i am considering on changing pick-ups to my aria pro guitar and i want to know which are the differences between those 2 pickups.
IMO Gibson pickups are pretty average and extremely overpriced. For the price of Gibson pickups you can get some hand-wound pickups like Bareknuckles.

Also, what amp are you playing through?
Oh lawdy.

No, not worth it. You will barely notice any difference through that amp. I know that's not what you asked, but still.
Quote by tapperzzz
marshall mg15fx

The majority of your tone comes from your amp. If you're unsatisfied with your tone replacing your amp is the first place to start.

Also, with a cheap SS amp you won't notice much difference between your current pickups and ones you may replace them with.
agree with the current and future "new amp" comments, but to answer your question:

498 = very bright very high output, not bad as a bridge pu, but it's hard to find a suitable match for the neck, which leads me to...

490 = VERY muddy and dark. easily the weakest link in gibby pu's.

bb pros = high output, more mid-range friendly than 498's, still quite bright.

gibson pu's take a lot of heat on these threads, and that's somewhat understandable as they're not very receptive as dropins to many non-gibson guitars (i know, that sounds ****in crazy, but i've found it to OFTEN - but not always - be true). this could be due to a number of factors variable to each guitar: density and weight, overall depth, wood selection, yadda yadda... likewise, these variables apply to guitars witin gibson's own line, and ofcourse the "business" aspect comes into play (490/498's = cheaper to mass produce considering the limitations of gibson's resources for pickup R & D). understanding that leads to understanding why they're so expensive in most cases. gibson isn't a "pickup company" the same way seymore duncan or dimarzzio is, and there are many collectors out there who seek out gibson parts for salvage or repair projects.

that said, for the gauntlet of pickup combos i've tried, '57 classics are a perfect fit for me, very middy, not too bright...

as i've said before, in the end it's all about which ones you like. period. i've found no category of guitar gear more subjective than pickups. sure, there are obvious fails (invaders anyone?), but for everyone who hates emg81/85's there's someone who lives for 'em, same for dragons, bareknuckles, air's...
Quote by GrisKy
agree with the current and future "new amp" comments, but to answer your question:

498 = very bright very high output, not bad as a bridge pu, but it's hard to find a suitable match for the neck, which leads me to...

490 = VERY muddy and dark. easily the weakest link in gibby pu's.

bb pros = high output, more mid-range friendly than 498's, still quite bright.

gibson pu's take a lot of heat on these threads, and that's somewhat understandable as they're not very receptive as dropins to many non-gibson guitars (i know, that sounds ****in crazy, but i've found it to OFTEN - but not always - be true). this could be due to a number of factors variable to each guitar: density and weight, overall depth, wood selection, yadda yadda... likewise, these variables apply to guitars witin gibson's own line, and ofcourse the "business" aspect comes into play (490/498's = cheaper to mass produce considering the limitations of gibson's resources for pickup R & D). understanding that leads to understanding why they're so expensive in most cases. gibson isn't a "pickup company" the same way seymore duncan or dimarzzio is, and there are many collectors out there who seek out gibson parts for salvage or repair projects.

that said, for the gauntlet of pickup combos i've tried, '57 classics are a perfect fit for me, very middy, not too bright...

as i've said before, in the end it's all about which ones you like. period. i've found no category of guitar gear more subjective than pickups. sure, there are obvious fails (invaders anyone?), but for everyone who hates emg81/85's there's someone who lives for 'em, same for dragons, bareknuckles, air's...

Yea, I'll admit that I did kind of venture off from the actual question the TS was asking in my OP.

How is Gibson's customer service when it comes to pickups? I know if you call companies like Seymour Duncan and explain what you're looking for they will guide you to the right pickup for you.

Thought maybe the TS could give Gibson a call if he's set on their pickups (depending on how helpful they actually are).
well, i've never called them for pickup-related reasons, but to be honest, it's been hard to get luthiers or techs on the line at all.

my advice for phoning larger companies like gibson (and mesa, jesus christ those guys have perfected the run-around) is to feed 'em a line (if you know your shit, and i mean KNOW your shit). when i was a tech for [band] it was easy, i'd call up and tell them who i worked for... a tech, not a sales rep, a tech, would be on the line in minutes. hate to say it, but it works a little differently when you're on your own. trick is to not let 'em know you're on your own.

try this: pick a band that uses very similar gear to what you use... gonna be tough with an MG (hint: static-x is the only touring band i've ever heard of using an mg on stage for any reason). do some googling, find out who their last producer was, or if the info is available, who the next one is going to be. even better would be to find out who runs their live sound. say you're an assistant to their guitar tech (or whoever you find)... proceed to "talk shop."

then again, you could always just give 'em a call and hope to get lucky. i mean, it's a phone call. the worst you stand to lose is long distance charges and a couple potentially unproductive minutes.

and just to really hit home on this point, amp first bro. upgade your amp first, then con gibson out of product info that's probably available on their website anyways.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
well, i've never called them for pickup-related reasons, but to be honest, it's been hard to get luthiers or techs on the line at all.

my advice for phoning larger companies like gibson (and mesa, jesus christ those guys have perfected the run-around) is to feed 'em a line (if you know your shit, and i mean KNOW your shit). when i was a tech for [band] it was easy, i'd call up and tell them who i worked for... a tech, not a sales rep, a tech, would be on the line in minutes. hate to say it, but it works a little differently when you're on your own. trick is to not let 'em know you're on your own.

try this: pick a band that uses very similar gear to what you use... gonna be tough with an MG (hint: static-x is the only touring band i've ever heard of using an mg on stage for any reason). do some googling, find out who their last producer was, or if the info is available, who the next one is going to be. even better would be to find out who runs their live sound. say you're an assistant to their guitar tech (or whoever you find)... proceed to "talk shop."

then again, you could always just give 'em a call and hope to get lucky. i mean, it's a phone call. the worst you stand to lose is long distance charges and a couple potentially unproductive minutes.

and just to really hit home on this point, amp first bro. upgade your amp first, then con gibson out of product info that's probably available on their website anyways.

