed in the playlist, otherwise titled...

"(Original) Primitive Pain - New Mix! (EDIT)"

Be sure to check it out all
The 16th note kick at the beginning was way too fast. The Bass drum also sounds kinda muddy and it kind of affected the rest of the mix by giving it a bit of digital distortion. Other than that, I thought it was pretty awesome, def old school. A bit short though, streched out a little more this would make a really great song.

Check out mine when you get the chance
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326531
Quote by Night
Just an update guys - I've posted a new clip in response to ethan's suggestion, Just to note there is a maximizer on the master bus so it seems to shift the eq's around a bit when I adjust the volume/eq of one track.

but I did go around each rhythm track, shaved 8db off the 320hz and 5db of 640hz with my 9 band eq. also dropped the volume slightly with the drums and placed the leads a slight bit more upfront The mix sounds monstrous to me now, so let me know what you think

The newly updated titled ought to be the second one listed in the playlist, otherwise titled...

"(Original) Primitive Pain - New Mix! (EDIT)"

Be sure to check it out all

Sounds alot better, still has some issues, which I was afraid that you'd run into. So, it's a whole lot less muddy, good job on that, but now the bass guitar is too loud, and that blast beat is still overpowering everything.

So try this for me, level out every track at 0 db. Go and down load these two VST's, NCL EQ( Matthew Lindsay), and apply that to every track, don't mess with it, just leave it as it is, it levels out everything and acts like another preamp that just cleans up all your frequencies, making it clearer. Then download the Classic Master Limiter(Kjaerhus Audio) and apply that to your master mix, it will level out your frequencies, compress really loud frequencies, and bring up lower frequencies, also make your mix a whole lot louder without clipping it.

Now the way I like to mix my stuff in Reaper, which, it may not work for you, but I say give it a shot, I like to put everything at 0 db on the tracks, then I apply my impluses, the NCL EQ, and the Real EQ(graphic EQ) and I raise the volume of the guitars by 2 db(while running a high pass of 250hz and a low pass of 11500hz). Then I go to the bass guitar track, in the Real EQ I'll pull the volume down by 1 db, run a low pass of 7250hz.

Then I apply the master limiter to the master mix, which levels everything out, and makes the mix louder. With the drum tracks, I typically want it to be 4-6 db louder than the guitar tracks, if it's over that, then the guitars get drowned out.

Give that a try. I know what you mean man, I get tired of typing it. Try this, idk what program your using, but if you can, make an FX chain that you can save the setting to, so you don't have to go through the process of re EQing and applying things to it, saves time, and helps you remember important things.
Pretty cool, good groove. Feels like driving or flying music. Something sweet to listen to on the highway on a road trip. Too short though I like the way it builds up and goes into the double kick drums. Nice lead that comes in at :40 - really brings it up a notch. Sounds like a really fun song to play.
speeed killz
heyhey ethan, alrighty DL'd the plugins and I'll have a look at it again here soon. However I'm not sure what it was but I think I got a little high off that mix yesterday. In other words after i took a break and went back to listen to the files again I kinda didn't get why I enjoyed that updated mix more than the original, the guitars just simply sounded as if they lost alot of their life in them.

I'm still not sure about the blast beats as I feel they're at a reasonable volume and dont get in the way in the second updated mix. As the bass guitar is a synth as well, the mix may be better served with an actual recorded bass guitar, which I'll be doing here soon anyways.

I'll still run through and do everything as you suggested. I'm curious anyways :P

btw, I do the same normally, I always keep the master and drum track at 0db and never budge em. typically I do the same with everything else. I instead route my, say for example - left rhythm guitars, to a single bus. and then I'll adjust the volume and pan to that one bus. However doing this, I normally slide the bus's volume by at least -15 to -20db, otherwise the tracks will clip over about 5-10db. (since usually theres about 3-4 guitar tracks running into that single bus.)

I'm gonna be focusing less on this mix however for a bit, as I've been keeping some people waiting on my zelda mix X_X and its been slowgoing with that one
Last edited by Night at Jun 17, 2010,
Wow, you have to pull it down -15 to -20 db? That's too much man, it wont hurt anything, just makes it more difficult to work with. Your using mics, right? I record DI off my Valvekings preamp, so to get a decent line level, I have to crank that 50 watt tube amp up pretty good, shakes the whole house. But my general rule is to keep my recorded line level volume around -6 db, it's just so much easier to work with.

