I was watching STP and noticed they miced up their ac30s with LDCs which i thought was unusual. I am wondering do most bands DI their amps. Surely this sounds inferior even live. Also if you dont have a di like on the 5150 where do you put the di box.

btw my question marks arent working on my keyboard or brackets
Most venues put an SM57 instrument mic in front of one speaker of guitar cabs. Some places DI basses, some mic up the bass cabs, I even played at one that did both at once.

I have no idea who STP are, but for big bands with their own sound crew, it's pretty common to use a dynamic mic [like an SM57] and a condenser mic on the same cab.
Quote by Cholas
...I have no idea who STP are...

Really!?

What has this world come to!?

TS: As said, most places mic up an amp (the Shure SM57 is pretty much the industry standard for this) and DI the bass amp.

When you DI a bass you normally plug the bass into the DI box and run the 1/4" out from the box to the amp and the XLR out from the box to the mixing console.
Quote by Cholas
One that uses acronyms too often.

But please tell me that you know who Stone Temple Pilots are??
Quote by Cholas
Oh, yeah, I know who they are. All can return to normal now.

I wasn't trying to insult you or anything - sorry if I came across that way.

I was just shocked at the thought that someone may not know who they are, as mainstream as the band is.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I wasn't trying to insult you or anything - sorry if I came across that way.

I was just shocked at the thought that someone may not know who they are, as mainstream as the band is.

Nah it's all cool man, I've stopped trying to guess acronyms on the internet, but if I thought about it in the context of this forum I probably would have reached the right conclusion.

So we answered the threadstarter's question and then hijacked it... is that good or bad behaviour? Haha
it's not uncommon for major touring acts to have upwards of half a dozen signals running from each guitarist. that's "per sound" in some cases, for example if a guitarist for [band] has 10 signals running to board from his dual rec/pitbull stereo for heavy tones, he might very well have another 4-6 running from his twin reverb for clean tones. they consist of various combinations of mic's, di's, and often direct tracking for a truckload of reasons to include post-processing (almost always for "live" dvd content).
Quote by GrisKy
it's not uncommon for major touring acts to have upwards of half a dozen signals running from each guitarist. that's "per sound" in some cases, for example if a guitarist for [band] has 10 signals running to board from his dual rec/pitbull stereo for heavy tones, he might very well have another 4-6 running from his twin reverb for clean tones. they consist of various combinations of mic's, di's, and often direct tracking for a truckload of reasons to include post-processing (almost always for "live" dvd content).

Good point. Its not always just one signal per band member.

Its also not uncommon to run a multi-effects unit straight into the mixing console as well as to the amp (which is also being mic'd).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Good point. Its not always just one signal per band member.

Its also not uncommon to run a multi-effects unit straight into the mixing console as well as to the amp (which is also being mic'd).

that's very true. there's often various processors that are either run through a seperate pre or direct to board. i kinda' lumped those in with di's, but it really is a different thing.