That's really quite sad but a lot of companies are like that. Kind of a "you're just an average Joe so we don't wanna waste our time with you" type thing.

Luckily for me, the guys at Ashdown have always been very friendly and helpful anytime I've encountered a problem.
well, to be fair you gotta see it from their point of view. i mean, gibson luthiers are some of the best in the world. they're paid to make guitars, not answer our "which pickup" questions. where they fail is by having receptionists who work for gibson, but might not really know what gibson makes. it's easy to get SOMEONE on the line, but 9 times out of 10 it'll be a sales rep who doesn't care what you buy as long as it has their brand on it.
Quote by GrisKy
well, to be fair you gotta see it from their point of view. i mean, gibson luthiers are some of the best in the world. they're paid to make guitars, not answer our "which pickup" questions. where they fail is by having receptionists who work for gibson, but might not really know what gibson makes. it's easy to get SOMEONE on the line, but 9 times out of 10 it'll be a sales rep who doesn't care what you buy as long as it has their brand on it.

Yea - I know a guy who use to work in a little music shop around here who went to work for PRS (their located about 3 hours away from here) and he really wasn't a tech-knowledgeable guy - he just went there to answer phones for them.

But I think we've gotten far enough off topic for one thread
I used a roland amplifier back from the 80's so marshall was an improvement for me. Aria is a ten year old guitar which approximately costed 400-450 euros so i believe that if i change the pick ups there should be some improvement.
Quote by tapperzzz
I used a roland amplifier back from the 80's so marshall was an improvement for me. Aria is a ten year old guitar which approximately costed 400-450 euros so i believe that if i change the pick ups there should be some improvement.

you can either trust us that the pickup swap won't make much of a difference until you upgrade your amp, or you can blow a lot of money finding out for yourself. your call.
Quote by tapperzzz

PLEASE tell me you didn't ditch a Roland Jazz Chorus for the MG.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by i_am_metalhead
IMO Gibson pickups are pretty average and extremely overpriced.

My exact thoughts.

Great post by grisky there too, don't be afraid to pepper a conversation with complete bullshit if it gets you what you want.

If you can talk yourself up without sounding like a condescending wannabe, you've got a bright future in music ahead of you!
Quote by TOMMYB22
PLEASE tell me you didn't ditch a Roland Jazz Chorus for the MG.

no, its a dac-10.

so what amplifier do you suggest to purchase?
What genres do you play? Any specific examples of artists within those genres?
What's your budget?
Are you willing to go used?
Do you gig?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
What genres do you play? Any specific examples of artists within those genres?
What's your budget?
Are you willing to go used?
Do you gig?

+1

We need to know this stuff before we can suggest you anything.
I generally play rock but sometimes i play metal. mars volta-red hot chili peppers-muse-metallica-in flames-soad-led zeppelin-pink floyd-faith no more-clutch and more according to my appetite.
i am willing to go used if its something very good.
i dont gig.
i dont have a budget right now but i would say something cheaper than 1000euros
Quote by tapperzzz
I generally play rock but sometimes i play metal. mars volta-red hot chili peppers-muse-metallica-in flames-soad-led zeppelin-pink floyd-faith no more-clutch and more according to my appetite.
i dont gig.

A Mesa. You should be able to get a Mark II/Mark III, a Lonestar, Stiletto, or an F-series for under 1000 euros easy if you go used.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
You need a fairly versatile amp.

A Line 6 Flextone would suit you well - but get the footswitch with it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by tapperzzz
i dont gig.

How much do used Vettas or Marshall Jubilees go for around you? I'd recommend either one for sure, although the Jubilee would need a boost for metal. A channel switching JCM800 2205 would work too, although the cleans aren't as good. You'd still need a boost for the more metal stuff too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
How much do used Vettas or Marshall Jubilees go for around you? I'd recommend either one for sure, although the Jubilee would need a boost for metal. A channel switching JCM800 2205 would work too, although the cleans aren't as good. You'd still need a boost for the more metal stuff too.

+1

I second the Vetta - the best modeling amp on the market, imo.

Also, I don't know much about Jubilees (other than John Frusciante uses them and I think Slash does/did) but I don't think they have too much gain on tap so you would definitely need a boost to get into metal territories.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Also, I don't know much about Jubilees (other than John Frusciante uses them and I think Slash does/did) but I don't think they have too much gain on tap so you would definitely need a boost to get into metal territories.

They have a tad bit more gain than the standard fare JCM800 but yeah, he would still need a boost. A JCM900 would probably work too with no need for a boost. I just think the tone of the Jubilee is better and it's an easier amp to work with.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Im getting a Epi LP custom, and will be getting new pickups and electronics. Are Burstbuckers better than Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz. I'll be playing Led Zep sort of bluesy clean sometimes, distortion other times, through my JCM 800.

I do like pickups with a bit of gain, and I like really trebly sounds, I normally have my tone turned up full and my presence and Treble on my amp up near full.

Opinions on which to get?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
I agree with the amp............The 498t is my personal favorite. Just enuff heat to get my Budda nice and gritty. It's used from Jazz to Blues, Metal, Indie Ect.