That's cool man, just let me know when you get the new mix up.

aaah yeah, normally I'll record at least four unique guitar tracks. But usually when I only record two unique recordings - one for left, and another for the right - I also duplicate each L/R track 1-2 times and apply different IR's to them (I use amp modellers, instead of micing a cab)

I normally have my preamp gain at about 12 o'clock (M-audio's audiobuddy, running into a delta 44 card) and unless I have my guitar's volume at around 50% my signal ends up clippings up before it ever reaches the preamp (my invader pickup is HOT and flabby muddy... I'm still trying to figure out how to wire it in order to have my tone pot act as a trim for cutting bass frequencies instead of as a treble rolloff. I found a diagram showing me how to wire it, here on UG - but it didn't seem to make a difference, which could be due to the capacitor value I used...)

But I'm still gonna look into it, I used sony acid 6 to mix that one, however I just got my copy of sonar 8 in and I'm gonna be learning how to use it.

btw if anyone knows, how in the hell do you disable the default "Enable Looping" option whenever you import media files into a sonar project? I hate have to go into the clip properties of every single media file I import into my project, since I handle the majority of them in FL Studio anyways.

but anyways, yeah if I have 2-3 guitar tracks (This includes overdubs) all of them at 0db - metering at about -1db at peak values
routed to a bus- they don't become leveled out, I have to lower the volume slider on that bus myself otherwise if I kept it at 0db on the bus's volume slider, that one bus would be pumping about +10db or so. If I dock the bus volume at about -15 to -20db then all three of those tracks routed to it will only push that one bus to about -6db or so (on the meter)
Last edited by Night at Jun 17, 2010,
Wow, thats way too much work, it really shouldn't be that hard. I wouldn't recommend copying tracks, just straight up double tracking should be more than enough.

I actually kinda want to try to mix this myself, cause somethings going wrong, just neither one of us have yet to figure it out.
oh well what I mean is - heres a screenshot of the project

when I record the one unique guitar track, I duplicate it twice for a total of three.
from there I just route all three tracks to one single bus. I name this bus "Left Rhythm Guitar"
It makes it much more easy to adjust overall volume of those three tracks at the same time, as well as apply overall eq, etc to these tracks.

The reason for having three tracks however...

can be seen here.

with the left boogex plugin I typically have loaded into tracks 1-2 (With different impulses) For mixing different mics or positions of the same cab IR

for the third track I use boogex shown in the right image, typically with the D6 IR from recab for the bottom end *thump

and different eq's to each track for taste, then they're all routed to the bus and panned hard L/R or wherever I want them.
Dude, like I said before, way too many tracks. The most tracks I ever have is 6, 1 drum track, 2 rhythm guitars, recorded twice and one track paned hard left and one track paned hard right, 1 lead guitar, center, and 1 bass, center. I use Lecab for my impulse loader, allows you to load two different impulse, mix them together, and has a high and low pass built into it.

Trust me, the less complex you make this process, the better it's going to sound, and the more hair you'll have left on your head.
btw, are there any other IR loaders that have dual impulse bays like Lecab, but also allow you to audtion and switch through different IR's liek Voxengo Boogex does? Thats probably the number one reason why I use that plug, as it's much easier to deal with when i'm just skimming through IR's instead of having to open the browser every single time I want to change to a different IR >_<

bah like it matters anymore now - I typically know which IR combinations I like or prefer nowadays anyhow after messing with them for so long - I guess its high time I go back to using lecab again as well

I did keep my mixes much smaller at one point, however it seems as if as time went on my mixes ended up gradually growing and growing XD
I'm working on it atm and I'm liking what I'm hearing, over the older mix even - so I'll post it up tomorrow morning once its all said and done
Do you have Ryan's impulses? Catharsis Studio's impulses? I swear his impulses are the best I've ever used, It's all I ever use, I haven't changed impulses since I found them. I think either in the tone testing thread V II, or somewhere in the RR form you can find the link to his free download of them.

Trust me, on every guitar track, use the Lecab loader, choose the pres-5 in the first box, flick the mix switch, basically flick all the switches once, and in the second box put pres-high, high pass 250hz, low pass 11500hz on each, and presto, amazing tone. Everything I do, that is where the base of my tone comes from. Makes everything so much simpler too.

EDIT: Idk about other impluse loaders, I used Kifler for a while, then I started using Lecab and never looked back, it takes more time to use, but it's so much more simple.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jun 18, 2010,
I've tried catharsis studio's but they're not really to my liking so I normally don't put them to use.

yeah I just remember why I didn't like using Lecab. Whenever I make a preset of my chain effect (or when I'm loading up a saved project that uses lecab) for SOME reason it NEVER remembers the IR that I loaded into it, and defaults to the SoloC IR's. happens every single time, and I just ended up getting tired of it XD
But I can live with that lol

I'm still having to dock each single guitar track about -10db to get a reasonable level on the meters, (reduced it to simply 1 L/R and centered lead track with bass and drum track.)

coming along nicely so far
Quote by ethan_hanus
Dude, like I said before, way too many tracks. The most tracks I ever have is 6, 1 drum track, 2 rhythm guitars, recorded twice and one track paned hard left and one track paned hard right, 1 lead guitar, center, and 1 bass, center. I use Lecab for my impulse loader, allows you to load two different impulse, mix them together, and has a high and low pass built into it.

Trust me, the less complex you make this process, the better it's going to sound, and the more hair you'll have left on your head.

I've been interning at a recording studio and you'd be surprised how many things end up being double tracked. Even a rap session that I sat in on ended up with quad tracked main vocals and 2 distinct double tracked accent vocals.

OT: As much as I love double bass drumming, that felt like a bit too much. Maybe just take the level down a bit? Musically, this song still feels unfinished. I'd really like to see it expanded beyond 80 seconds and have vocals added. Great potential here.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324358
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I've been interning at a recording studio and you'd be surprised how many things end up being double tracked. Even a rap session that I sat in on ended up with quad tracked main vocals and 2 distinct double tracked accent vocals.

OT: As much as I love double bass drumming, that felt like a bit too much. Maybe just take the level down a bit? Musically, this song still feels unfinished. I'd really like to see it expanded beyond 80 seconds and have vocals added. Great potential here.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324358

Yeah, I know a guy named Mattuys who quad tracks his rhythm guitars, bass, double tracks his lead guitar and drums, and he has an epic tone. What night is doing (I think) is he double tracks the guitars, then makes a third track, and inside the left pan he pans the two tracks left and right(?) and uses the third track and runs it up center of that paned track(I'm guessing to make it clearer?) And then does the same with the other side, which, if he just did the normal double tracking, running one track panned hard right, and one track panned hard left, then I think a lot of problems would be solved right there.

I listened to it again with fresh ears, and I think your tone is actually really good, you just need to lower the bass guitar way below the rhythm guitars so it doesn't make the track so boomy.
Quote by ethan_hanus
What night is doing (I think) is he double tracks the guitars, then makes a third track, and inside the left pan he pans the two tracks left and right(?) and uses the third track and runs it up center of that paned track(I'm guessing to make it clearer?) And then does the same with the other side, which, if he just did the normal double tracking, running one track panned hard right, and one track panned hard left, then I think a lot of problems would be solved right there.

I listened to it again with fresh ears, and I think your tone is actually really good, you just need to lower the bass guitar way below the rhythm guitars so it doesn't make the track so boomy.

Nah what I do is, first off.

3 Tracks --> one bus.

The bus is the only thing thats panned. it will be either hard L/R
Even if I were to adjust the panning on the 3 tracks themselves, it wouldn't make much of a difference, not if the bus is panned hard L/R (At least, there is no difference showing up in the opposite channel.) Which means I can just keep the 3 tracks centered regardless, because its the bus that has the final say so.

The reason for having the 3 tracks (Even if they're all duplicates) was to simply mix different IR's etc. I typically quad track as well, I just didn't feel like doing so this time around (To me I'm still "kinda" double tracking in the first place with that earlier snapshot I showed, since its only two unique recordings, but simply has duplicates tweaking the tone)
Super sweet stuff dude, killer tone, great playing, everything sounds super clean. Its not necessarily my genre of choice but I like some metal/thrashy type stuff. I think the real test is finding a drummer who plays double like that lol In all honesty it sounds a bit too 80's for me, but again not my style.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Night
Nah what I do is, first off.

3 Tracks --> one bus.

The bus is the only thing thats panned. it will be either hard L/R
Even if I were to adjust the panning on the 3 tracks themselves, it wouldn't make much of a difference, not if the bus is panned hard L/R (At least, there is no difference showing up in the opposite channel.) Which means I can just keep the 3 tracks centered regardless, because its the bus that has the final say so.

The reason for having the 3 tracks (Even if they're all duplicates) was to simply mix different IR's etc. I typically quad track as well, I just didn't feel like doing so this time around (To me I'm still "kinda" double tracking in the first place with that earlier snapshot I showed, since its only two unique recordings, but simply has duplicates tweaking the tone)

Well, that's not really double tracking then, I learned the hard way that no matter how many times you keep coping and moving the copies around, changing them up, making them sound different, it will never, ever equal to what a simple double tracked song will. Double tracking just makes your tone huge, and you don't even have to work that much in your DAW to get it to sound even better. You have to actually record it twice. It's hard to do, but trust me, once you get good at it, your skill as a guitar player increases, you play a lot tighter and more on time without using a metronome.

Idk man, I've given you about all the advice I can on recording, I'm not the most knowledgeable with this kind of stuff, but I have figured out what works and what doesn't.

Keep on keeping on.
I listened to the June 18 mix, I'm assuming thats the most current one.
This sounds good. Your guitar tone sounds nice and thick, and the drum samples sound very good as well. The programming of the drums was a little bland, though. Maybe some fills would make them come to life a bit more. Also at around :30 for me the bass drum is too loud.
Your lead playing sounds good, but I think it could use more volume.
Is this the whole song or is this just an idea? It seems to end very abruptly. Cool stuff regardless
Quote by Night
lol, here ethan maybe this will help explain what it was i have been doing :P because I don't believe I'm putting it out clearly XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAowsDxKJsc

Shane explains it better than I ever could @ 4:51 in the video.

That makes a whole lot more sense. Thanks. It's kinda what I do, except I don't make extra tracks, I just use Lecab's two impulses mixer thingy majiger.

I guess that's why I never really liked recabi's impulses, always thought they were to hazzly sounding. I apparently was doing it wrong.

I listened to the June 18 mix, and the guitars sound great, a little to bright for my tastes, may just be my speakers, but the guitar and bass are near perfect levels now, the bass fills the low end of the guitar quite well. The drums could come up a tad in the mix, just a little bit, cause they kinda sound distant, but your still able to hear them clearly.
Quote by TV-Casualty
I listened to the June 18 mix, I'm assuming thats the most current one.
This sounds good. Your guitar tone sounds nice and thick, and the drum samples sound very good as well. The programming of the drums was a little bland, though. Maybe some fills would make them come to life a bit more. Also at around :30 for me the bass drum is too loud.
Your lead playing sounds good, but I think it could use more volume.
Is this the whole song or is this just an idea? It seems to end very abruptly. Cool stuff regardless

Yeah that was the most up-to-date one Thanks for checking it out!

Its just a little short piece that I wrote a year or two ago, but I've been remixing and tracking it again just to get it sounding better than before as alot of people had mentioned it just sounded like a "plate of distortion" etc - which was mostly because of my dry signal clipping before running into my amp sims.

I wanted to finish it this summer but it doesn't look like I'll be able to. plus there are a few covers I was hoping to finish soon so it doesn't look like I'll be getting back to actually writing new material for this anytime soon 8*( But I'll def write it out if an idea ever comes to me :P that goes without saying XD

but anyways, the UG player is very misleading - as it sounds nothing like when I'm playing this, and other songs in my media players on my pc with flat eq (homeC, WMP, GOM, just to give you a few examples...)

but oh well, I guess they can't all be winners - one can really only offer very general mixing tips or suggestions if the mix is taking a sharp turn for the worse- otherwise just suggestions in the writing is all one can look forward to XD